Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portland/ia

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭

So I'm currently in Melbourne and I wish to move to Vancouver BC in 2014. However my visa runs out here in november. I'm an urban planner and portland has always interested me for its craft beers short blocks walkability and cycling of course. so who here lives in Portland? I would ideally be moving to Portland around December 2013 for anything up to 4 months maybe longer who knows working in a bar.

So my question

Is how easy is it to get bar work? I have bartended for about 10 years on a parttime/fulltime basis all through uni and during periods when I was Interning.

Is it easy to get a short term bedroom?

Is craigslist the best for this info?

I am an american citizen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I think finding bartending jobs is the same across a lot of major cities. If Portland is your place and you want to enjoy the craft beer scene, I would recommend you brush up on Portland beers and breweries. Most bars will offer a wide selection of these and having the knowledge will definitely help in the job hunt.

Here's a good place to start. Consider breweries also. They usually have tasting rooms, maybe even bars, and can be a great way to get your hands dirty in the craft beer world.

I would take a look at the temporary section of craigslist. Maybe also check out airbnb. You can find some long term rentals (i.e. several months) and usually the places are furnished, which can help if you're just starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Big question is what visa are you going to get, bartending won't get you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

OP is a US citizen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Doh! Teaches me to read to the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

yeah should of stated that from the outset. I was born in philadelphia and when I was 18 I moved to New York and bartended for 9 months, about 8 years ago now WOW time flies. I like my craft beers even brew a few myself, some times sucessful sometimes very unsucessfully :) AIRBNB seems great. The format seems the same to booking into a hotel on specified dates. Thanks Lisa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Seattle's full of breweries too. And you can get up to Vancouver really easily for visits. Nothing against Portland though, its a beautiful city, we just happen to be in Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

yeah Seattle would be the easiest option and I hear its a great city. However I'm a graduate/junior planner and my experience thus far had been solely in the realm of walkability and Portland is the Rome of the genre.

Advertisement