Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to drink...? Advice!

• 06-06-2013 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I don't drink alcohol, never have. Won't say never will. The most I might do in the future is a casual glass of wine at dinner or just to be sociable somewhere at somewhere appropriate... But I'm if at the pub with mates or something - which isn't often - what should I drink if everyone else is drinking pints/alcohol? What's the best thing to go for to be nearest to alcohol if you get my drift?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Dublinpato

Cidona taste like bulmers you could try that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Non-alcoholic Becks, non-alcoholic Koppaberg (it's a cider), non-alcoholic... beer? Tescos sells non-alcoholic wine, which would be handy for BBQ's and drinks at a friends.

Although I'm a drinker, I've gone to a few gigs sober, and if anyone questions why, I just say I'm driving (which is actually true; I'm not drinking, so may as well drive in and out).

I'm not sure if you're a man or a woman, but if you're a dude, take up the gym and use it as an excuse if you want; no-one really questions a manly answer such as "I have gym/soccer/rugby in the morning" or that you're driving. Nor sure what to say if your a lady, though, but taking up some such gym/soccer/rugby exercise, as well as being good for you may also be a good excuse.

Annnnd... I'm rambling :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Rock shandy is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I like the blue label Erdinger, if they don't have it then just lucozade. Didn't know Koppaberg did a non alcoholic cider, that's handy. I know what you mean though OP, pub servings of soft drinks are for mixers and are just a waste of time if you're sat in a pub for a little while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

In pubs, Cidona and Lucozade.

At home, the non-alcoholic Kopparberg. It's less than €2 a bottle in supermarkets but I've never seen it in pubs. Very sugary though, your teeth feel rotten after a couple bottles :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

I usually drink lucozade if I'm in a pub, a good sugar rush to prevent me from falling asleep! I've tried non alcoholic becks but I don't like it because I've gone off the taste of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Ginger Ale, Canada Dry is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Non alcoholic Becks is quite nice, only found out through this thread that there was a non alcoholic Erdinger, so must try that. I was in the pub on Saturday night (first time without alcohol) and I drank Becks, I felt I ‘stood out’ less as not drinking as once it’s in a glass, it looks like beer. I know appearances shouldn’t matter, but it meant I wasn’t having to explain to everyone why I wasn’t drinking or having everyone assume I was pregnant :mad: In fact, an off duty guard I was chatting to, did a double take when I took my car keys out as he had presumed I was drinking. I thought he was going to breathalyse me on the spot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Great to see pubs now offering NA Erdinger and Paulener instead of the bog standard Becks NA which i think tastes of dishwater.

I've noticed myself, over drinking NA beer in bar / party, it's actually how people react to you far less once you have something that looks like a beer in your hand. May sound silly but you feel far less left out when drinking a fake beer! It's like it has the placebo affect

Advertisement