Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second chance student

Options
  • 06-06-2013 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

HI im planning on applying next year to return to do a course in CIT. I did two years in UCC more than 6 years ago and didnt finish. Do the second chance fees apply automatically or do i have to apply for them?

can i apply through the cao normally or must i apply as a mature student?

I have more than enough points for the course but have no relevant work experience/training.

also for the maintenance grant. i have been living abroad for the last 6 years and when i return I will be staying in a flat my father owns near the college but will be paying full rent on it. will this affect the application for the grant?

ill be 26 when i apply

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

HI im planning on applying next year to return to do a course in CIT. I did two years in UCC more than 6 years ago and didnt finish. Do the second chance fees apply automatically or do i have to apply for them?

If you are eligible for the fees they will be applied, but in my own case I was told I had finished a course which I hadn't done. This was easily resolved when I went to my old uni and got a letter saying I'd not finished.
    can i apply through the cao normally or must i apply as a mature student?
    You apply via the CAO but read the info on CIT's website carefully regarding matures. Some courses ask you to apply directly to the college, but the majority are via the cao.
    I have more than enough points for the course but have no relevant work experience/training.
    Some places like to see an interest but not all. The major concern for a uni when taking a mature student it the staying power of the student. If you can show that you are able to handle the workload and dedicate the time they are usually happy enough. Others might be able to comment more on this.
    also for the maintenance grant. i have been living abroad for the last 6 years and when i return I will be staying in a flat my father owns near the college but will be paying full rent on it. will this affect the application for the grant?

ill be 26 when i apply
    Might leave this to someone better versed in SUSI than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Uptherebels,

In order to apply as an independent student you need to provide evidence from October of the previous year to a month prior to receiving our checklist. You will need bills etc in your name to provide evidence for this section.

In order to prove independent residence while living in your Father's apartment, you would need to have a lease or bills in your name for that address.

As you did not complete the course six years ago you would qualify under the 5 year gap rule. This means you would be eligible to apply for fees and the maintenance grant.

If you have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask, the option to private mail is also available.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

ill be 26 when i apply

Where were you as there are some residency requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Usually for the grant you need to have been resident in Ireland for 3 out of the last 5 years. For Free Fees its resident in the EU/EEA/Switzerland for 3 out of last 5 years.

Advertisement