Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel treading.

Options
  • 06-06-2013 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

If I just happen to have a friend with the right tools for the job would it be possible to get him to shorten and tread the barrel. What's the story with the crown on the barrel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

You would have to be with him the whole time or he would be in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

There are legal limits to how short you can make your barrel.

Letting someone without intimate firearms knowledge cut, thread and re-crown my barrel is not something I would consider myself tbh.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

It's your gun, so it's up to you to decide whether or not your friend is competent. Personally, I wouldn't allow anyone to modify the barrel of my rifle unless they had done it successfully a couple of times before. I wouldn't want my rifle to be an experiment! :)

Just make sure you don't get him to shorten it below the legal limit (50cm).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And make sure you don't pay him for it, unless he has his RFD paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭vapour_trail

Bad idea as even the most experienced gunsmiths cock up the job every now and then so you would be better off subbing the rifle for a shotgun as thats what your groups are gona be like if its any less than 100% perfect.

Trust me I should know, I sent my old.22 in to be threaded and shortened and it ended up spitting rounds all over the page. Ended up sending it to another gunsmith and it wasnt as expensive as the lad that made a balls of it and she was back shooting staggered holes. Its not gona break the bank and at least youll have some comeback if you get a proper gunsmith to do it, also youll have peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

If I just happen to have a friend with the right tools for the job would it be possible to get him to shorten and tread the barrel. What's the story with the crown on the barrel.

Whatever the legal reequirements are there's a good chance he'll make a complete balls of it. No matter how good a fitter/mechanic/plumber he is if he doen't know anything about guns don't leave him near it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭lb1981

It will cost less than 100 euro for the barrel to be shortened, threaded and re crowned and will only take a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Well metal engineering is his trade so he would be very competent with lathes etc but if there is a chance it can effect accuracy. I might not try it as I cant afford for my groups to be getting any bigger.

Im a maintenance fitter turner by trade so i served my time in a machine shop on lathes and milling machines and have seen the best of lads make mistakes,see if your mate ****s your barrel up its hard to say anything to him or it will just make things akward where if a gunsmith does it and makes a mistake or does a ****ty job he has to buy you a new barrel.
    Worked with a lot of lads who would lead you to believe they were **** hot but in reality their work was rough as a bears arse.
    Best off just letting the gun smith do it .
    Contact Dom Byrne...doms custom rifles he will do a great job for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I wouldn't let anyone but a gunsmith do it, we have all the machines at work here that could do it too but i wouldnt chance it, after seeing fergal white thread two of my rifles i know i wouldn't be able to dial in the barrel as accurate as he can, if i shortened recrowned and threaded a barrel and a good gunsmith did the same both barrels would look identical to the eye but i bet his would shoot a lot better than mine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Well metal engineering is his trade so he would be very competent with lathes etc but if there is a chance it can effect accuracy. I might not try it as I cant afford for my groups to be getting any bigger.

Barrels don't always have concentric internal and external diameters and its very easy for someone without knowledge of guns to make a balls of it.
    100quid will get you it chopped, threaded, re-crowned and a flush matching thread cap made from the off-cut piece of the barrel to match and fit perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Sean Mullen

I just got my rifle back on Tuesday from the gunsmith and I'm glad I used a gunsmith with a rep. I was told there was another fella in my area that could do it for 20 euro ( chopped l, threaded, crowned and capped) but I taught it was to cheap so asked around and heard he wasn't great. I paid for the gunsmith to do it and it cost 100 euro, but its a brilliant job. He capped it with apart of the origanial barrel and has a totally symmetrical crown.

Ye ill prob gun with the gun smith alright. Definitely its the only way do it once and do it right.

Some pictures of work done on my rifle

Did we go to the same guy? :D

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb466/deiseboy123/DSC02211.jpg

garv123 wrote: »

Got mine done of a fella in monaghan, where was yours done

Got mine done of a fella in monaghan, where was yours done

Maybe not so :D Kilkenny..

Sean i dont mean to be an arse hole but that is fairly rough looking,100 euro was too much for that standard of work, his tip was worn and his speed was too slow on the lathe you can see that by the rough finish,he used a die instead of screw cutting it ,that is why the threads are rounded from emerying them

lb1981 wrote: »
    Sean i dont mean to be an arse hole but that is fairly rough looking,100 euro was too much for that standard of work, his tip was worn and his speed was too slow on the lathe you can see that by the rough finish,he used a die instead of screw cutting it ,that is why the threads are rounded from emerying them

How does the crown look? If its that bad I can get him to replace the barrel. Is there someone I can get to look at it close to my area?

How does the crown look? If its that bad I can get him to replace the barrel. Is there someone I can get to look at it close to my area?
    The angle is right it is just the finishing is really poor. I have seen worse though. I will get moby30 to stick up a few picks of his and you will see the difference in finishing. Is your mod coming loose by any chance

i havent got the mod yet. its coming in a week to ten days. The problem with the threads will make it come loose?

• Advertisement

Dom Byrne, cut the barrel , re threaded and crowned it , i made the thread cap.If your thread is not properly cut yes your mod can come loose.

b_zps2f520035.jpgcad7e5b63f_zps93591481.jpga_zpse298a4ee.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

It will cost less than 100 euro for the barrel to be shortened, threaded and re crowned and will only take a few hours.

This is the only option.....

Once you have witnessed someone trying to get a grouping out of a poorly Crowned Barrel you will know the true worth of a good Gunsmith, why would you not at under €100.

What's the story with crowning what is it

What's the story with crowning what is it

The last thing the bullet sees leaving the rifle is the crown and if it is uneven and as the gas escapes faster in one direction behind it can push the bullet in the other direction.

Well that was my understanding of it. target shooters go for one around 11 degrees and hunters 45 I think. Because the sharper angle could get damaged easier in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

It could still be an ok job if the basics are right .If the crown and shoulder were cut concentric / perpendicular to the bore .Most gunsmiths will dial the barrel, through one method or another to within .0002"-.0000" before cutting the crown .
    It may not be the tidiest looking crowning job but if it was correctly dailed in before cutting , id much rather a job like that than a fancy /shiny crown with the basics were no right .
    Regards Tomcat.

tomcat220t wrote: »
    It could still be an ok job if the basics are right .If the crown and shoulder were cut concentric / perpendicular to the bore .Most gunsmiths will dial the barrel, through one method or another to within .0002"-.0000" before cutting the crown .
    It may not be the tidiest looking crowning job but if it was correctly dailed in before cutting , id much rather a job like that than a fancy /shiny crown with the basics were no right .
    Regards Tomcat.
    I seen a job were a lad stuck the barrel in a 3 jaw chuck turned the step down and ran i die down it ,not only was the barrel destroyed form spinning in the jaws the thread was crooked as ****,it was totally pointless because the mod could not be screwed on because it was so crooked.
    3 " had to come off that barrel to tidy it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

I seen a job were a lad stuck the barrel in a 3 jaw chuck turned the step down and ran i die down it ,not only was the barrel destroyed form spinning in the jaws the thread was crooked as ****,it was totally pointless because the mod could not be screwed on because it was so crooked.
    3 " had to come off that barrel to tidy it up.

Had a poor threading job done a few years ago, aswell .
    The threads were cut so off center and or the barrel that had been reprofiled off center (by the same gunsmith) that the can was like a wobble washer when been threaded on .

Again ,as you pointed out it kept coming loose :mad::mad: .
    No matter how cheap a job is ..even for free its too expensive if not done correctly .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

Advertisement