Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre

Options
  • 06-06-2013 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can you tell me when I will be enabled for fibre? I'm in arklow. Depending on which part of the eircom site I check, the launch date is either may-june or July-dec. A Vodafone sales rep called to the door a few days ago and said it would launch in the next week to ten days!

Who to believe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Likewise for Wicklow Town - the eircom site either says May-June or July-Dec. Actually for me I'm on the Merrymeeting exchange not the Wicklow Town one and it's even less clear from the site if/when that exchange will be fiber'd. The checker just talks about the wicklow town exchange when I put my number in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

The cabinets have been installed in my estate for some months now so its only a matter of when. The when being different on eircons own site!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Same in Kilcoole/Greystones. Cabinets are in but no dates for them to be enabled

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shinobi2600

i'll stick in my bit on this too....im in arklow as well.

using the checker on the eircom websites shows three different results:

Putting in phone number showing fibre not available yet but will be July to December 2013
    Putting in an address in Arklow (a lot of addresses in arklow are missing altogether) show that fibre is available to order
    Checking the map says fibre will be available May to June 2013

Hopefully number 2 is the true one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

i'll stick in my bit on this too....im in arklow as well.

using the checker on the eircom websites shows three different results:

Putting in phone number showing fibre not available yet but will be July to December 2013
    Putting in an address in Arklow (a lot of addresses in arklow are missing altogether) show that fibre is available to order
    Checking the map says fibre will be available May to June 2013

Hopefully number 2 is the true one
    Hi Guys,

At the moment there is no definitive date for those areas / exchanges in Wicklow, The map is there as a guide-line as there is a lot of factors that can cause slight delays which is why we can not give exact dates but a time-frame guideline.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Guys,

At the moment there is no definitive date for those areas / exchanges in Wicklow, The map is there as a guide-line as there is a lot of factors that can cause slight delays which is why we can not give exact dates but a time-frame guideline.

Thanks, Mark

SO the cabinets are in but eircom don't have a plan for rollout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

SO the cabinets are in but eircom don't have a plan for rollout?
    Hi TechnoFreek

Until there is a definite date as to when an area and cabinet will go live for efibre (and orders will be placed). The website & checker will be updated.

As stated in the above post there are factors that may delay cabinets or areas going live. Which is why we do not post exact dates for areas.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark.
    And so even though I got a leaftlet through the door stating that eircom fibre is coming to my area soon, it all means nothing as there is no planned enablement of Arklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Thanks Mark.
    And so even though I got a leaftlet through the door stating that eircom fibre is coming to my area soon, it all means nothing as there is no planned enablement of Arklow.
    Hi TechnoFreek
    eFibre is rolled-out over many areas at once and in different phases. Due to the amount of work, organisation and dependency on factors from road safety access to property access it is difficult to offer strict dates the enabling of all but the current phase of exchanges. We will offer all the information we have when we have it.  
    No definite answer but hope this helps.
    Tony

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

Hi all,

Have also been patiently waiting for an update for the go live of the Arklow exchange and today bumped into tow different engineers working around the town and the general consensus seems to be that the 21st June is the scheduled date. If so happy days and roll on the end of the week :D

Cheers for the info, I'll still keep putting my number in the line checker every day until then!

Eircom engineer was in Mountain Bay this morning verifying electrical connections to cabinet, confirmed all should be good to go for Friday. :D Now to get an appointment as soon as it launched is the next thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Hi, I just want to know will I ever be able to get e-fiber. I live in a rural area near Mullingar well inside the Green "now available" zone, although I know my nearest cabinet is approx 4 miles away why is my area in the now available zone if you cannot supply the product? are there any plans to erect extra rural cabinets in rural areas?
    It's just very annoying to see I'm within the zone but can't even get basic BB :-(

Hi, I just want to know will I ever be able to get e-fiber. I live in a rural area near Mullingar well inside the Green "now available" zone, although I know my nearest cabinet is approx 4 miles away why is my area in the now available zone if you cannot supply the product? are there any plans to erect extra cabinets in rural areas?
    It's just very annoying to see I'm within the zone but can't even get basic BB :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The map just highlights the full coverage area of an entire exchange. The only ones that would get close to 100% coverage for Fibre are urban exchanges that cover exclusively urban areas without any rural hinterland. These are mostly in Dublin, Cork etc

Other exchanges cover towns and a large rural hinterlands. Even exchanges on edges of cities are in this category.

In those areas only the urban parts / very near by areas are likely to have FTTC.

so the maps of exchanges with big rural coverage really shouldn't be highlighting the entire footprint of the original exchange.

VDSL2 only works on short lines. So if you're even 1.5km from the nearest cabinet, it isn't going to be much benefit to you.

ShaunC wrote: »
    Hi, I just want to know will I ever be able to get e-fiber. I live in a rural area near Mullingar well inside the Green "now available" zone, although I know my nearest cabinet is approx 4 miles away why is my area in the now available zone if you cannot supply the product? are there any plans to erect extra cabinets in rural areas?
    Hi ShaunC
    I understand your frustration and though the general Mullingar area will receive eFibre the online map is for illustrative purpose only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure eFibre can be supplied.
    This is stated just below the map.
    You are correct, at over 4km from the exchange eFibre will not be available to you at this time. At the moment there are no plans to add extra cabinets within this area.
    Regards
    Tony

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The map just highlights the full coverage area of an entire exchange. The only ones that would get close to 100% coverage for Fibre are urban exchanges that cover exclusively urban areas without any rural hinterland. These are mostly in Dublin, Cork etc

Other exchanges cover towns and a large rural hinterlands. Even exchanges on edges of cities are in this category.

In those areas only the urban parts / very near by areas are likely to have FTTC.

so the maps of exchanges with big rural coverage really shouldn't be highlighting the entire footprint of the original exchange.

VDSL2 only works on short lines. So if you're even 1.5km from the nearest cabinet, it isn't going to be much benefit to you.
    Thanks SpaceTime
    that is pretty accurate sumation. Actually we do add that the mapis for illustrative purpose
    only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service. Specific address must be checked to ensure eFibre can be supplied. There is an online checker on this page http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

It would be great to be able to provide a map showing every address but this is not possible at the moment.

Tony

Thanks for the reply guys, ironically I live 1k from the national fibre network on the N4, it's a pity that villages and populated areas on the route can't tap into the network.

claytonie wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have also been patiently waiting for an update for the go live of the Arklow exchange and today bumped into tow different engineers working around the town and the general consensus seems to be that the 21st June is the scheduled date. If so happy days and roll on the end of the week :D

Really hope this is true and that all the cabinets in Arklow go live at the same time!

• Advertisement

Really hope this is true and that all the cabinets in Arklow go live at the same time!
    Arklow is now showing as fibre enabled on the eircom website.

putting in your phone number the checker is still saying July to December though. hopefully says available in the morning and i'll give them a ring and order

putting in your phone number the checker is still saying July to December though. hopefully says available in the morning and i'll give them a ring and order
    I'll be onto them first thing as well, if I put in Mountain Bay it comes up as available but if I put in phone number same as you are getting. Lets hope for positive outcome in the morning.

Was onto Eircom this morning and they still not seeing any lines on the system so they cant do the pre qualification tests to start the order process. I was told the website is a week ahead of lines being published to the database so it will probably be Monday or Tuesday before orders can be processed and to call back then.

hey claytonie and technofreek,

map has been live in arklow for a week now but i still cant order it, you have any luck yet?

hey claytonie and technofreek,

map has been live in arklow for a week now but i still cant order it, you have any luck yet?
    Nope no luck yet haven't spoken to anyone around town that has been able to order yet so as soon as I hear otherwise, I will definitely post here.

claytonie wrote: »
    Nope no luck yet haven't spoken to anyone around town that has been able to order yet so as soon as I hear otherwise, I will definitely post here.

Yup. Same here. And I don't see any of those supposed yellow stickers on the cabs to indicate that a cab has been enabled

Yup. Same here. And I don't see any of those supposed yellow stickers on the cabs to indicate that a cab has been enabled
    There is one cabinet in Fernhill that has its sticker. I was on the phone to Eircom this morning as I was having issues with broadband and they are back saying that its September - December before being available :O

Eircom reps-

Do you have any updates for Arklow. Its seems some exchanges are enabled and people can order. Other estates like mine (Meadowvale) cannot.

Please advise

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Eircom reps-

Do you have any updates for Arklow. Its seems some exchanges are enabled and people can order. Other estates like mine (Meadowvale) cannot.

Please advise

Hi TechnoFreek

We're unable to advise on specific locations within an enabled area. The only advice I can offer is to run your landline number throught the line checker to see if your line is efibre enabled located above the map through this link: http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/

Al

Advertisement