Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway path Cork - Blackrock - Rochestown DOG SH*TE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BeckyBloomwood

The Rochestown - Passage section is marked as segregated into walkers/cyclists sides of the path. The City - R.town section isn't.

I cycle it a bit (albeit slowly, not one of the brightly coloured head-down ar*e-up brigade)
    Sometimes have to make some audible gear changes or ring the bell to get gormless walkers taking up the whole width of the path. Trying to guess which way Bonzo is going to run whilst marking his territory or sniffing another dog's butt is a challenge indeed. Way too many dogs off leash.

Ah right, I've never cycled the Rochestown - Passage section of the pathway so I didn't know that. :o I agree with all of what you've said though, definitely way too many dogs off the leash. I'm quite happy to keep out of the way of pedestrians as much as possible, but when they're taking up one side of the path, and their dogs are roaming all over the place on the rest of it, it's kind of difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 bofinfan

What a turn off to walkers - dogowners have to be more responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Was down there today, my son is learning how to cycle and he went straight into some. Nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Was down there today, my son is learning how to cycle and he went straight into some. Nightmare!

ah jaysus, that is a nightmare. You must be so annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I would only ever be on the path but have only very very rarely seen dog poo on it.
    Only problem I have come across with users is the odd dog owner that allows "dangerous breeds" off the leash. I saw a poor scottish terrier attacked by a bull terrier one paddys day about 8 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

We have both a dog and a 2.5 year old and the amount of dog ****e is a disgrace. Virtually guaranteed that if the little man wheels his balance bike onto the grass then there'll be a major contamination. For every 5 dogs taking a ****e I'd say we only see one owner actually pick it up. I know the council probably don't have the resources but if they could send out a warden even just a few times on weekends or evenings over the course of a month handing out on the spot fines it might scare some of the regular offenders straight?

And whilst there are a couple of cyclists who treat the route like the Daytona speedway most in fairness are able to apply common sense. Don't forget that the bells on the bike are for alerting others to your stealthy presence, don't be afraid to use them! I think Irish people sometimes think its rude or obnoxious to use the bell. We've had some near misses though where a cyclist has been bombing it and we had no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We have both a dog and a 2.5 year old and the amount of dog ****e is a disgrace. Virtually guaranteed that if the little man wheels his balance bike onto the grass then there'll be a major contamination. For every 5 dogs taking a ****e I'd say we only see one owner actually pick it up. I know the council probably don't have the resources but if they could send out a warden even just a few times on weekends or evenings over the course of a month handing out on the spot fines it might scare some of the regular offenders straight?

And whilst there are a couple of cyclists who treat the route like the Daytona speedway most in fairness are able to apply common sense. Don't forget that the bells on the bike are for alerting others to your stealthy presence, don't be afraid to use them! I think Irish people sometimes think its rude or obnoxious to use the bell. We've had some near misses though where a cyclist has been bombing it and we had no idea!

Comparing this walkway to one I use in Edinburgh and there's no comparison. If anyone is familiar with Edinburgh, it stretches from Leith to Murrayfield and it's almost spotless. It's used by walkers commuting, cyclists and dog walkers. Bells are used, people stick to the left on the direction they're travelling. Everyone is happy, see this when I'm home then and I wonder what went wrong. Fair enough no wardens but people need to take responsibility also.

Advertisement