Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent Fish Tank Filter

Options
  • 05-06-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a 80L (approx) fish tank and recently bought a 'INTREPET Internal Power Filter' for my fish tank, but it is VERY NOISY when it is turned on.

Has anyone any suggestions for an extremely silent one?

We have fresh water fish.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭m4r10

What do you mean when you say it's noisy?
    Is water splashing from the spray bar or is the actual filter making a rattling noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

m4r10 wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say it's noisy?
    Is water splashing from the spray bar or is the actual filter making a rattling noise?

The water splashing is fine, the filter/motor is noisy as hell. I only have it about a month.

I'd say the impeller is not seated properly in it's place due to probable recent cleaning. Don't know if the rod/shaft is made of ceramic, but if it's broken, that could make the impeller rattle.
    Just open it up and check the shaft and reseat the impeller, hopefully that will get it to be silent again.

m4r10 wrote: »
    I'd say the impeller is not seated properly in it's place due to probable recent cleaning. Don't know if the rod/shaft is made of ceramic, but if it's broken, that could make the impeller rattle.
    Just open it up and check the shaft and reseat the impeller, hopefully that will get it to be silent again.

It was a small bit noisy when I first installed it, but I put this down to that it had to be 'broken in' as such... But since the last cleaning I feel it's got worse?

Sofa King wrote: »
    It was a small bit noisy when I first installed it, but I put this down to that it had to be 'broken in' as such... But since the last cleaning I feel it's got worse?

There you go! Check the position of the impeller or maybe the lid that covers the impeller is not seated properly (I'm not familiar with your type of filter, but like most, it should have a cover in order to prevent the impeller slip from its place).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Also check for air in it. One of mine is loud as a mo'fo if I don't make sure all the bubbles are out before I turn it on.

I was about to suggest to check for air bubbles, but usually internal filters are not so fussy about them as the external ones.

Update:

I took it apart and put Vaseline on the impeller, so far it's about 80-90% quieter than what it was.

Hopefully it stays this way for the time being!

Is it possible to get a filter that doesn't make any noise at all? When I see some tanks I never seem to hear any noise.

Just wondering as this would be ideal!

Thanks for everyone's input also.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

The only noise my filters make is the water splashing, I never hear the motors in them.

Back to square one again, I checked the tank before I headed to work and it's gone back to it's noisy self again...

Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is adding vaseline to a fish tank wise? It's petroleum based, can't imagine it's good for the fish to have that seeping into their water?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭oldat31

Sofa King wrote: »
    Back to square one again, I checked the tank before I headed to work and it's gone back to it's noisy self again...

Help!

You need a new filter.

Advertisement