Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomson router from Magnet

• 05-06-2013 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

So, I have Magnet 70/20Mb VDSL installed, and i got a Thomson TG789vu modem installed... the problem is that the user interface is very basic (its for a USER, not ADMIN) and i cant do some things, like turn off the wireless, setup DMZ, etc... I have managed to turn off the firewall, and setup a "DMZ" firewall rule sending all ports (1-65535) to my REAL firewall.... but i think there should be a better option...

The username and password for the box is user and mygateway... i have tried admin and admin, admin on its own (both as a username and password) and admin and password, but it wont let me get in... Anyone know the real login details? Magnet have said they wont give out any details since "its not supported" but screw supported... I want to get it working the way I WANT IT, not how they do... what am i paying them for?

on a related note, the magnet guy did mention setting for their voice system and there were SIP settings for an ATA... this sounds tempting, especially if i can replace their box with my own VDSL modem, and hook up my own VoIP system to talk to theirs... any one know those details? :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Bit of good news... I managed to get the details to get into the router:

Username: admin
    Password: m4gn3tTG789

managed to do some testing, messing, etc, and found the details for Magnets SIP server. your phone number is your username, and the details for the rest are available on the modem. as for the password, I got chatting with someone in Magnet customer care over email and they gave me my password... Seems to allow me to connect from another device and i can call from that device too... All good so far... Also managed to turn off the wireless, but cant find any other options, like bridging, yet... will go digging more this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jamesnp

lotas wrote: »
    but cant find any other options, like bridging, yet... will go digging more this evening...

Previously I had my ADSL modem in PPPoE bridge mode and I'm wanting to do the same on this one.

I made a little progress, but then hit a bit of a wall. If you go to Technicolor Gateway and then click "Setup my Technicolor Gateway" you will get an option for bridge mode.

I haven't been able to get this to work, though I don't have my PPPoE password. I'd be interested to know if anyone else has any joy.

-jp

magnet support may be able to help you. I was talking to someone on email. they gave me the details for the modem, and how to connect to the phone service over SIP... might be able to tell you the PPPoE details too... mind you, all of this is "Not supported"! You break it, they wont help...

Yeah, support seem quite happy to give you any information you want — he was very happy to give me the above admin details and then talk me through how he would attempt to use the router in bridge mode (though, he did say that he hadn't actually tried it).

Once you have those admin details, the router is actually pretty feature rich, especially when you telnet in. Some of the config files are also easily accessible by ftping into 192.168.1.254 with the same admin credentials.

With the telnet login I was able to DMZ my Gargoyle QoS router, so all is working as it was previously with PPPoE.

-jp

do you have details about how you setup DMZ? i havent tried setting it up yet...

• Advertisement

I've actually since realized you can do it through the web interface.

Advanced Options > Click on the Device you want in the DMZ under "Home Network" > Click "Assign the DMZ to a local network device"

Then just pop in the internal IP of the device you want in the DMZ.

-jp

Hmmm.... under home network, i do not see any DMZ option... there is an option for PPPoE, but no DMZ... can you send on a screen shot or the URL you hit to get to this option?

Advertisement