Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where and when to buy dollars

Options
  • 06-06-2013 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Going over in a few months so where is the best place to buy dollars? The rate is $1.31 today, anyone like to hazard a guess if this is likely to rise or fall?
    Also, i dont particularly like the idea of carrying a fat wad of cash, what is the cheapest way to spend while holidaying staeside ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Going over in a few months so where is the best place to buy dollars? The rate is $1.31 today, anyone like to hazard a guess if this is likely to rise or fall?
    Also, i dont particularly like the idea of carrying a fat wad of cash, what is the cheapest way to spend while holidaying staeside ?

Thanks!

If you have a Visa Debit card you can use that in most places just as you would here.

I travel to the US regularly (4 or 5 times a year) and I rarely have more than $15-$20 in cash on me at any time.

No real need for it , everywhere takes cards even for small transactions. Not like here where shops impose a minimum spend for card use (I understand why here given the exorbitant rates banks charge).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Great thanks for that. I was considering gettin one of the special dollar travel charge cards but if i can use the visa debit without high charges thats grand.

So would i just need to carry cash for tipping yeah?

Edit: is it cheaper for me to buy a bundle of dollars before i go or just to take from an atm as i need it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Great thanks for that. I was considering gettin one of the special dollar travel charge cards but if i can use the visa debit without high charges thats grand.

Pretty much yeah...Check with your bank on the charges front though just to be certain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Buy them in An Post. They don't charge you any fees for giving you the cash. It's a fantastic deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Credit union or post office don't charge a fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

[-0-] wrote: »
    Buy them in An Post. They don't charge you any fees for giving you the cash. It's a fantastic deal.

By itself, 'no commission' means absolutely nothing. It's the effective rate that matters, after any commission (if any) is applied.

In other words, do the sums and work out how many dollars you will get for a given amount of Euros, then decide.

I despair when I read posts which encourage people to go to the Post Office purely because of the 'no commission' carrot without the poster saying that today they are selling xx dollars per Euro vs. AIB seling yy dollars per Euro. Clearly as a marketing device it works.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

if you're paying with card then there's no need to tip with cash, just add it to the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

coylemj wrote: »
    By itself, 'no commission' means absolutely nothing. It's the effective rate that matters, after any commission (if any) is applied.

In other words, do the sums and work out how many dollars you will get for a given amount of Euros, then decide.

I despair when I read posts which encourage people to go to the Post Office purely because of the 'no commission' carrot without the poster saying that today they are selling xx dollars per Euro vs. AIB seling yy dollars per Euro. Clearly as a marketing device it works.

No commission means exactly that. It also means you are not paying money to banks.

Yesterday I got dollars in the Post Office and the rate was $1.28 to a euro. Across the road the bank was giving out $1.27 and charging you commission.

Banks charge their own effective rate so no need to despair.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    No commission means exactly that. It also means you are not paying money to banks.

Are you suggesting the Post Office is doing it with no margin as a public service? No commission means that they make their profit from the buy/sell spread alone, it does not mean that they are cheaper than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

[-0-] wrote: »

I would definitely disagree with the above statement.

Last year I wanted to purchase $5k cash. Done a spot check in one day on BOI, AIB, Ulster bank and AnPost who were all within reasonable walking distance of one another. They quoted me in the best value in the order above. Tried again two days later on a Friday and the same result. We then exchanged in BOI. Having done this several years in a row we found that the best value to be had was a close run thing between BOI and AIB with Ulster bank to be always bad value (who IMO don't want the hassle of currency exchange) along with AnPost.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

TingTong wrote: »
    I would definitely disagree with the above statement.

Last year I wanted to purchase $5k cash. Done a spot check in one day on BOI, AIB, Ulster bank and AnPost who were all within reasonable walking distance of one another. They quoted me in the best value in the order above. Tried again two days later on a Friday and the same result. We then exchanged in BOI. Having done this several years in a row we found that the best value to be had was a close run thing between BOI and AIB with Ulster bank to be always bad value (who IMO don't want the hassle of currency exchange) along with AnPost.

The above is 100% true. I will admit in my recent look around An Post offered the best rate and I have commision free banking so they must have improved a lot as I recall the last time they were a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

Thanks!

If we knew when the markets were going to rise or fall, we'd all be rich!!!
    Take a few dollars for tips such as porter and for vending machines.
    The rest use your card. In shops if your'e using credit card have photographic id with you as well, as they will ask for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Snoopy1 wrote: »
    If we knew when the markets were going to rise or fall, we'd all be rich!!!
    Take a few dollars for tips such as porter and for vending machines.
    The rest use your card. In shops if your'e using credit card have photographic id with you as well, as they will ask for it.

The mid market rate is 1.31 today. You will not get 1.31.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Stealthirl wrote: »

Im going in Aug and was thinking the same? Anybody got any feedback/opinions on this card?

We don't want to carry much cash, but we are slightly afraid of skimming(its happened before in Dublin) and the account was cleaned out. We don't want to put all our eggs in one basket...

Advertisement