Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Hurricane Season - TS Andrea

Options
  • 05-06-2013 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Well, we have the first storm of the season, Andrea. I wasn't expecting this storm to become a full blown TS, but it did, so maybe it will develop further.

215509W5_NL_sm.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Doesnt look like too much at the moment on the avn

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php - check the link for a full array of satellite pictures and different views

scroll down for Gulf Of Mexico

avn-l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

That's the thing - it looked like even less earlier today and yet here it is, a named system. Will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That's the thing - it looked like even less earlier today and yet here it is, a named system. Will be interesting to watch.

A bit of a more developed swirly motion going on now. Didnt realise my image above would automatically update :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Andrea up to 60mph now. Making a run for strong Tropical Storm status before she runs out of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Some of the discussion from NHC last night was talking about baroclinic factors having an impact on the system, so they seem to be saying that it would develop further before hitting land. It's forecast to be post tropical as it goes back out to sea by the time it reaches Maryland, but would it even survive intact that long over land? Hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

• Advertisement

Some of the discussion from NHC last night was talking about baroclinic factors having an impact on the system, so they seem to be saying that it would develop further before hitting land. It's forecast to be post tropical as it goes back out to sea by the time it reaches Maryland, but would it even survive intact that long over land? Hopefully it won't cause too much damage.

Once she goes inland Andrea will be pulled northeast moving very quickly and will be helped by baroclinic forcing so she should maintain tropical storm force winds over land. I don't think damage will be much of a concern as those are the type of winds experienced in severe thunderstorms around there. Rainfall and the risk of tornadoes probably more of corncern for some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Jake1 wrote: »

Yikes! Other half is in Tampa at the moment...must ask for some weather pics!

Darwin wrote: »
    Yikes! Other half is in Tampa at the moment...must ask for some weather pics!

yeah do, and make sure ye post them:) I was there last year during a bad storm, it was amazing, I loved it.

Some of the GFS ensembles showing ex-Andrea paying us a visit next week.

mj02Rq3.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Tae laidir

Quietest Hurricane Season we've seen in a long while.
    Global Warming/Extreme Weather Theorists are on the back foot!
    Dry Air/Sand blowing off the Sahara is being touted.

Advertisement