Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handiest way to get free online texts?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to get a couple of new sim cards to avail of free online texts, for a bit of an experiment for an app idea, and am wondering what the cheapest way of going about this is?

Is there any network where you can just get a free SIM card, and you can use the free online texts without having to top up the phone? Or do you have to top up the SIM by some amount before hand?

I'll probably need 4 or 5 different numbers, so am hoping to keep costs low!

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

yep you can get a free sim from 3 and use free online texts without ever topping it up, i have been using 1 with the last few months with no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

gustafo wrote: »
    yep you can get a free sim from 3 and use free online texts without ever topping it up, i have been using 1 with the last few months with no problems.

Meteor and o2 used to be the same, free sims online and can you the free txt just by registering on the website, not sure if you can get free sims in Vodafone stores (you have to buy a top-up for them online)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I went in to Carphone Warehouse before seeing the replies here and asked them, they said €10 for any SIM with €10 credit, for Meteor and O2, and €10 for the SIM with no credit for Vodafone.

I got a Meteor one, and in order to log in to the site apparently you need to make 3 chargeable calls, so it looks like €10 is the actual minimum (for Meteor at least)

Thanks for the help everyone.

Advertisement