Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaky shooter

Options
  • 06-06-2013 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Right so back writing on this after taking a shot on some crows(missed) btw because my hands were shaking like mad. Whenever i sneak up on a animal to shoot it i get reallly shaky as in nervs and this has only started to happen after being diagnosed with diabetes and it really anoys me. Is there breathing exercises i can do to calm myself or actually what the f**k is hapenning. Also this is when im using a rifle im fine with a shotgun

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

LiamLad wrote: »
    Right so back writing on this after taking a shot on some crows(missed) btw because my hands were shaking like mad. Whenever i sneak up on a animal to shoot it i get reallly shaky as in nervs and this has only started to happen after being diagnosed with diabetes and it really anoys me. Is there breathing exercises i can do to calm myself or actually what the f**k is hapenning. Also this is when im using a rifle im fine with a shotgun

Don't think its anything to do with diabetes. Why don't you support yourself with something, bipod, wall, tree etc... shooting off hand takes practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Try some practice. On a paper target move a figure 8 over the bull through the scope and try to get it as small as possible.
    It all about control of the rifle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'd almost put money on it that if the rifle were open sights you wouldn't suffer as much.

This issue with rifles and scopes is you can see so much more detail you can pick your aim point, on the animal, and so you tend to hold longer than needed to get the "perfect" shot off. A shotgun is a "snap & shoot" gun. Granted the spread helps enormously, but you get the idea.

what clivej said was spot on. DO NOT try to hold the rifle dead steady. It's not possible from a free hand position. I suffered the same issues with rifles, but more so with pistols (target work). An experienced pistol shooter taught e the figure 8 method. You allow a small, controlled movement of the firearm, and fire at the correct moment. This eliminates shake caused by trying to force your arms, hands, and as such the gun to remain dead steady.

For hunting purposes the shot is usually taken quite quickly so breathing exercises might help, but unlike target shooting where you may hold the same position for minutes at a time it may not be a huge benefit to you. I would work on the idea above about the controlling the movement of the gun rather than trying to stop it, and get a set of sticks (also mentioned above). Also work on lower power on your scopes. This allows for quick acquisition, and that fast shot while staying accurate. Too much power makes you hold longer, and suffer shaking.

in relation to your diabetes (sorry to hear btw) a fried has recently been diagnosed with it too. Not sure whcih type (think it's type 2) but he does not need injections however he has to maintain his blood sugar levels or he gets lethargic (not sure about the shakey bit but he doesn't talk too much about it). Without prying, and tell me to mind my own business, but have you gotten used to controlling this yourself? I'm only guessing, but the shotgun as a "snap" gun is not causing you the same problem because you are not as focused on it as you are with the rifle. If you catch my drift.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

Ok i see what you guys are saying im going to try that figure 8 method ,seems to make perfect sense. Also looking at the other advice SCOPE - there is no brand name on the scope its a fixed four power and came with the gun (cz 452 lux in .22lr) and about BIPOD OR STICKS - the sticks would be the best option as there is no stud for a bipod to be mounted too as the gun was bought second hand and the iron sights are also missing.

One more thing does anyone know of a irish online shop that sells those pieces that you can strap on to your stock to raise your head posistion , i need two of them 1 for the 22 and 1 for the cz 527 lux in 223 both rifles have low stocks for using scopes ,if not when i finish this aul junior cert i can give a visit to our nearest gun shop and see about those and the parts for the 22

(about my diabetes ive type 1 and its under control now tbh its a pain in the hole but easy to look after the worst part is not being able to go hunting for long periods of time without having to carry all the equipment and more importantly not being able to join the defence forces thats the shi*te part)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

As mentioned above, get yourself into a club and start putting rounds on paper from field positions - prone, sitting, kneeling, standing.

Get to know how to support yourself for best stability and how to use your environment to do the same. Spend some time working on your trigger discipline while you're at it.

Your diabetes won't hold you back much, if at all - I have diabetic pals in shooting, motorcycling, skidiving and snowboarding. Properly managed it is FAR from the life sentence it's made out to be (and I mean that by way of encouragement not arrogance).

What you need is practice and lots of it.

Shooting game is mentally different to shooting paper and it takes time to get your head around it. Main thing is not to rush yourself. Take your time, and take a good shot. If the animal moves before you get the shot off then so be it - at least the shots you do take will go where you want them to. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

It's more than likely just adrenaline lad. With the shot gun you prob don't get time to notice it. But with the rifle your spotting your target getting into position s early up and all that crack so you have plenty of time for the adrenaline to start flowing.

Figure of 8 and when you look through the scope don't be hanging on shoot as soon as you have your target.

I shoot a lot better when I shoot quicker.

Are you shooting long I was the very same when I first started shooting rifle and still get like that mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 LiamLad

One shot one kill yuup im only shooting for about 1 and a half years and ive never been trained to shoot and im still under16 so i dont think i can join any clubs (dont worry guys i always go shooting with my dad so nothing ilegal)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Glenbulldog

I get like that when I try focus too much on what I'm trying to hit,I generally spot the target pick a yardage (best guess anyway) use the mildots to allow for yardage and shoot without thinking too much trying to use instincts

Advertisement