Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living abroad - Health insurance

Options
  • 06-06-2013 6:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭

Last September I moved abroad to take a year's contract. My employer pays for excellent health insurance, but obviously, I am not a permanent employee and this will expire when I finish working for them.

I was mid term on my VHI policy (PMI 08 11) when I left. I decided to keep paying but the policy is up for renewal now. I phoned VHI before I left and they told me that since I was non resident, I wouldn't be covered but that I could keep paying to avoid losing waiting periods.

And now employer is keeping me until Christmas at least.

I am scared if I let VHI lapse, I will get into waiting periods again, which worries me.

Any ideas what to do?

That policy is going up in price so I am considering moving to GlO 'Good' policy. Or giving up Irish health insurance altogether for the time being...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Have you explored the idea of taking the lowest level of cover that is available, and upgrading when you return to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I think that VHI offer a medical insurance policy that will cover you when working abroad. From memory if you have this policy you will not have waiting periods when you return to Ireland.
    I have just looked up the www.vhi.ie website but it is currently down.
    This site should be back up by 11.00 tonight (Irish time).
    I don't know what this policy will cost.
    Also if you look up hia.ie under consumer information you can get full information in regards to waiting periods.
    Hope the above helps you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Have you explored the idea of taking the lowest level of cover that is available, and upgrading when you return to Ireland?

I am looking into that. but I think that affects waiting periods too.
    okiss wrote: »
    I think that VHI offer a medical insurance policy that will cover you when working abroad. From memory if you have this policy you will not have waiting periods when you return to Ireland.
    I have just looked up the www.vhi.ie website but it is currently down.
    This site should be back up by 11.00 tonight (Irish time).
    I don't know what this policy will cost.
    Also if you look up hia.ie under consumer information you can get full information in regards to waiting periods.
    Hope the above helps you out.

The VHI global policy is extremely expensive. The only way it would make sense would be if employer switched from current policy (vanbreda expatplus) to VHI global and I don't think they will do that.

HIA is an excellent website and I have already looked at it and contacted them. They say my only option is to keep paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you take the lowest level of cover available you will not lose your waiting periods, however you will be subject to an "upgrade rule" when you move back up. This only applies to pre-existing conditions so if you don't have any conditions don't worry. If you have a pre-existing condition you will not be covered on the increased benefits of the higher plan for the first 2 years (if you're under 55). Hope that helps

Advertisement