Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vikings extras casting

• 06-06-2013 7:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Is on again.

Details are on their Facebook page Vikings Extras (sorry I can't put up link from my phone).

Did anybody go in for previous seasons castings?

What should we expect? They say to dress normally and it should take only 20 minutes, but I assume it will really be longer with queues etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Gonna pop in at around 12, and I'll expect 2 hour long queues...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Finally an advantage in having ginger hair (other than being the next Doctor in Doctor Who)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

According to rte they are looking for 5,000 extras, does this suggest more large scale battles?

Pity that there is not open role casting going all also

• Advertisement

Queue was only about 30 minutes. Went in, filled out a form, and got my picture taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Whats the Day rate for extras,many thanks in advance

How long does it take to find out?

I was in and out in 15 minutes today and the guy pulled me aside and asked if I could grow a beard. Don't want to go all scruffy(er) if I don't need to.

You'll be told sometime between now and November, or so I'm told (from the dude taking the photos).

the_syco wrote: »
    You'll be told sometime between now and November, or so I'm told (from the dude taking the photos).

Beard can wait then

• Advertisement

Beard can wait then
    From what I know, you don't get all that notice.

My manly mane will not need too much notice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CarbonX

Hootanany wrote: »
    Whats the Day rate for extras,many thanks in advance

Here is a load of info for you...

I was an extra (background actor) on season 1 of Vikings last year. I got 11 or 12 days work out of it, but could have done more if I was available.
    It is great craic & you will meet a wide variety of personalities & everyone is really friendly.
    It's not for the faint hearted though. If you do not have a motor you will have to make your way into Liberty Hall in Dublin city centre for about 05:15-05:30 or be at pre-designated stops along the way to Ashford studios Wicklow or on location. If it's a long day filming you may not get back to Dublin till 22:30, which is a bit of a marathon if you are in again at 05:15. Oh! there will not be any public transport at that hour of the morning so a taxi/lift is required.
    Q. What was the pay like?
    A. A standard day is 10 hours for which you'll be paid about E86. Overtime, of which there will be plenty, is about E12.60 per hour. Food & snacks are provided for free, but you may want to bring your own extra grub.
    You will probably also need good rain/wind gear to stop you getting soaked/ill.

An example of an average week from my old payslips is as follows;
    3 days work
    29.90 standard hours = 259.50
    3-3.5 hours overtime = 50.00
    Gross Pay = 309.50
    Total deductions = 51.56 (USC+Tax)
    Nett Pay = 257.94
    I had to get 3 taxis at E20 each so you may need to do the same = 60
    So all in all I got about E200.

As there is a lot of waiting around doing nothing it is advisable to bring a book &/or cards, board games, etc.

Best of luck to all taking part in Vikings season 2. The first season was Killer!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Cheers thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Sorry for bumping but I have a question for those who have worked on "The Vikings" How does this affect your social welfare payments. I have been called today to be on set on Monday. If I go in will I effectively be on a zero hour contract
    Currently getting just over €100 with Jobseekers allowance. How much do I need to earn to make it worth my. If my calculations are correct. If I earned €100 for a days work I would lose €48. is that correct.
    I calculated 100-20(disregard)
    =80 * 0.6 = 48
    Am I missing anything here. How do I prove which week I am not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Don't worry! With the amount of gold and silver you and Ragnar and the lads will loot from monasteries, you won't need the dole! :)

squonk wrote: »
    Don't worry! With the amount of gold and silver you and Ragnar and the lads will loot from monasteries, you won't need the dole! :)

lol cash for gold :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Sorry for bumping but I have a question for those who have worked on "The Vikings" How does this affect your social welfare payments. I have been called today to be on set on Monday. If I go in will I effectively be on a zero hour contract
    Currently getting just over €100 with Jobseekers allowance. How much do I need to earn to make it worth my. If my calculations are correct. If I earned €100 for a days work I would lose €48. is that correct.
    I calculated 100-20(disregard)
    =80 * 0.6 = 48
    Am I missing anything here. How do I prove which week I am not working.

Personally I think you would get a better response asking this in one of the Biz > Personal forums

Cheers for that Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Hello, any idea if castings for Vikings will be happening any time soon again?
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

bmstuff wrote: »
    Hello, any idea if castings for Vikings will be happening any time soon again?
    Cheers

Heard it on the radio today, 1 casting in temple bar the other in Wicklow, 13th of may in Temple bar and 14th of may in Wicklow, 5000 needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bablatrice

hey! I went to the season 3 casting-very fun! Does anyone know when to expect contact if successful? Lastly, were past extras previously contacted via email or phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

Bablatrice wrote: »
    hey! I went to the season 3 casting-very fun! Does anyone know when to expect contact if successful? Lastly, were past extras previously contacted via email or phone?

Went there too, was nice.
    Don't hold your breath.
    You provided phone and email address, if they want you they will reach out to you.
    They received over 7000 applications.
    Some have been called already.
    You never know they might call you tomorrow or in 2 months.
    They are filming until november I have been told. Shooting started last week or so.

Advertisement