Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for streaming videos to my TV from a PC

Options
  • 06-06-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

I am in the middle of a house build and we are adding Cat6 n/w cabling and stuff.
    I want to create a centralised location for all my media/photos etc usual sort of stuff.
    I have a relatively powerful 8 core/16GB PC running Windows 7 which has 4TB of HD storage so I was hoping I could use this as a media server instead of buying a dedicated NAS system. I plan to have a basic media player at each TV, which will then stream files from this back end server. The media players I have in mind are only £15 and they can also decode files on the fly so the server would not need to do this. What software can I have running on the PC that will allow each media player to access the MKV files etc as if they were on a simple NAS drive? Would an older PC be able to acomplish this task at all as I have 2 older PCs I would like to put to good use other than sending them to PC heaven?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What are the media players you're looking at? All you might need to do, is possibly set up what ever folder you have your media in, as a share folder/share drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

I'm using Windows Media Center with XBOX's as extenders at each TV. I really like it, I have a dual tuner in the PC so I can record two shows at the same time, pause live TV etc. I can play music library through the TV . Photo slideshows are simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

I think it was a Freecom one, has no HD, just N/W adapter and some HW decoder and a remote.

Advertisement