Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Slow WIFI Speed

Options
  • 05-06-2013 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Just got UPC installed yesterday and the speed over wifi has been very bad, tried changing a few settings but nothing seems to be working.

Basically the speed keeps going up and down, one minute it's under 1 meg, next it shows 3 meg, then 10 and sometimes around 20. At the moment it won't even load pages on boards.

However whenever i connect through an ethernet cable the speed is consistant at 30 megs and ping around 20 ms so it seems to be just a wifi issue.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭zg3409

How many wireless networks can you see on a scan?

How far are you from the box?, can you move it closer?

What wireless device/card/laptop model are you using to connect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tom Halpin

So, we have just got new horizon upc box with 100 meg broadband. We had old upc with 50 meg speed and both laptops workied fine. Now Toshiba laptop is working fine through wifi with increased speed but Lenovo laptop (connects fine but) is really slow (speed tests give download speed of aprox 2 mbp - should be at least 50). Both laptops tested in same room beside router so i think router is fine. With the ethernet cable connected the speed increases to 90 mbp so the problem is between Lenovo laptop and wifi. The laptop is less than a year old (Lenovo ideapad Z580). operation window 8
    Network Adaptor is Broadcom 802.11n.
    Router details: Samsung Product Name SMT-G7400 Device Model/SKU SMT-G7400

I have tried rebooting the modem (horizon box) and restarting the laptop.
    I have ensured that the Network adaptor drivers are up to date.
    I have installed Google chrome and reset internet explorer (reset in internet options / advanced).
    I have tried different channels on the router.

When I troubleshoot the internet connections I receive the following error;
    "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection"
    details - the device or resource (wpad.net) is not set up to accept connections on port "the world wide web services (HTTP)".

At this stage I am not sure how to fix the problem and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Thanks.
    ps i am connected to the wifi and can surf the net - the speed is the issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Turn the wifi down to a 20mhz setting from 20/40mhz setting also they recommended to me to set security at WPA not WPA2, give it a go and see how you get on.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

nialler wrote: »
    Turn the wifi down to a 20mhz setting from 20/40mhz setting also they recommended to me to set security at WPA not WPA2, give it a go and see how you get on.

N

Set Security to WPA/WPA2

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bundy89

Hello Folks,

Hopefully some here can help me with this annoying issue.. In short I upgraded to the new Horizion box and all of a sudden my wifi speed is 18mbs max on a 100 mbs line, It hits 100mbs when hard wired, but wifi is terrible, I've had the technician out and he couldn't resolve it either. His laptop hit 50mbs wireless, so its strange.. My brothers laptop is the same brand also hits just 18mbs Dell" I've done almost everything. The technician reinstalled an old modem but its also the same. Here is a snap shot of my wifi card connection diagnostics and its given this "Internet ip Ping failed" I've tried everything to fix this, searched the whole net and still nothing.

Cheers in advance

Slowwireless.jpg

• Advertisement

Bundy89 wrote: »
    Here is a snap shot of my wifi card connection diagnostics and its given this "Internet ip Ping failed" I've tried everything to fix this, searched the whole net and still nothing.

There seems to be multiple things here.

1) Was you speed over wifi fine before the horizon box

2) With the horizon box added and now not used for wifi what is different in your setup from the start (Is the connection now split to two boxes instead of just one)

3) You would only expect to get 40 or 50Mb over 2.4Ghz non N wifi depending on your laptop wireless card. -Wired is always going to be faster. To get 100Mb wired you probably need a Gigabit wired ethernet port, and a fast computer.

4) Is your laptop connecting at all as "IP ping failed" suggests you cannot access the internet.

Overall it is probably a configuation issue between the laptop and the access point. First see is there a newer driver for your wireless card. Also find out what prococals can it handle such as 802.11b, 802.11n etc. You may never get max speed, but changing some settings on the access point wireless settings may improve things.

Hi zg,

I have an internet connection but its 18-20 max, yes it was faster prior to the Horizon box, The wifi on the Horizion box is disabled so its not split. My wireless card shows b/g/n in the 802.11 column.
    The card is up to date driver wise, I've even un installed it and re installed.
    I understand I will not get max speed through wifi but 18mbs on a 100mb line while in the same room is not right.

Cheers for the reply I'll mess around with the b/g/n settings and post back if any change.

Nope still nothing resolved.... :(

Doing my head in

I meant is the television coax cable now split in two to feed both the horizon box and the cable modem. The cable modem needs to see a strong signal. The horizon box has 5 TV tuners and a cable modem so it can such a lot of the signal. If you disconnect the horizon box TV cable and connect the cable modem only to the outlet, and re-sync, it may get a better internet connection.

The settings on the cable modem can also be important. If neighbours are using nearby wireless channels they can interfere.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I meant is the television coax cable now split in two to feed both the horizon box and the cable modem. The cable modem needs to see a strong signal. The horizon box has 5 TV tuners and a cable modem so it can such a lot of the signal. If you disconnect the horizon boxed TV cable and connect the cable modem only to the outlet, and re-sync, it may get a better internet connection.

The settings on the cable modem can also be important. If neighbours are using nearby wireless channels they can interfere.

Ah right I understand it is split with splitter like old configuration, I'll disconnect it and try a direct connection. Regarding the channels I have tried all them, I'm not clashing with close neighbours. Will report back later. Cheers

• Advertisement

Hi bundy

The splitter is making no difference as you're getting full speed when wired so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the internet connection or your computer's wired connection.

So we've two areas of issue, it's either the horizon box's wireless network or your laptop's wireless card (which i think is the culprit). If you have a mate/neighbour with a laptop I would try reproduce the issue, get their laptop to connect and see if the speeds are still terrible, if not then it's your laptop. if it's the same then it's the horizon box and a few settings will need to be adjusted.

n

nialler wrote: »
    Hi bundy

The splitter is making no difference as you're getting full speed when wired so there's absolutely nothing wrong with the internet connection or your computer's wired connection.

So we've two areas of issue, it's either the horizon box's wireless network or your laptop's wireless card (which i think is the culprit). If you have a mate/neighbour with a laptop I would try reproduce the issue, get their laptop to connect and see if the speeds are still terrible, if not then it's your laptop. if it's the same then it's the horizon box and a few settings will need to be adjusted.

n

Right here's the latest, I've just had a friend over with a Toshiba laptop running Vista and his speed was 15 - 18 mbs so for me it has to be their end, Also my brothers Dell laptop the same, But when the Tech was out last time he got 50mbs on his UPC laptop. Think I'll ask for another tech call out.

Nailler, I'm back on an old modem, but have a Horizion box for tv.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The OH laptop was only getting 25 mb from my UPC connection and then I bought a cheap wifi single in Argos and she gets full speeds now connecting at 150 maps on the wifi

Right I'm just down in Star Bucks on their free wifi and I'm still getting this "Internet ip ping failed" when I do the card diagnostics...

So I don't know where to go from here..

Card has no drivers to update, plus tried everything else, I also did a Dell support network card test from their site earlier and all is good.

Head melted :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I'm having on-going speed issues with UPC.

On the 60mb package.

Usually get an average download speed of 30mb on the wi-fi, and for what I'm doing that's grand.

What's killing me is random moments where it just drops to under 2mb.

The ping is still low, and the upload speed is still coming it at over 5mb, so it looks like the wi-fi is grand, it's just the service dropping off.

There's only one other wi-fi network nearby, and there's usually at most 4 devices on the wi-fi .

I usually just reset the router if it persists, but it's a tendency to happen when I'm gaming online at night, so the often mid-game drop in service makes it pointless.

Anyone any experience with this? Doesn't seem like a router problem.

Can anyone make any sence of this from the modem log...

Another technician coming out next week...

2013-09-14 15:51:52: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    2013-09-14 14:59:22: [Info] TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:32:e9;CMTS-MAC=0...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Warn] DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Info] Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
    --- -- --:--:--: [Info] WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 11 (Side-Band Channel:N/A...
    2013-09-13 12:53:56: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:53:56: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-13 12:41:57: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:41:57: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-13 12:10:57: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:10:57: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-07 22:10:34: [Major] Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    2013-09-06 19:18:52: [Major] Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    2013-09-05 19:03:19: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-05 19:03:19: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Major] No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Major] SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

Bundy89 wrote: »
    Can anyone make any sence of this from the modem log...

Another technician coming out next week...

2013-09-14 15:51:52: [Warn] Map Reject - Not Authorized for Requested Downstream Traffic ...
    2013-09-14 14:59:22: [Info] TLV-11 - unrecognized OID;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:32:e9;CMTS-MAC=0...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Warn] DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response ;CM-MAC...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Info] Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv4
    --- -- --:--:--: [Info] WiFi Interface [wl0] set to Channel 11 (Side-Band Channel:N/A...
    2013-09-13 12:53:56: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:53:56: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-13 12:41:57: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:41:57: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-13 12:10:57: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-13 12:10:57: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    2013-09-07 22:10:34: [Major] Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    2013-09-06 19:18:52: [Major] Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
    2013-09-05 19:03:19: [Major] TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register
    2013-09-05 19:03:19: [Major] TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3:3...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Major] No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=8c:04:ff:e3...
    --- -- --:--:--: [Major] SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

The Major problems are the cable modem is not connected to the network. This has nothing to do with wifi, but most likely a weak signal due to TV splitters in line and or old cable used between the modem and the tap point outside up on the facia board.

Ideally replace the modem and replace all cable and connection points.

However this log covers a number of days. Did the modem not work at all from 5th to the 14th?

Yes its working but wifi is crap for weeks now, the wired line hits 100mbs..

I have internet connection..

Also there is a mac device shown up and its none of mine nor is it someone hacking, it also shows up after a factory reset.

I've the Horizon box and old Technicolour modem running from same point split, (As UPC technician set it as so) as he couldn't fixing Horizion wifi.

I'll try running modem of direct point see what it reads.

Cheers

The mac is probably the access point mac or the horizon mac. Some devices have 2 or 2 macs. You should continue to check the wired speed is OK, as it may be dropping out now and then

Its not the Horizon mac as I checked that the other day, so it must be an access point then, Yeah will run more checks on the wired connection, I'll do the checks on splitter tomorrow when she's not watching tv.

Cheers Zg for feedback

• Advertisement

Right UPC guy was out earlier and apparently I've just coped what the problem is, UPC is broadcasted in 802.11n as the technician said and my wifi card shows as below

Wificard.jpg

It covers all 3 b/g/n it pic the top one, but when I visit Dell spec page it's say its just a b/g

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/driverdetails?driverid=k4h75

So this is why I'm just hitting 20mb download cause of Dell's $hitty wifi card, need to upgrade to and good Intel n card I reckon.

So if anyone else is having wifi issues this could be your problem.

Cheers lads

If getting another card make sure it also has 802.11a or 5GHz wifi. If you use 5Ghz instead of 2.4Ghz there is less users on this band so less interference. I have named my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz different names so I can be sure I am connecting to 5Ghz. The main downside of 5Ghz is that the range is less, so may not work though many walls etc. however when in range the connection and speed will be far more stable. 802.11n can be 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz and it is hard to tell. 802.11a is 5Ghz only, so a device claiming 'n' and 'a' has 5Ghz capability. Don't use a USB device as you USB may be only 2.0 or even 1.0 and this may also limit real world speed.

Depending on your access point you may also be able to double your speed by getting some devices such as phones and laptops to use 2.4Ghz while your other devices use 5Ghz. In some cases this can double the capacity available over wifi. I am using another make of wifi access point for increased speed and reliability.

zg 5ghz is disabled on the Horizon box and to be honest I don't remember seeing 802.11a there. The poster is probably better off getting an .ac card, the latest standard which is backward compatible with previous standards.

N

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

paulboland wrote: »
    Set Security to WPA/WPA2

hi there, i'm having a similar problem.

getting 200mb on ethernet and only 20mb on laptop.
    moved it to wpa and now getting 40mb.

any ideas? using a 2 year old hp with wireless n card

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

hi there, i'm having a similar problem.

getting 200mb on ethernet and only 20mb on laptop.
    moved it to wpa and now getting 40mb.

any ideas? using a 2 year old hp with wireless n card

same problem here... just got my Horizon box today. max 40 Mbit out of 200 wired gives me what is writen on the tin. My laptop is Alienware M14X with Qualcomm Killer wifi card that is N certified...

I spent 20 minutes with UPC tech on the phone but even though he tried alot of stuff it still has not helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Volthar wrote: »
    same problem here... just got my Horizon box today. max 40 Mbit out of 200 wired gives me what is writen on the tin. My laptop is Alienware M14X with Qualcomm Killer wifi card that is N certified...

I spent 20 minutes with UPC tech on the phone but even though he tried alot of stuff it still has not helped.

getting 200mb on wireless is hard, ive only got up 100mb from upstairs, after changing channels, i do have a wifi card that has 3 antenna's. my average is 60-80mb.

how much do you get when the laptop is sitting beside the horizon box?

best thing to do, but not the cheapest, but since you have an alienware... would be to set-up a better router and buy a good wireless dongle. ac standard, and go for expensive equipment. which would most likely already be ac certified, 5ghz also.

linksys ea6900 router.
    ae1000 wifi dongle.
    would probably be best.

im going to lead a cable from the horizon box to a switch in my attic and use some cat6e cables and rig my rooms upstairs with it, i'll put ethernet sockets beside the plug sockets of each room.
    i hate wireless when it comes to speed!!!!
    handy for handhelds though.

Lads double check your wifi card specs as my laptop displayed it as having b/g/n and It actually only had b/g.

I've a new card in now and I can hit about 80mbs through wifi, for faster wifi speeds you'll need to change over to the 5ghz setting I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Volthar

Monkeynut wrote: »
    getting 200mb on wireless is hard, ive only got up 100mb from upstairs, after changing channels, i do have a wifi card that has 3 antenna's. my average is 60-80mb.

how much do you get when the laptop is sitting beside the horizon box?

best thing to do, but not the cheapest, but since you have an alienware... would be to set-up a better router and buy a good wireless dongle. ac standard, and go for expensive equipment. which would most likely already be ac certified, 5ghz also.

linksys ea6900 router.
    ae1000 wifi dongle.
    would probably be best.

im going to lead a cable from the horizon box to a switch in my attic and use some cat6e cables and rig my rooms upstairs with it, i'll put ethernet sockets beside the plug sockets of each room.
    i hate wireless when it comes to speed!!!!
    handy for handhelds though.

Thanks for that. With the Horizon box I was only getting up to 40 with my laptop almost sitting on top of the box. Connecting the old technicolor router gives me 80+ and I am happy with that. I will probably go for a dedicated good router at some point.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Remember too that the likely positioning of the Horizon (under a tv in a corner possibly) does not favour good wifi speeds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement