Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway path Cork - Blackrock - Rochestown DOG SH*TE

Options
  • 06-06-2013 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Having a dog does not give you carte blanche to have it wander and crap everywhere, saw only ONE dog owner with a visible bag last night.:mad: The bottom of the ramp/steps at Blackrock absolutely stinks!

I'll admit the bins for the purpose are getting trashed and doesn't seem like the council are remotely interested in maintaining or emptying them but that doesn't excuse the crapfest!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I usually do that walk from the Castle to Rochestown every Sunday and seen a few people with bags but I agree on the bins, for the majority of the whole walk they're not really kept well at all for what is a very busy and well travelled walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

They should have a replace the bins that are there in fairness im sure it would cost them a lot less that digging up the roundiebouts. I laughed there was it Mcgonigle said they were new bins after going up on the loops as such from the Castle to Rochestown and I went walking there with the pooch there were me thinks two bins for the whole walk.. Well done to that.

I agree people should be taking more care, most defiantly it is horrible to see and walk into..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

The amount of owners that leave their dogs go and walk away with no shame astounds me. I have a pup and I always take at least 2 bags out on every walk just in case.

Down the Lough is particularly bad as well, and there's two specific dog poop bins there and multiple other regular bins scattered around the walk. This one particularly bothers me because so many kids play in the green area there and people having picnics and stuff on the grass.

It's not like it's a hassle or expensive to pick up after your dog. I get 150 bags for 1.49 in Dealz and they give away bags free at my vets.

I'd be more embarrassed to be seen leaving my dog poop in a public place and leaving it than I am of picking it up and carrying it around in the bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

There are a few spots where it really bothers me. Outside schools and creches. Buggies, small kids running into it. Come on.

Outside homes where there is a disabled spot marked. The person living in there is in a wheelchair you plonker. How is a disabled person supposed to get dogsht off their wheelchair?

The railway line I walk often as well, up to the atlantic pond end, it's not too bad that way. And I see a lot of people with bags when they have dogs. Fair play to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm a dog owner and people not picking up after their dogs is a pet peeve of mine, especially in the winter when I'm stumbling around a green area in the dark and praying I don't step in anything. It is a shame there aren't more bins on public walks, but that alone wouldn't solve the problem. Ballincollig Regional Park for example has a dedicated poo bin with bags and all supplied at the entrance to the park, but there is still poo lying around.

I think one of the things that puts people off is having to carry a warm, smelly little bag around with them on their walk. I make my dogs carry their own - I tie the bag to their harnesses. ;)

• Advertisement

You can get scented bags though right? I don't have a dog, but there are certainly scented nappy bags for dirty nappies for babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

this boils my blood. To see the extent of it just check out the popular walks during the early morning time or the late evening time, just when dogs are either up and due to their morning dump or right before they go to bed/settle in for the night.
    I don't go near that railway walk during the peak times anymore, I do my running on less walked roads/paths as I've given up trying to guess which direction a dog on no lead will walk.

The sheer cheek of the owners of these dogs is what gets me. Think of kids running around the place and parents trying to remind them of dog crap everywhere. It's disgusting and it says very little about the owners of these dogs.

However, has anyone ever approached such dog owners? I believe the only way this will improve is if dog owners feel they will not get away with it from the general public. There is no point in waiting for some council worker to come and do something..

As for the full bins, why can't they bring the dog crap home with them?

I've approached people about it. This old guy... his dog's favourite spot was on the footpath outside my house. New pile of crap every single day. I asked him a few times to take it away.

No joy. I followed him home one evening then to see where he lived. It was only about 20 houses up the road.

I shovelled it over to his doorstep every day for a week until he got the message. He probably just changed his route and annoyed someone else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

However, has anyone ever approached such dog owners? I believe the only way this will improve is if dog owners feel they will not get away with it from the general public. There is no point in waiting for some council worker to come and do something.

I've been thinking I might start taking out extra bags and if I spot someone letting their dog go with no intention of picking it up just casually being all 'Oh I have a spare bag if you need one'. Even then though I don't imagine most would take it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

I was in Myrtleville yesterday and I was truly shocked. The dog poop is the least of the litter and fouling problem in this country. My neighbours kids make more of a mess in our estate than any of the dogs. I welcome the poop- makes people keep their kids away.
    We put it on our wall to keep the kids off...
    I often wonder Why should I carry poop around til I find a bin or get home (yet I do!!!!!!!!!) when most people cant be bothered to teach their kids respect for their environment? or respect it themselves!

• Advertisement

all_smilz wrote: »
    I was in Myrtleville yesterday and I was truly shocked. The dog poop is the least of the litter and fouling problem in this country. My neighbours kids make more of a mess in our estate than any of the dogs. I welcome the poop- makes people keep their kids away.
    We put it on our wall to keep the kids off...
    I often wonder Why should I carry poop around til I find a bin or get home (yet I do!!!!!!!!!) when most people cant be bothered to teach their kids respect for their environment? or respect it themselves!

??? Someone else makes a mess so I should too? Awesome attitude.

And your house sounds really charming surrounded in faeces smeared walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭all_smilz

If you had read my post correctly
    No, my attitude is I clean up after myself and my dogs and people should do the same...
    I bring bags and gloves with me ALL the time.

Sadly we have had problems with people climbing into our garden to go gatting or other such scumbaggery in the fields adjacent causing damage to our garden and frightening our dogs and disturbing our peace
    Also the poo on garden walls had to be a last resort and is on the tops of the walls at the side of our garden not our actual house. (Seriously I have to explain this? DOH!).
    I regularly go on estate clean ups and do my own bit to get rid of fag butts and trash from local kids. Our house is one of 8 or 9 in 90 to have nice plants and flowers growing outside. It is lovely little house, I am working very very hard to pay my mortgage and bills.
    What is the point of anyone making a comment if you are just going to insult them and misconstrue their posts.
    My point was human litter is as bad as dog litter and people should do something about both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aww, this p1sses me off no end. And I bet a lot of the little darlings aren't even wormed, never mind having shots. I'm sick of walking and having to look down. Cork City is absolutely filthy from the dog crap on the fcuking pavements...

I have a dog and DO clean up after him. I'm pathological about making sure I have bags ALL the time - coat pockets, handbags, kitchen, car. You name it, there's probably a poop bag lurking SOMEWHERE!!! FFS, the council will even give you FREE poop bags on production of a licence. There is NO excuse for not cleaning up after the dog. Perhaps I'm too English. It's unacceptable to leave the dog crap on the road or in the parks at home, and people will happily report you (or worse!) if you don't pick up.

The council have made a start in providing bags. Now they have to do something about providing suitable bins and making sure they're emptied on a regular basis. There's plenty of bins on the Railway Walk, but they've been full for WEEKS! A disgusting health hazard if ever I saw one.

I've mentioned this before, but there's a definite North/South divide when it comes to rubbish and dog bins. I've never seen a dog bin over the Northside. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pee wee stairmaster

Unfortunately like everything else in this country, until you have convictions and heavy fines for owners will you see any real change for the better. Same goes for fly tipping rubbish, graffiti, on street anti social drinking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Totally disgusting, some parts of the city are so bad you can hardly walk in a straight line and just have to keep looking down! These walks would be lovely if everyone did their part in keeping them clean, it's not that hard but people are too lazy and thoughtless it seems, very annoying and puts me right off of going for walks in some of these popular walkways.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

We just can't help ourselves we are a race of pigs, be it dog poo,litter and my personal fav parking in disabled spaces. On the city side of Carrs Hill this morning a black bag full of rubbish all over the grass verge, thank you for that whoever you are, scumbag. Black BMW yesterday by the filling station on the South link dropped a black bag off, did not get his number ,again thank you.

GAA pitch in Ballyphehane always full of dogs crapping, christ almighty children play there, do we have any regard for anyone else.
    I have said it to people about their dogs crapping and almost got into fights a few times.
    I find middle class women the worst.
    I was going to say we need to enforce the law but then I realised I live in Ireland.

^^ always good to get some casual sexism chucked into a chat about dog sht.

Anyway....
    Has anyone looked at the plans for the cork "superpark" around that area?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/public-get-chance-to-view-plans-for-phoenix-park-style-amenity-in-cork-233473.html

http://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/draftmarinaparkmasterplan/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

I have a dog (and poo bags) and always pick up! But there isn't a lot of bin facilities en route to deposit. Completely understand people being fed up walking on dog poo, especially if it's on the walk.

But, what about those cyclists who think it's a speedway? I really think they are far more of a danger. I realise I have opened a can of worms - but am fed up with people thinking they are in the peloton, with little regard for walkers, little kids or dogs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But, what about those cyclists who think it's a speedway? I really think they are far more of a danger. I realise I have opened a can of worms - but am fed up with people thinking they are in the peloton, with little regard for walkers, little kids or dogs!!!

Have you been hit by a cyclist or seen someone be hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

true about the cyclist too im one and some of them scare the crap out of men. two older lads came towards me the other day on racers with the whole we own the world vibe. took over the full path quite rude I thought. there should be some kind of system for people to walk on the left and come back on the right or something and for all bikes to have bells to prewarn.

I quickly looked at the plans yesterday to be honest I was ready to hate it, but it isn't looking too bad..I just hope they don't stick high charges on the kids parts and that.must take a porper look this evening..i worry about the bird nesting in the pond though would it all disturb them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Have you been hit by a cyclist or seen someone be hit?

Not a person, but over 2 months ago a dog was run over and killed. Unfortunately, I happened to witness that - the bike was just going so fast, it couldn't stop. It was horrific for the owner. Thankfully it wasn't a little child:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Not a person, but over 2 months ago a dog was run over and killed. Unfortunately, I happened to witness that - the bike was just going so fast, it couldn't stop. It was horrific for the owner. Thankfully it wasn't a little child:(

Was the cyclist okay? I'd imagine it was pretty horrific for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Was the dog on a lead?

It is a great amenity but very hard to enjoy a walk there to be honest. Ruined by some selfish dog owners and cyclists going too fast. Can never really relax and enjoy a nice walk as you actually have to pay more attention than of you were on a footpath next to a road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I'm a dog owner and people not picking up after their dogs is a pet peeve of mine, especially in the winter when I'm stumbling around a green area in the dark and praying I don't step in anything. It is a shame there aren't more bins on public walks, but that alone wouldn't solve the problem. Ballincollig Regional Park for example has a dedicated poo bin with bags and all supplied at the entrance to the park, but there is still poo lying around.

I think one of the things that puts people off is having to carry a warm, smelly little bag around with them on their walk. I make my dogs carry their own - I tie the bag to their harnesses. ;)

I did that too but then I felt bad it was so close to her face!

In regards the dog fouling bit, I was at a residents meeting about 2 years ago with the local counseller who was speaking of a recent visit he had taken to a local primary school. While there it seemed he got it into the kids head that you should pick up after your dog. His belief was to hit them young, and then they'll grow up with this attitude and that that was how they were solving it. Problem is they'll grow into teenagers who think its uncool and disgusting to pick up after your dog!

I have a dog (and poo bags) and always pick up! But there isn't a lot of bin facilities en route to deposit. Completely understand people being fed up walking on dog poo, especially if it's on the walk.

yes, have to agree with you about the cyclists too. It is against the law for anyone to cycle on a footpath but it's becoming more and more prominent by all types of cyclist, male and female.

It is however the man in their 40s+ who think they are heading down the Champs-Élysées on the last day of 'le Tour' - give it up lads, your dreams are as big as your guts hanging over that saddle.
    Have some respect, get on the road :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

yes, have to agree with you about the cyclists too. It is against the law for anyone to cycle on a footpath but it's becoming more and more prominent by all types of cyclist, male and female.
    :

In all fairness it's not a footpath so cyclists have as much right to it as dogs, walkers, runners and roller bladers. I had friends living out in Passage and used to always use it to get over there as a teen because it was safer to cycle and takes half the time and effort. If a cyclist is endangering you, it's not because all cyclists are endangering you, it's because that cyclist is a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BeckyBloomwood

It is however the man in their 40s+ who think they are heading down the Champs-Élysées on the last day of 'le Tour' - give it up lads, your dreams are as big as your guts hanging over that saddle.
    Have some respect, get on the road :mad:

I'm a cyclist and cycle down there regularly. It's clearly signposted as both a cycle path and a path for pedestrians - we have just as much right to be there :) There'll always be one or two without any manners that give the rest of us a bad name. :)

OP, my Dad was only giving out yesterday about the amount of dog mess down there, it's ridiculous. It's nice to read that some people are at least conscientious about it! :)

I'm a cyclist and cycle down there regularly. It's clearly signposted as both a cycle path and a path for pedestrians - we have just as much right to be there :) There'll always be one or two without any manners that give the rest of us a bad name. :)

OP, my Dad was only giving out yesterday about the amount of dog mess down there, it's ridiculous. It's nice to read that some people are at least conscientious about it! :)

ah yeah I know it's only a handful of cyclists who are the problem, and it was those I was referring to in my rant, re 'le tour' etc. Sure I've often used that path myself when teaching my daughter how to cycle a bike properly while teaching her awareness for others etc.
    Agreed, it's a great amenity, which is why it bothers so many to see it becoming a toilet for dogs (and we're back on topic;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

The Rochestown - Passage section is marked as segregated into walkers/cyclists sides of the path. The City - R.town section isn't.

I cycle it a bit (albeit slowly, not one of the brightly coloured head-down ar*e-up brigade)
    Sometimes have to make some audible gear changes or ring the bell to get gormless walkers taking up the whole width of the path. Trying to guess which way Bonzo is going to run whilst marking his territory or sniffing another dog's butt is a challenge indeed. Way too many dogs off leash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

From what i gathered this great amenity was actually paid from a cycling fund.

I use this regularly 2 to 3 times a week. I'm a dog owners as well and the way people just let there dogs off leads and let run wild is madness i have came so close to hitting dogs its not only been taken off once mainly i was worried about my bike which has cost me around €5k. It would be an expensive mistake for dog to be off his lead and take and cyclist out of it.

I think its clearly sign posted around the path that left hand side is for bike and right for walkers but walkers normally walk four abreast block the whole place up. maybe they should do like other cycleways and paint a white line down the middle with once side for bikes and one side for walkers.

As for the doggy DOO DOO well they are just a bunch dirty MF.

Advertisement