Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday Work Entitlements

• 06-06-2013 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

On what basis would a company (e.g a Call centre) be exempt from paying extra(i.e. Time and a third) for Sunday work to employees where the Sunday forms part of the 39 hour week?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

On the basis that the Sunday premium is no longer a defined amount. I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

On what basis would a company (e.g a Call centre) be exempt from paying extra(i.e. Time and a third) for Sunday work to employees where the Sunday forms part of the 39 hour week?

Unless a premium is included in a contract or a sector agreement (recent case the sector agree my may no longer have effect) there is no statutory basis for a premium for Sunday work or over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

LOL I think I was just sat next to you if you posted this from work. Are you having issues with a certain checker we use at the moment?

Sunday premium is paid in salary in some cases.

Unless a premium is included in a contract or a sector agreement (recent case the sector agree my may no longer have effect) there is no statutory basis for a premium for Sunday work or over time.

Would a minimum wage or hourly worker not be covered by Section 14 of Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997?

I'm probably just not reading it correctly.

Would a minimum wage or hourly worker not be covered by Section 14 of Organisation of Working Time Act, 1997?

I'm probably just not reading it correctly.

Section 14 sets out how a person who normally does not have to work Sunday but is now required to work a Sunday can be compensated it gives a number of option one of which is time off in lieu but there is no entitlement to a set rate over and above hourly rate. I should be clear that there may be an entitlement to some extra compensation but same is not set by statute.

There is also the issue with collective agreements and if they stand.

• Advertisement

Section 14 sets out how a person who normally does not have to work Sunday but is now required to work a Sunday can be compensated it gives a number of option one of which is time off in lieu but there is no entitlement to a set rate over and above hourly rate. I should be clear that there may be an entitlement to some extra compensation but same is not set by statute.

Sorry to be a continuing pest but what would, or where would I find 'normally' defined? Would it simply be in the employment contract?

Sorry to be a continuing pest but what would, or where would I find 'normally' defined? Would it simply be in the employment contract?

Well a good employment contract should define the normal working week. I would be surprised if a well drafted contract does not deal with this issue, and allows the employer to pay the standard rate. So yes start with emploemt contract and work from there.

Much obliged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

I ended up calling Nera who advised that if you are on the minimum wage (Which I am) that regardless of whether or not they adjusted your contract then they do have to offer you a premium rate

I ended up calling Nera who advised that if you are on the minimum wage (Which I am) that regardless of whether or not they adjusted your contract then they do have to offer you a premium rate

Well that's not strictly true, they could offer you say 10 hours off for working 7.5 but I think if you're on minimum wage they'd have to offer something.

• Advertisement

I never considered minimum wage, but I assume as long as rate above minimum rate per hour and contract says this is to take in to account any possible premium if an employee has to work sunday then employer should be ok. But I suppose each on its merits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Hahahahahaha, I love it.

On what basis are you entitled to extra pay because you work on Sunday?

Read your contract op. If you don't have a copy you can ask your employer to give you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

househero wrote: »
    Hahahahahaha, I love it.

On what basis are you entitled to extra pay because you work on Sunday?

Read your contract op. If you don't have a copy you can ask your employer to give you one.

You sir are a dope!

Advertisement