Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of Irish marathons on closed roads

Options
  • 06-06-2013 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭

Personally I am only interested in running a marathon that is on a closed road. Not something that I would like to be worrying about at 22+ miles. I don't know if there is an extensive list on this but I will start with the ones I know and perhaps people can add please.

Cork
    Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

rom wrote: »
    Personally I am only interested in running a marathon that is on a closed road. Not something that I would like to be worrying about at 22+ miles. I don't know if there is an extensive list on this but I will start with the ones I know and perhaps people can add please.

Cork
    Dublin

Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭aburke

Portumna Forest Marathon deserves a mention.
    The first 1 mile or so is on an open road, but after that it's all closed-roads, in the forest, in 5km loops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Longford and Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Longford and Waterford
    Admittedly it's been 5 years since I ran Longford marathon, but at the time it was all on open roads. Has this changed since? Thinking of going back there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Admittedly it's been 5 years since I ran Longford marathon, but at the time it was all on open roads. Has this changed since? Thinking of going back there this year.

Maybe i am wrong on this, but the half was on close roads, traffic on the other side of the road but thats the same for Dublin in Crumlin and Ballsbridge, which is grand, never bothered me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The Lakes of Killarney marathon was inside the National Park after the first mile. There was a small section per lap on a road but the runners' lane was coned off.

Advertisement