Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extermination through sterilisation - the solution to "skangerism"

Comments

gosplan wrote: »
    The Traveller community would be first to go. Little education, no employment etc etc. All of them sterilised.

A group of which 84.3 percent are 'unemployed', I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I will respond to all your post but I just want to make sure you understand that a standardised test is rendered useless with different variables applied? I’m asking in determining aptitude via a state test would not the addition of non-state supports to one group throw the test results?

I see what you're getting at, what's the solution though? You can hardly deprive those parents that want to give their kids the best start they can, and any available advantage, the right to do so?

You could argue there shouldn't be a need for private schools and you'd be right. However there will always be a market for private schools, with the best teachers available, the best teaching aids etc. etc. This won't change as long as there are people that do see the value in education, or even just people (lets be honest) that don't want their kids mingling with the plebs.

Essentially what we're getting to is that life isn't fair, which it isn't and it will never be. That does not however, give anyone the right to display any of the behaviours so widely discussed in this thread and so widely observed in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

wexie wrote: »
    I see what you're getting at, what's the solution though? You can hardly deprive those parents that want to give their kids the best start they can, and any available advantage, the right to do so?

You could argue there shouldn't be a need for private schools and you'd be right. However there will always be a market for private schools, with the best teachers available, the best teaching aids etc. etc. This won't change as long as there are people that do see the value in education, or even just people (lets be honest) that don't want their kids mingling with the plebs.

Essentially what we're getting to is that life isn't fair, which it isn't and it will never be. That does not however, give anyone the right to display any of the behaviours so widely discussed in this thread and so widely observed in this country.

After working for years in education, I have come to realise that the tragedy of the education system is that it's least valued by those who could benefit most from it and over-valued by those who have least need of it.

If Oisin from Dalkey get's pushed into grinds and the institute for sixth year and gets Law instead of BESS, it's really going to make very little difference to his life.

However, when Madser from Killbarrack's parents let him take loads of days off in second year cause school is a waste of time and eventually don't give him any sh1t when he drops out in fifth year. I mean shine what difference qualifying in BESS would make to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

mike65 wrote: »
    Since the sun put its hat on Dublin has seen riots on a beach in Portmarnock, a gang of feral youths in near Dalkey smash up some poor chaps car while he was in it, that same gang terrorise passengers on a bus and last night a train was invaded by louts on the journey between Pearse Street Station and Maynooth. Blood was spilt before the Guards arrived.

Rather than wring our hands at the horror of it all, is it time to just acknowledge
    that there is a strata of society that will never be reformed regardless of best intentions and state spending and that sterilisation of the Skanger class is the best way forward. It won't catch all the bad genes but certainly a large % will be wiped out without killing anyone.
    Actually that gang of feral youths smashed up the poor chaps car at Howth Junction not Dalkey so at least get your facts 100% correct before you come on here spouting your rabble.

I do agree that skangers are a blight on society but so are the bankers and developers who got this country in the mess it's in yet you don't suggest that they be sterilised. Why is that?. I am no apologist for skangers and if they cause trouble they should be dealt with by the full force of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

mike65 wrote: »
    Since the sun put its hat on Dublin has seen riots on a beach in Portmarnock, a gang of feral youths in near Dalkey smash up some poor chaps car while he was in it, that same gang terrorise passengers on a bus and last night a train was invaded by louts on the journey between Pearse Street Station and Maynooth. Blood was spilt before the Guards arrived.

Rather than wring our hands at the horror of it all, is it time to just acknowledge
    that there is a strata of society that will never be reformed regardless of best intentions and state spending and that sterilisation of the Skanger class is the best way forward. It won't catch all the bad genes but certainly a large % will be wiped out without killing anyone.

Sadly yes. This strata does not even want to reform - that's the thing - they want to destroy, to attack, to intimidate etc. It is what they aspire to. 35 years in Dublin has taught me that and now their children are repeating the cycle all over again.

Also, stop funding them. Reduced dole payments for repeat criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Why is everyone talking about skangers / scumbags as if the term is a class distinction? It isn't. It's nothing to do with background. A scumbag is someone who engages in anti social behavior, or to refine a bit, someone who engages in anti social behavior as a way of life. Plenty of those among the well off. Wasn't the lad who kicked a random journalist to death on Camden Street there a few months back from a well off family for example?

Ironically enough, it's usually the people who defend them who apply the term to working class people. In fact, assuming that a thread about scumbags refers to working class folk betrays more about your own prejudices than about anyone elses!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Why is everyone talking about skangers / scumbags as if the term is a class distinction? It isn't. It's nothing to do with background. A scumbag is someone who engages in anti social behavior, or to refine a bit, someone who engages in anti social behavior as a way of life. Plenty of those among the well off. Wasn't the lad who kicked a random journalist to death on Camden Street there a few months back from a well off family for example?

Ironically enough, it's usually the people who defend them who apply the term to working class people. In fact, assuming that a thread about scumbags refers to working class folk betrays more about your own prejudices than about anyone elses!

you are one hundred percent correct !!!

but unfortunately , if you posted a picture of a skanger and asked people what social class they thought he came from , i would imagine working would be the answer

not many lads from dalkey or howth sell gear down the board walk,
    plenty from sean mc dermot st and east wall do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If I worked for the Indo I'd just write this up as a feature article for the Op-ed pages.

That possibility alone means I should probably apologise! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

I can see no difference at all between the exaggeration of the OP and your own inflated sound bites. What makes it okay for you to call strangers "mentally ill"?
    Personally I wouldn't use the term because it:

a) Is a slur on those who are suffering from mental illness yet have never had a blameless thought in their head.
    b) Provides an excuse to those quasi-fascists (and that's not hyperbole) who would seriously suggest mass sterilisation as an answer to deep rooted social ills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Rezident

I have a similarly stupid better idea. How about we non-skanger people simply outbreed the skangers? The government could implement a pay-as-you-go sex grant to encourage increased sexual activity among the decent people of Ireland.

We can't outbreed skangers, we have to go to work or go looking for jobs etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why is everyone talking about skangers / scumbags as if the term is a class distinction? It isn't. It's nothing to do with background. A scumbag is someone who engages in anti social behavior, or to refine a bit, someone who engages in anti social behavior as a way of life. Plenty of those among the well off.
    +1000. I've seen plenty of antisocial shenanigans from the rugger bugger set. One such scumbag I knew was a feted member of the senior rugby team from one of the big name fee paying schools in Dublin. Loved starting fights and kicking in car wing mirrors was another jolly jape of his. Twat.

One of the worst junkies I ever knew was another from a similar background. Broke his family's heart that prick. The perfect example of the notion that some people are just born "wrong" no matter what the background. His brothers and sister were sound out, the parents were the epitome of sound, the perfect example of "coming from a good family" and knowing them one I'd believe, yet he was just one of those mouthbreathers, a waste of air, the type that will always be another skidmark on the y fronts of humanity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Reekwind wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't use the term because it:

a) Is a slur on those who are suffering from mental illness yet have never had a blameless thought in their head.
    b) Provides an excuse to those quasi-fascists (and that's not hyperbole) who would seriously suggest mass sterilisation as an answer to deep rooted social ills

sorry , but wanting to kill a large group of people is a form of mental illness

its not a dig at mental illness or people who suffer from it, but it is what it is

some of the comments on this thread are from posters on the verge of being a sociopath,
    and as far as i am aware , that is a mental illness

what other description should i have used ?
    some people just want to be outraged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'd love to know when the word skanger became synonymous with scumbag in general. The Collins dictionary certainly disagrees.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/skanger

The fact is it has a very specific class connotation. It is used widely to describe an accent, clothing, music tastes enjoyed by a majority who are not involved in anti-social behaviour. They may be distasteful to some of the classist snobs who troll this forum but they are not scumbags and they are not criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Why is everyone talking about skangers / scumbags as if the term is a class distinction?

It's deliberate.

It's a strawman. It's easier to argue against the sterilisation of the working class than it is to argue against the sterilisation of the criminals to which Mike65 was referring.

When they don't have an argument against sterilising scumbags, they they either create a strawman or assume that scumbag == working class. As you quite rightly pointed out, that says a lot about how they think.

Another option available when you have no argument is to argue about the implementation. I think Mike65's idea for determining a scumbag may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek - there were some criteria there which don't necessarily apply to scumbags. Still, arguing about the problem of implementation seems to concede that the idea itself is goo but just difficult to implement.

Personally, I think you could safely say that someone with 27 criminal convictions and having never worked in their lives could be safely called a scumbag. There may be extenuating circumstances, but that's what judges are for.

This is all obviously only a pipe-dream given the international conventions that we've signed up to but as a solution to a genuine problem, it's definitely worth discussing as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'd love to know when the word skanger became synonymous with scumbag in general. The Collins dictionary certainly disagrees.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/skanger

The fact is it has a very specific class connotation. It is used widely to describe an accent, clothing, music tastes enjoyed by a majority who are not involved in anti-social behaviour. They may be distasteful to some of the classist snobs who troll this forum but they are not scumbags and they are not criminals.

I always thought that a skanger (like skank) was a female scumbag. I actually asked a scumbag from whom I was buying hash 14 odd years ago and that's what I was told. I think that maybe my fellow culchies and dublin's middle classes just didn't realise there was a distinction.

Any working class dubs on boards to straighten us out?

• Advertisement

I always thought that a skanger (like skank) was a female scumbag. I actually asked a scumbag from whom I was buying hash 14 odd years ago and that's what I was told. I think that maybe my fellow culchies and dublin's middle classes just didn't realise there was a distinction.

Any working class dubs on boards to straighten us out?

skank is a female scumbag , but a skanger is nearly a sub class , the not give a **** knacker who will fight with his mot on the luas over a can of dutch gold while thier 2 kids look on indifferently , that is a skanger
    they may look like some working class , but they are a very different person.

not everyone who has a tracky and a gold ring is a skanger.

** i live in a working class estate , high poverty , low level of education or employment , but 90% of the people are working class , the rest are skangers , does that make any sense to you? **

But that is not how the word is used. It is used as a catch all term for a a certain accent and a certain look. People have no problem calling all tracksuit and sovereign ring wearing Dubs with a certain accent skangers. That's the way it has always been used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dj jarvis wrote: »
    you are one hundred percent correct !!!

but unfortunately , if you posted a picture of a skanger and asked people what social class they thought he came from , i would imagine working would be the answer

not many lads from dalkey or howth sell gear down the board walk,
    plenty from sean mc dermot st and east wall do.

That's just because enough of their mates buy off them to keep them in business without having to risk selling publicly :pac:
    (NOTE: In all seriousness, I'm only half joking about that. I went to a private school and live in Sandycove, and if I wanted to buy anything I'm not supposed to be buying believe me I'd have absolutely no need to venture down any dodgy dark laneways and would have multiple reliable sources to choose from ;) So that particular stereotype might not be quite as accurate as you think. There are just as many dealers and what not, they're just a lot more discreet about it.
    Note also that I don't do drugs but I don't actually have a moral problem with anyone who does, it's your body. When I talk about anti social behavior I'm talking about the people who brawl in broad daylight and steal from passers by, and to give you one example, on the night of my graduation from school a couple of my friends were attacked at a bus stop in Blackrock by a couple of lads from another south dublin private school who stabbed one of my mates in the face with a bottle, almost taking his eye out and leaving him needing a bunch of stitches - I won't name either school for obvious reasons, but I can think of plenty of other examples of scumbaggy behavior I've seen over the years in those circles, and in my view it's less frequent and more well hidden / discreet (less broad daylight stuff) but that in no way means that it's not a problem. Actually I'd almost argue that it's more of a problem to be honest, when something like that happens in broad daylight at least it's easier to find out who did it and administer some kind of justice.

But that is not how the word is used. It is used as a catch all term for a a certain accent and a certain look. People have no problem calling all tracksuit and sovereign ring wearing Dubs with a certain accent skangers. That's the way it has always been used.

partly correct , thats looking in on these areas , but IN the areas there is a clear distinction between poor working class and someone being a skanger.

just like not all people from leafy d4 are stuck up rugby payers as the perception by some is.

what qualifies a person as a skanger ?

accent - no , dress - no , education - no
    its their actions and the way the interact with others and society in general

plenty of people i know would be classed as skangers by their accent , but they are far from it , good people who have no ( or little :D ) criminal records , treat their family and neighbours with respect.

all the things a skanger would not do or be

That's just because enough of their mates buy off them to keep them in business without having to risk selling publicly :pac:
    (NOTE: In all seriousness, I'm only half joking about that. I went to a private school and live in Sandycove, and if I wanted to buy anything I'm not supposed to be buying believe me I'd have absolutely no need to venture down any dodgy dark laneways and would have multiple reliable sources to choose from ;) So that particular stereotype might not be quite as accurate as you think. There are just as many dealers and what not, they're just a lot more discreet about it.
    Note also that I don't do drugs but I don't actually have a moral problem with anyone who does, it's your body. When I talk about anti social behavior I'm talking about the people who brawl in broad daylight and steal from passers by, and to give you one example, on the night of my graduation from school a couple of my friends were attacked at a bus stop in Blackrock by a couple of lads from another south dublin private school who stabbed one of my mates in the face with a bottle, almost taking his eye out and leaving him needing a bunch of stitches - I won't name either school for obvious reasons, but I can think of plenty of other examples of scumbaggy behavior I've seen over the years in those circles, and in my view it's less frequent and more well hidden / discreet (less broad daylight stuff) but that in no way means that it's not a problem. Actually I'd almost argue that it's more of a problem to be honest, when something like that happens in broad daylight at least it's easier to find out who did it and administer some kind of justice.

i said not many would be from dalkey or howth , not none !!

• Advertisement

partly correct , thats looking in on these areas , but IN the areas there is a clear distinction between poor working class and someone being a skanger.

just like not all people from leafy d4 are stuck up rugby payers as the perception by some is.

what qualifies a person as a skanger ?

accent - no , dress - no , education - no
    its their actions and the way the interact with others and society in general

plenty of people i know would be classed as skangers by their accent , but they are far from it , good people who have no ( or little :D ) criminal records , treat their family and neighbours with respect.

all the things a skanger would not do or be

Well that's certainly at odds with my experience of the usage of the word. The fact is that accent and dress are the main distinguishing characteristics of skangers.

The very people using it interchangeably with scumbag are the ones who would use it to simply describe an accent or a dress style and then defend the usage as not meaning scumbag.

Any attempt to say that the word skanger does not have class connotations is simply dishonesty and a cop out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Many seem to think that scumbags are solely produced by the proles.

I think there may be larger issues afoot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Don't worry none of them have the Internet so they have no idea what we are planning for them.

I wonder what they are planning for the snobbish classes who infest AH constantly calling for them to be removed from society, eh?

Chilling, isn't it?

Well that's certainly at odds with my experience of the usage of the word. The fact is that accent and dress are the main distinguishing characteristics of skangers.

The very people using it interchangeably with scumbag are the ones who would use it to simply describe an accent or a dress style and then defend the usage as not meaning scumbag.

Any attempt to say that the word skanger does not have class connotations is simply dishonesty and a cop out.

it might do , but it just is not true

so you would be trying to say all working class are skangers ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Should be done after people get their first few convictions, look at any local paper and you'll see the same names cropping up with 20+ convictions. All they'll do by having children is likely breed more scumbags.

thiarfearr wrote: »
    Should be done after people get their first few convictions, look at any local paper and you'll see the same names cropping up with 20+ convictions. All they'll do by having children is likely breed more scumbags.

The only "scumbags" I can see are a few pumpkins on this very thread, calling for sterilisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

and while they are in getting sterilized we could always harvest them for body parts,may as well make some money off the toe-rags.It would have to be the teenagers though,the older they get their livers would be fukked from drinking dutch gold and all the gear the they're smoking/injecting

it might do , but it just is not true

so you would be trying to say all working class are skangers ????

It's not a term I would ever use but in everyday usage it is most widely used to describe any and all working class people who speak with a certain accent or, more commonly, those who dress a certain way.

I am working class. My family are skangers by any definition of the term. I live in a West Dublin council estate. The fact is that the term is used as a catch all and not exclusively for those engaging in antisocial behaviour. Talking about a distinction being made by decent people within working class areas is irrelevant as it doesn't negate the usage of the term by those outside the area to describe these people themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

wesf wrote: »
    Actually one night while having a few drinks with friends we were talking about this subject.
    I came up with an amazing idea, here it is:
    Choose a county nobody likes, lets say Roscommon, fence it off Jurassic Park style, take all the normal people and move them elsewhere while leaving the scumbags there.
    Round up all the other scumbags around the country and throw them in also!!

Ah come on, leave Roscommon alone. I don't want to leave and I can't handle scummy hoors. Can we not put them in Longford? There's a higher proportion of knacks there so they'd be right at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Wow. This is something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's not a term I would ever use but in everyday usage it is most widely used to describe any and all working class people who speak with a certain accent or, more commonly, those who dress a certain way.

I am working class. My family are skangers by any definition of the term. I live in a West Dublin council estate. The fact is that the term is used as a catch all and not exclusively for those engaging in antisocial behaviour. Talking about a distinction being made by decent people within working class areas is irrelevant as it doesn't negate the usage of the term by those outside the area to describe these people themselves.

I think in a way what you see is to do with the nature of Boards, what people are essentially talking about are the socially excluded or in common parlance the underclass they are not talking about working class people. This is after hours so I would use the term skanger although I would not generally use that word I think it is pejorative and leads to the socilay excluded being seeing as show how the "other" in society.

Around here the word used is scoby or scallies.

sorry , but i just disagree with you - working class people know who the skangers among them are , as i said , just becasue someone has a accent does not make them a skanger

some one who does think that is just small minded and are part of the problem

as i said in a earlier post , you can spot a skanger by their actions not by their accent

sorry , but i just disagree with you - working class people know who the skangers among them are , as i said , just becasue someone has a accent does not make them a skanger

as i said in a earlier post , you can spot a skanger by their actions not by their accent

And I'm sorry but I think you're living with your head in the sand if you think the term skanger is not used widely for ordinary working class people with a certain accent or dress. You might be making the distinction but it is not one I see made on a daily basis.

Every day I hear ordinary people refer to skanger accents, skanger music, cars an in recent days discussing how hot the scantily clad skanger young wans are. Very very few of those being described as skangers are antisocial scumbags.

I find it very hard to believe this sudden denial of the widespread use of the term to describe certain non-criminal characteristics. It just doesn't tally with real life.

Yep. Agree. I think the problem is with some posters automatically calling a swathe of the population "skangers" because of accent/clothing/location/employment and so on. Sadly. :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

"The underclass rejects many of the norms and values of the larger society. Among underclass youth, achievement motivation is low, education is undervalued, and conventional means of success and upward mobility are scorned. There is widespread alienation from society and its institutions, estrangement, social isolation, and hopelessness, the sense that a better life is simply not attainable through legitimate means.

I would take what people on after hours say with a pinch of salt it is after hours not the politics forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A Modest Proposal
    For preventing the children of poor people in Ireland,
    from being a burden on their parents or country, and for
    making them beneficial to the publick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

And I'm sorry but I think you're living with your head in the sand if you think the term skanger is not used widely for ordinary working class people with a certain accent or dress. You might be making the distinction but it is not one I see made on a daily basis.

Every day I hear ordinary people refer to skanger accents, skanger music, cars an in recent days discussing how hot the scantily clad skanger young wans are. Very very few of those being described as skangers are antisocial scumbags.

I find it very hard to believe this sudden denial of the widespread use of the term to describe certain non-criminal characteristics. It just doesn't tally with real life.
    Skanger is not a term used to describe the working classes as a whole. It just isn't.

To behave in an antisocial manner typically means behaving in a way that unnecessarily makes the environment less pleasant for the majority. I'm not a fan of the term as it isn't very descriptive but most people have no difficultly distinguishing between what would and would not be considered antisocial.

In my opinion trying to repudiate criticism toward skangers by suggesting it is an ambiguous or too widely applicable term is just being deliberately obtuse.

well , there are huge masses of working class that would disagree with you

someone who is anti social , selling drugs and being a out and out prick to their neighbours are skangers

someone who lives in a deprived area with a thick dublin accent is not by default a skanger - its down to how you live your life

just because some use it as a catch all term, are using it incorrectly and just dont understand the meaning of the word.

i think you are confusing the two

an area might have an accent and a social "uniform" but does not make the inhabitants all skangers - far from it.

its just a lazy generalization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

kylith wrote: »
    We advertised for part time a cleaner where I'm on a course and had nearly 200 applicants

Gawd, that's depressing.

I'll be looking for a part-time job in Dublin in a couple of months, while I do a pg dip, what hope do I have of getting one? :(

• Advertisement

well , there are huge masses of working class that would disagree with you

someone who is anti social , selling drugs and being a out and out prick to their neighbours are skangers

someone who lives in a deprived area with a thick dublin accent is not by default a skanger - its down to how you live your life

just because some use it as a catch all term, are using it incorrectly and just dont understand the meaning of the word.

i think you are confusing the two

an area might have an accent and a social "uniform" but does not make the inhabitants all skangers - far from it.

its just a lazy generalization.

It's not me the working class people would need to disagree with - I don't use the term.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm telling you how I hear this word used daily. The people using it are using it as a catch all for an accent and a look. They are mostly not describing the people as antisocial or criminals, just describing that they fulfil a certain set of characteristics of accent and dress and they often find these characteristics distasteful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

This thread :D:(:):mad::P:rolleyes:confused::eek:;):o:cool::p:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Yes eugenics is the answer, right? I mean, it's not a problem that can be solved at all, by resolving the underlying socioeconomic problems creating the fúcking skangers in the first place, is it?

Exactly. I believe that every single person on this thread, me included, could have been a skanger if brought up in different circumstances. Any one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

old hippy wrote: »
    The only "scumbags" I can see are a few pumpkins on this very thread, calling for sterilisation.

What good does it do to bring children into the world when one or both parents are serial criminals, who are in and out of court more often than not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Tad extreme there OP. Why not just have abortion on demand, and if you're unemployed have the state pay for it if you want to have one?

Plus get rid of child benefit, or at least only get it for the first child. Why should the lifestyle choice of wanting to have a family be paid for by society at large, especially when one may not have the financial self-sufficiency to do so?

It's not me the working class people would need to disagree with - I don't use the term.

I'm not confusing anything. I'm telling you how I hear this word used daily. The people using it are using it as a catch all for an accent and a look. They are mostly not describing the people as antisocial or criminals, just describing that they fulfil a certain set of characteristics of accent and dress and they often find these characteristics distasteful.

but in reality its describing the working class - and that is just incorrect

as i have said before in a working class area , people know who the skangers are , and by default the two are not the same.
    in my world the working class despise skangers as much if not more

I dont know miss lockhart - i give up,
    where i come from a skanger is a very definite type of person within a community, no matter the use of the name.

• Advertisement

but in reality its describing the working class - and that is just incorrect

as i have said before in a working class area , people know who the skangers are , and by default the two are not the same.
    in my world the working class despise skangers as much if not more

I dont know miss lockhart - i give up,
    where i come from a skanger is a very definite type of person within a community, no matter the use of the name.

And where I come from it's a term that's never used. The scumbags are just called scumbags.

But the people I hear use the term every day, people who are not working class, are using it not just for scumbags. You might think they're incorrect but that's their understanding of the term. So I'm sorry if you think I'm confused or wrong but that's my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm working class and have been called posh before because of my interests and accents. So with all due respect people who think working class people are skangers need their head examined.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm working class and have been called posh before because of my interests and accents. So with all due respect people who think working class people are skangers need their head examined.

They don't think working class people are skangers. They think people with a certain accent and a certain dress style are skangers. The collins dictionary definition also seems to back up their understanding of the term.

Like you say, working class people who fall outside those characteristics are not considered skangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Just to explain to people. Working class people work. My parents and relatives are working class and worked all their lives. There is a world of difference between working class and wasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I wouldnt be working class but I still think its insulting to working class people to consider skangers as part of them. Working class people work, skangers dont.

• Advertisement
Advertisement