Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(Cross-province) car insurance, bank account, phone plan

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi need some advice. Got the 2 year visa, I'm starting from Quebec but going to be traveling and working across all Canada not staying in one place for too long.
    I bought a car in the states and got insurance with my international licence, im going to temporarily import it for the 2 years, I'm still covered by the insurance in Canada but will have to switch to Canadian insurance.
    From what I understand I'm going to have to register it in quebec, get quebec plates and insure it over there, then every time I move and get a job in a different province repeat the whole process. Is that right? Now with the insurance is there any companies that will insure me with an international licence or am I going to have to get a driving licence from each province and be considered a new driver and pay loads? Is it going to be easier and cheaper to get insurance from a company that has offices in all the provinces and then do the transfers but still stay with the same company? What's the process of taking out a licence? Do I have to give one up in order to get another from a different province?

With the bank I'm looking for something that has offices all over Canada and will charge me the least monthly fees, I don't need a credit card I'm fine with a debit card. Any suggestions?

Finally with the phone I want to buy just a sim card (my phone is not locked) and get a monthly plan with unlimited data and whatever amount of calls and texts. Looking for the cheapest plan that has ok coverage throughout Canada. Do you recommend anything?

Thanks so much, if you have questions about buying a car, insurance and phone plans in the states or about traveling in the states ask away.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

If Quebec insurance is anything like Ontario, you're going to be paying 3-4k minimum since you don't have a Canadian drivers license, if they'll actually even insure you

Advertisement