Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Passbook Enabled Apps

• 06-06-2013 1:25pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to find if there are any Apps in the Irish market that currently support Passbook.

Searching the app store for Passbook returns two internationally available Apps but nothing that's solely for Ireland.

Does anyone know of any Apps either specifically for Ireland or available in the Irish App Store that support Passbook?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭siobhanoh

I noticed that the update to the Subway app now uses Passbook. I haven't used it for anything else except boarding passes with United Airlines!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The app never caught on with third party developers. Apple today got a patent for iMoney though which looks like an update to the passbook app so more news could be coming at it's WWDC in a few days. That might make more developers start taking advantage of the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Subway will be my first passport enabled app that I'll actually use. Hopefully other devs will take advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Tazium wrote: »
    Subway will be my first passport enabled app that I'll actually use. Hopefully other devs will take advantage.
    A great addition. Living Social vouchers are enabled on it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

Subway
    Living Social
    Starbucks (shows value in GBP)

Need the loyalty schemes to jump on board. Hoping for the likes of boots, costa, tesco, ikea, supervalu, waterstone, bodyshop, eason, lollipoints, etc.

Really would save carrying all those cards around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭djdunny

kaerobe wrote: »
    Subway
    Living Social

Need the loyalty schemes to jump on board. Hoping for the likes of boots, costa, tesco, ikea, supervalu, waterstone, bodyshop, eason, lollipoints, etc.

Have a look at http://stocardapp.com/

Its something similar to Passbook, but you can pretty much add any card. They have a lot of preploaded cards but if your shop isnt on the list you can add your own. I have tesco, superquinn and IKEA saved on mine.

hope it helps

djdunny wrote: »
    Have a look at http://stocardapp.com/

Its something similar to Passbook, but you can pretty much add any card. They have a lot of preploaded cards but if your shop isnt on the list you can add your own. I have tesco, superquinn and IKEA saved on mine.

hope it helps

I also use it, but prefer passbook integration. Also, Mobilepocket App is very nice, can add almost anything and choose the barcode type.
    Passbook, if implemented properly by irish merchants could be so much better, location based, updated points/balance. we can dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

kaerobe wrote: »
    Subway
    Living Social

Really surprised most of those haven't availed of it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

The reason Tesco haven't signed on is because their barcode scanners - at least their self service ones - can't read a barcode on an iPhone screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Booking.com is passbook enabled also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Booking.com is passbook enabled also.

It is, but the passes don't have very much info. Mostly just a reminder of your booking.

Zcott wrote: »
    The reason Tesco haven't signed on is because their barcode scanners - at least their self service ones - can't read a barcode on an iPhone screen.

I too heard that many scanners cant read barcodes from iphones, or that they are using old barcodes, and not QR codes or similar which are easier to scan from phone screens.

Old scanners/old barcodes seem to be a huge issue for all smartphone integration of loyalty schemes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Bringing up an old thread here but has Passbook caught on with Irish retailers yet? Would love to use it instead of carrying around a wallet full of cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Bringing up an old thread here but has Passbook caught on with Irish retailers yet? Would love to use it instead of carrying around a wallet full of cards.

Seems to be only travel related apps that use it.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

shuffles03 wrote: »
    The coffee place I go to in the mornings trialled a passbook card for a while. I ended up being the only person that used it and they found it too awkward to use (despite really wanting to) so dropped it in favour of traditional cards. The fact that its not cross platform is another barrier to entry for businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Draco wrote: »
    The coffee place I go to in the mornings trialled a passbook card for a while. I ended up being the only person that used it and they found it too awkward to use (despite really wanting to) so dropped it in favour of traditional cards. The fact that its not cross platform is another barrier to entry for businesses.

There's a wee free app called Stocard - It's handy for all your loyalty cards. Scanning can be a bit hit-and-miss depending on the retailer's scanners (old laser scanners don't work great) but if the scan doesn't work the customer ID number can be entered manually.

Advertisement