Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a bad rep at work forever?

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Going anon for this one. Basically Im in my job 6 and a half years and for the first few years did some stupid things which left me with quite a bad rep, stuff like calling in sick after a heavy weekend, offloading work to junior co workers, rubbing people up the wrong way and refusing to adapt to the culture. Now it wasnt 100& me as I dont agree with a lot of how the place is run and there are a few nasty people there but I have matured a lot the last 2 years and treat work like a place to do the best job I can and help those around me. Problem is my co workers have very long memories and cant seem to see past the old me, and everything I do is either viewed with suspicion or they bitch about me. Basically I cant do anything right and they will never consider me one of them, which is a shame as I spend a lot of my life in work.

The problem is I have a large debt that I really need the regular wage for to chop it down so leaving over the next 2 yrs simply isnt an option but for the moment my efforts are going nowhere and Im wondering does a bad rep in work ever leave you, Im guessing it doesnt so is it better to just get the head down and concentrate on the cash until the debt is cleared as this seems to be a one way street. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

Unfortunately you have made your bed and now you must lie in it.Unless there is a complete change of staff and management you are stuck with it,I suppose all you can do now is keep the head down and try not to add to your bad reputation maybe in time you may be forgiven for your past sins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Sorry to say, but yes, a bad rep sticks around like a bad smell.

By all means keep your head down and work hard.

But the saying that "You only get one chance to make a first impression" is very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Sorry to say, but yes, a bad rep sticks around like a bad smell.

By all means keep your head down and work hard.

But the saying that "You only get one chance to make a first impression" is very true.

I don't agree. Keep working hard and it will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In reality when you look at the time, you spent 4.5 years building up a bad reputation. That can't be forgotten or forgiven in just two years. Ultimately some people will always remember what you were first like, but over time that will fade provided that you keep your head down.

Workplaces are generally more flexible when people are younger; older people who get a reputation have difficulty shaking it, but I've seen a lot of younger people who make a bad name for themselves manage to turn people around when they grow up and act like an adult.

That said, a reputation as a slacker is one of the hardest to shift, especially when other people have had to pick up after you. The best you can probably aim for is another 2/3 years working hard, producing good results and so being able to leave at the end of it with a respectable reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Some managers let things go and some don't..

I would be fighting for lads to get decent EOY review and my senior manager would constantly throw up stuff from 2-3 years back, it made my blood boil.. sickies, not comeing in for OT, not staying late, costly mistakes, bad attitude.. All these would be thrown up after years..

Keep your head down, work away and in time prople will see you are making an effort.. Not what you want to hear but you may need to go out of your way to demonstrate you are a keen employee, take on additional work, extra helpful attitude..

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    Some managers let things go and some don't..

I would be fighting for lads to get decent EOY review and my senior manager would constantly throw up stuff from 2-3 years back, it made my blood boil.. sickies, not comeing in for OT, not staying late, costly mistakes, bad attitude.. All these would be thrown up after years..

Keep your head down, work away and in time prople will see you are making an effort.. Not what you want to hear but you may need to go out of your way to demonstrate you are a keen employee, take on additional work, extra helpful attitude..

BBAM is right, if you want to shift the bad rep quicker then the pendulum mus swing more from keeping you head down to stepping up. Take on some challenges, do some of the dirty work, actively support those that you previously dumped on and perhaps you ca get out from under the cloud quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 badrepshaker

Thanks for the replaies guys, I guess some people have extremely long memories and are not capable of the forget part of forgive and forget. Theres one guy who I said a stupid comment to 3 years ago and he still looks at me like Im dirt after all that time, despite my change in attitude and disposition. Im not going to break my balls trying to change other peoples opinions of me as Im pretty sure im black balled forever there, but since I need the cash I will keep my attitude professional and helpful as long as Im there. Theres a thousand ways management can make the message "You are not wanted" loud and clear without saying it- not being invited to meetings, having banter with all the other staff except me, no time for me when I make training requests but lots of time for others who want the same thing, ignored greetings etc etc etc. It upset me at first but I guess its not going to change so Ill have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Thanks for the replaies guys, I guess some people have extremely long memories and are not capable of the forget part of forgive and forget. Theres one guy who I said a stupid comment to 3 years ago and he still looks at me like Im dirt after all that time, despite my change in attitude and disposition. Im not going to break my balls trying to change other peoples opinions of me as Im pretty sure im black balled forever there, but since I need the cash I will keep my attitude professional and helpful as long as Im there. Theres a thousand ways management can make the message "You are not wanted" loud and clear without saying it- not being invited to meetings, having banter with all the other staff except me, no time for me when I make training requests but lots of time for others who want the same thing, ignored greetings etc etc etc. It upset me at first but I guess its not going to change so Ill have to.

I'd say stick out being the new improved you..
    If nothing else its practice for when you move to a better employer..
    And you never know, they may well take notice where you are now..

One thing just came to mind.

You say that you ave changed, but is this more visible to you than to your co-workers.

Have you actually apologized one-to-one to the people that were affected by your previous bad behavior?

While you have made changes it may not be obvious to them, a sincere apology would focus their minds on your new behaviors and offer an improved opportunity to change your reputation.

Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

really good advice from both bbam and Irish Elect Eng

And as a general rule of thumb I would say it takes twice as long to loose a bad rep as it does to get one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

One thing just came to mind.

You say that you ave changed, but is this more visible to you than to your co-workers.

Have you actually apologized one-to-one to the people that were affected by your previous bad behavior?

While you have made changes it may not be obvious to them, a sincere apology would focus their minds on your new behaviors and offer an improved opportunity to change your reputation.

Just a thought.

Probably takes two to tango!

Advertisement