Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I need some support. Please help Galway area

• 05-06-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi All,
    I am just looking for some words of support. I am pregnant with our second baby :):):):):):).
    We had a homebirth with our first, who was born in water, and it was magical and wonderful and all the nice words I could type. However, I had post partum haemorrhage (mild) and retained placenta. So I was transferred to hospital for a few hours where they assisted the delivery of the placenta.
    As it stands now, I am not allowed to have another home birth, and I am very upset about that, very emotional and am slowly processing that in my head.
    I can totally see that they want to be cautious etc and they have rules etc, and I appreciate all of that, but I am a bit heartbroken about it, thoug I know I will get over that.
    I suppose part of it all is that I haven't experienced hospital birth in Galway and I hear mixed things about it. I have very strong needs to be left quietly to labour and have relaxing music etc and very minimal intervention. I am doing hypnobirthing and that worked well for me last time, and I am hoping it will work again. I am abit worried that I wont be able to use the pool if there is a queue etc and that I might not manage as well without the water. I would plan to stay at home for as long as I can anyways but, I suppose I am nervous of the hospital / interventions / my mojo being taken from me / the not-knowing of it all in comparison to how brilliant my whole first pregnancy and birth was.
    I am totally just focussing on having a healthy happy little ba and am trying to settle with that, but these nerves keep rearing their heads. I suppose I am wondering if anyone out there has shared this kind of experience, and or can offer words of advice about calm hospital birth in Galway?
    Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Hi I'm not in Galway but in a county close. Can totally see why your worried about a hospital birth. I wanted to have a homebirth but there is no midwife in the area or close enough by so I had to have hospital birth. My experience of it was ok, I was allowed bring in music and aromatherapy oils. I was pretty much abandened after i went in and had the trace done, good in one way but i was only allowed have 1 person in the room so stupid my sister and mother would have been massive support and encouragement for me along with my partner. There is no birth pool in the hospital I attended but there was a bath tub and I spent a good while in it, hopefully you will be able to use the pool but also ask for a bath if its busy.
    Write a good birth plan and bring it up at each midwife clinic, relax and I'm sure you'll get the birth you want even in hospital :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gleeky

Thanks very much for that.
    I am trying to relax into things a bit - I think Im getting there, its just the irrational fear of the unknown mixed with the disappointment. It would be nice if they let more than one person in. But if its not to be then I suppose its about knowing that you have all you need in each moment.
    I will indeed write a good birth plan thanks, I had not thought of bringing it into the midwife clinic so I will do that. Thank yuou :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Yes, it's noisy. Very noisy and busy.

They also won't allow you to birth in the pool, you can only labour in it.

What I would advise would be to go to the ante-natal classes and get a good tour of the ward.

I think you're in the process of coming to terms with the differences, but you're going to need to know all the facts before you can do that properly. I completely sympathise with you, a negative birth experince really really sticks and really the only option in most cases is to manage your own expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

From your post you have told us that you have to give birth in hospital.
    Would you consider traveling to Ballinasloe and having your baby there?

One of my friends decided to have her baby in Ballinasloe as a public patient.
    She ended up in a room on her own for some of the time she was in hospital.
    Both herself and her partner had high praise for the staff and said at the time how nice and helpful they were.

Shortly after this she was speaking to a friend who had a baby in Galway and her friend said it was very busy and the staff did not have much time to help her. She was sent home very soon after the birth also.

I know that you are sorry that you can't have a home birth. You have been given medical advice that you have to give birth in hospital due to better safety for you and the baby.
    One of my friends had a difficult pregnancy and due to medical advice and help both her and the baby (now aged 10) are still alive and well.

Advertisement