Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

feral kittens -what to do?

• 06-06-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

This is just a question
    My very elderly neighbour feeds a feral cat, its in fine health.
    This cat has had 5 kittens, in a churn (!) in the neighbours hay barn
    Im wondering what can be done with these kittens.
    The neighbour has found 1 person to take 1 kitten, when its ready to leave the mother.
    The thing is, I have terriers who would kill these kittens, so i cant have a cat.
    (this is non-negotiable :rolleyes: - we rescued a kitten a few years ago, the dogs were tormented with it, so we had to rehome after weeks of trying to integrate the terriers/kitten)
    Its sort of sensitive with the neighbour, a very traditional old lady, whose heart is in the right place, she will feed the kittens, but wont do any more than that (fair enough)
    Because they are feral, I hate to think of them spending a sad life being half fed, or wandering for the rest of their days (if they stay put, the old lady will feed them, but they prob wont...)
    Ive asked around to see if anyone would take a kitten - because they are feral, no interest really.
    Any suggestions, taking into consideration the sensitivity of the issue with the old lady?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Contact your local cat shelters; they should be able to assist (I know I've taken in feral kittens before for domestication).

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

The kittens dont have to remain feral, they can be tamed easily enough and make them easier to catch if homes are found for them. They need to be handled on a daily basis, just a few minutes each day while they are still so young to get them used to human contact. Make sure the mother is getting enough to eat and drink. Is she tame enough to be caught so she can be neutered when she is finished feeding the kittens? If she is not caught it is likely she will have more kittens in about three or four months time. Check out the <snip> for information on having the cat neutered and released back into your neighbour's yard. If the kittens are left as they are, the females of the litter will start having kittens themselves from about six months of age. I have rehomed lots of wild kittens over the last number of years (and kept quite a few!). Put the word out via vets, animal shelters etc. that the kittens are looking for good homes. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Have a look at Feral Cats Ireland Facebook page. You can post there and see if any group practices Trap Neuter and Return in your area. That way there will be no more unwanted kittens left to suffer, the adult cats will have a better standard of life and they may be able to find homes/fosterers for the kittens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

The most immediate concern is what to do about spaying momma feral, who will soon be pregnant again, if not already. Could your neighbour be brought around to the idea? There is help out there with trapping and reduced-cost neutering, if she'll accept the help. Have to think of the mother cat's welfare too - successive litters will wear her out and shorten her life. She didn't ask for this, poor pet.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Soodle

The local shelter/rescue organization in your area will be able to catch the mother cat (and kittens) and be able to bring them to the shelter. I'd try and find one with a non-kill policy though. We have a feral cat, she's had 4 kittens, and we are getting her caught by our local rescue centre so they can get her neutered because we can't afford the full price.

The kittens (like the ones out by us) will need to be treated properly, they could have anything from their mother or from sleeping rough and will need vaccinations and to be neutered, if you just report them as feral cats they should be able to come out and get them, if you say you have been feeding them (or the old lady says this) they may expect you to pay half, or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Denis322

Our cats came from a stray mother who came in, dropped the kittens and left once they were weaned. I'd still call them semi-feral, spend all their time around the garden or out hunting in the fields but they come home when we throw them out food. Once they're brought to the DSPCA and spayed you could them be or rehome them.

Advertisement