Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunburn on white boxer

• 05-06-2013 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My white boxer has seasonal alopecia so has large bald patches with exposed skin on both sides of her body, I came home from work today and both sides of exposed skin appear to be sunburned. They are very pink and when I touch them she winches. I'm unsure how to treat this? Should I bring her to the vets? Is human after sun care safe to use?

Appreciate any advice please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ever2010

We have a black & white cat that I put sunscreen on, his ears are mostly white, so the skin underneath can get burned.

Do you have some natural yoghurt in the fridge? You could try some of that - if she licks it off it won't do her any harm.

There may be animal sunscreen so check with the vet. Just make sure that she's well hydrated.

Does she have a shady area to sit in when it's very sunny? I know our cats often sit in the shade of the long grass, and sometimes try to join the hens in their dust baths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

There is a veterinary aloe Vera you can get, I got it last year at the pet expo but I'm sure if you talk to your vet they would be able to recommend treatment for you. Sun cream really is essential though, I have to use it nearly every day on my black and white cat, I use la Roche posay factor 50 on him as it's unscented, about the only one he will put up with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have a boxer too, he only has a few patches of white though, whenever the sun comes out the sunscreen comes out. Especially on the lighter patches around his face. I have seen a few white boxers with melanomas as well so it's defiantely something to watch out for and be careful of.

Advertisement