Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat suddenly gone blind

• 06-06-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

My cat has been noticeably blind for the last 2-3 weeks. She was on antibiotics for approx. 6 weeks since January this year for a chest infection and was given some injections too.
    I'm worried that these drugs have caused the blindness, as I've found some evidence of this online. I want to approach the vet and get her records to see the name of the drugs she was given but I'm not sure how they'll react. They could delete the lot.
    So worried it's irreversible. Anyone else experienced this? My cat is only 7 years old and is otherwise very healthy.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

ring the dspca or call into your vet, keep the bottles of medicine you gave the cat, hopefully it'll be ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarah888888

I just got a few tablets in an envelope, not the actual drug packets. That's why I want a printout of her records, as they did enter details when prescribing them. Thanks tho, I must contact local spca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Have you gone to the vets about the blindness?!
    Anynoos ask the vet for an itemised bill and it'll have the medicine listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sarah888888

Good idea :) Yes, I went to the same vet about blindness, he said she prob ate weed killer/poison or hit her head. Gave me some steroids which did nothing. She's off them now. I also want to worm her in case that's a cause (last worming in Jan this year, didn't want to mix with antibiotics).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Was the name of the drug not on the envelope with the tablets in it? When dispensing drugs there should always be a sticker with the drug name, dose, name of patient, instructions and 'for animal use only' on it, they are usually printed but can sometimes be hand written (as I know all too well from the printer being broken, takes ages!!). I would ask for an itemised bill as the names of the drugs would be on it, but I doubt that your vet would delete them off the system, there would still need to be a record kept for stocking/history reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

there are many more common reasons for a cat to go blind than a reaction to drugs given weeks ago..what drug do you suspect has caused this its not a common side affect in any of the veterinary drugs I know.....

..head trauma for a road accident high blood pressure diabetes kidney disease thyroid problems are all common in cats and can cause the retina to detach leading to blindness. ......... please bring your poor cat to a vet you trust and get a full work up done

Advertisement