Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Taste of Dublin - who's going?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

Simple, I am, never missed one, even went to Taste of Cork.

I await my award for loyalty :)

Dine in the Dark was amazing last year - shame it aint here this year.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How much is food in there once you pay the 23.50/28.50 to get in?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

How much is food in there once you pay the 23.50/28.50 to get in?

I've been to the food festival in Cork, and you paid an outrageous amount just to get in, and then paid over the odds for all the food inside. I think I got a free cracker last year, and was forced to pay €5 for a bottle of Corona.

Could be different for Taste of Dublin, but I'm highly skeptical about these events now.

Edit: I misread your post as asking how much food you got for the ticket price, sorry. Still, in my experience, you pay pretty standard prices considering portion size.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Faith wrote: »
    I've been to the food festival in Cork, and you paid an outrageous amount just to get in, and then paid over the odds for all the food inside. I think I got a free cracker last year, and was forced to pay €5 for a bottle of Corona.

Could be different for Taste of Dublin, but I'm highly skeptical about these events now.

Edit: I misread your post as asking how much food you got for the ticket price, sorry. Still, in my experience, you pay pretty standard prices considering portion size.

Hmm I've never been but if it is like that then it knows where it can go. You can go to these in other countries for free or cheap, and pay maybe 2.xx for a pint and 2.xx-3.xx for the food. If you pay nearly 30E here and the food is like 8e then fools will be parted from their money.
    If the food is cheap enough I will go. If it is not then you may as well spend the 150e two would spend on a top class restaurant instead of paying for small samples from each.
    In fact I wouldn't do either and just go to the farm :pac:

Yeah, well it's all tasting portions and most cost from €3 to €6. The one in Cork last year was sponsored by Corona and the only beer you could buy was Corona for €5 a bottle - more than I'd pay in my local city centre pub. Full price entry (if you just turned up at the gate) was about €20 - €25, but there was a groupon deal for a week or so with 2 tickets for €12 (iirc). So yeah, to eat the equivalent of a full portion with a drink, you'd pay well over what you'd pay in a restaurant.

So, to keep the thread on topic, for those reasons, I'd be slow to go to another food event where you have to pay for entry and pay for food. I'd either pay for entry and expect some tokens/vouchers towards food and drink, or not pay entry and just pay for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I guess there is a market for eating decent quality food outdoors in Dublin city centre once a year. Not enough of a novelty for me personally anyway, not enough of a novelty to pay that sort of money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This is also one of those things where they have their own currency (florins) that you have to buy through the organisers, and then you use that to buy food/drink. I don't know if they refund you for any unused florins at the end. Sounds very expensive over all for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also remember that at these events, the restaurants are also charged heavily - I'd say no restaurant makes a profit at these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

If the sun shines, it'll be a good day out to have a picnic. We were lucky on their first year of Taste to get great weather. Made all the 20-odd quid and florins plus plus worth it.
    Not so much for the second year round -- buckets of rain and felt totally not worth it.
    I haven't been since then.
    Personally I think they shouldn't charge more than €15 for entry+some florins, if they want to get people in nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

I think people who are generally interested in food and not just seeing some media hungry "chef" do a few cooking demos and flog overpriced mediocre food should refuse to go to this festival.
    It's about time Dublin and Ireland became more diverse with food. Why should we only have food events run by large corporations a who serve only those in the public eye. A food festival run by genuine people with a love for food would surely catch on. Farmers markets took a while to get up and running and now their booming (I assume so anyway by the hoards of people at the ones I've been to), so by that logic there should be enough demand for more festivals that serve people and not those looking to cash in.
    It's being done all over the world, and its about time we started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

No different unfortunately. It's a lovely venue (Iveagh Gardens) and on a sunny day it does make for a nice day out.

But in true Irish fashion, if you strip away the layer of pretension what you're left with is a rip-off event.

Meagre sample portions for up to 7 euros, very little free samples, all on top of a hefty enough ticket price to begin with.

And if you have leftover florins at the end there is no refund. You spend them or lose them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

I am going,

And have been every single year :D Best social event of the year in my eyes.

By the way, if anyone needs a ticket and can't get one, or wants one slightly cheaper, I have 2 which I can sell for 20 quid each. I bought them with a group and unfortunately, 2 people who signed up cannot go. PM if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

But in true Irish fashion, if you strip away the layer of pretension what you're left with is a rip-off event.

I noticed there is a Taste of London event happening to and decided to look into it further. It is extremely unfair to imply it is a ripoff and reflects poorly on Ireland. The company behind it is not based in Ireland and the Taste of London is even more expensive:

£25.80 advanced tickets in London vs. €20.00 for Dublin

It is interesting to note how many Taste city events are planned for around the globe. It is probably a great way to visit a city and sample the local restaurants all in one go.
    http://www.tastefestivals.com/

My wife and I had a ton of fun last year but yes I agree it should be a bit less expensive. The entry price should include 5 Florins and a free welcome drink. Hopefully the rain will stay away this weekend (not too optimistic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Thud

Went to the Christmas one in the the convention centre, complete rip off.

A decent farmers market is better value.

The Curragh food paddock at the Derby meeting was well worth checking out, Derby meeting is a good day out as well (€30 for bus from Dublin and entry)
    http://www.curragh.ie/derby-food-paddock-to-showcase-best-of-irish-food/

Thud wrote: »
    Went to the Christmas one in the the convention centre, complete rip off.

A decent farmers market is better value.

The Curragh food paddock at the Derby meeting was well worth checking out, Derby meeting is a good day out as well (€30 for bus from Dublin and entry)
    http://www.curragh.ie/derby-food-paddock-to-showcase-best-of-irish-food/

Yep, the tastes of Christmas was ****e, but in fairness, I think the tastes of Dublin is the best event of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I will never ever pay into a food festival.

Producers want to promote their food and they want me to pay for the privilege? I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

vicwatson wrote: »

Producers want to promote their food and they want me to pay for the privilege? I think not.

You do know you're not actually obliged to attend?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

I know some have an issue with an entry fee (I think it is too high myself) but if you think of it this way you can easily justify the need to charge admission.

Your ticket is for the food "show" where there are scheduled talks and demonstrations, some from well-known chefs and TV people. There is also entertainment. That is what your ticket price is paying for.

At the same time and place there just happens to be many food producers giving away free samples and top restaurants selling food.

One more reason to consider... if it was free entry, the place would be overwhelmed by people who would hang around all day grabbing free samples. Charging admission limits it so you have a bit more elbow room :)

ScottSF wrote: »
    I know some have an issue with an entry fee (I think it is too high myself) but if you think of it this way you can easily justify the need to charge admission.

Your ticket is for the food "show" where there are scheduled talks and demonstrations, some from well-known chefs and TV people. There is also entertainment. That is what your ticket price is paying for.

At the same time and place there just happens to be many food producers giving away free samples and top restaurants selling food.

One more reason to consider... if it was free entry, the place would be overwhelmed by people who would hang around all day grabbing free samples. Charging admission limits it so you have a bit more elbow room :)

You make a good point about elbow room. I don't mind being charged for entry as long as I get something in return. Say €20 for entry, and you get €15 worth of tokens towards food/drink. That keeps out the scroungers, gives value for money for the consumer and still has money going towards insurance and costs.

I agree with others that food festivals are largely advertising exercises, particularly outside of huge cities like London. If you're mad to try a new restaurant, even the top end ones tend to have early bird menus now which would allow you to sample the menu without breaking the bank. In Cork, anyway, all the producers who have stalls at food festivals also have stalls in several farmer's markets which don't charge for entry. So I just personally can't justify an entry fee which provides nothing in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

This was brilliant, and free http://www.wexfordfoodfestival.ie/ put it in the diary for next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Did anyone go yesterday and if so what did you think?

• Advertisement

nudger wrote: »
    Did anyone go yesterday and if so what did you think?

My tickets are for tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Karlitto wrote: »
    My tickets are for tonight :D

The forecast is bad for today, was thinking of tomorrow.:) daddy's day present.

Let me know how you get on.

nudger wrote: »
    The forecast is bad for today, was thinking of tomorrow.:) daddy's day present.

Let me know how you get on.

I will of course, well, every year the weather has been amazing, except 2 years ago unfortunately, hoping it pisses downthis afternoon and clears up for the evening.....fat chance ;<

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm heading with a gang from work this evening - can't wait!
    I always enjoy the evening. good selection of food and drink and you can always load up on the various nibbles around the place.
    No issue with having to pay in, it keeps all the potential troublemakers and scumbags away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

This person has serious issues, Taste of Cork was incredible value.

Go to MacDonalds so.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    I think people who are generally interested in food and not just seeing some media hungry "chef" do a few cooking demos and flog overpriced mediocre food should refuse to go to this festival.
    It's about time Dublin and Ireland became more diverse with food. Why should we only have food events run by large corporations a who serve only those in the public eye. A food festival run by genuine people with a love for food would surely catch on. Farmers markets took a while to get up and running and now their booming (I assume so anyway by the hoards of people at the ones I've been to), so by that logic there should be enough demand for more festivals that serve people and not those looking to cash in.
    It's being done all over the world, and its about time we started too.

Farmers markets = cheese, jam, cheese, jam, relish and then some more cheese.

WOW, the way forward

Okay, lucky you if you can pop into these restaurants so often and have a sample of their food.

Wait though, bet that doesn't happen.

Heroditas wrote: »
    I'm heading with a gang from work this evening - can't wait!
    I always enjoy the evening. good selection of food and drink and you can always load up on the various nibbles around the place.
    No issue with having to pay in, it keeps all the potential troublemakers and scumbags away.

Agree 100% with this although the weather will effect it.

If it was free it would be jammed with too many people, if it was a set ticket price and free food well then expect the usual fatties to eat too much and make the queues unbearable.

Some "foodies" on here are a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,514 ✭✭✭Heroditas

mozattack wrote: »
    Agree 100% with this although the weather will effect it.

If it was free it would be jammed with too many people, if it was a set ticket price and free food well then expect the usual fatties to eat too much and make the queues unbearable.

Some "foodies" on here are a laugh.

I also can't understand how people can say something like this could be "free".
    Somebody has to pay for it - for the tents, the staff, the insurance, printing of brochures etc.
    Then the restaurants have to send staff to cook food and dish it out to punters, instead of cooking on their own premises where they make money.
    Are people expecting them to just show up and give away food for 6 or 7 sessions to thousands of visitors out of the goodness of their hearts? :confused:

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    I also can't understand how people can say something like this could be "free".
    Somebody has to pay for it - for the tents, the staff, the insurance, printing of brochures etc.
    Then the restaurants have to send staff to cook food and dish it out to punters, instead of cooking on their own premises where they make money.
    Are people expecting them to just show up and give away food for 6 or 7 sessions to thousands of visitors out of the goodness of their hearts? :confused:

I agree 100%... dont get it, really don't especially in a forum for people who are meant to love food.

My advice, never go to a Michelin starred restaurant, never go ala carte and simply grow spuds in the back garden and eat them. Wow... life is fun

Advertisement