Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a denotative statement?

• 06-06-2013 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

So, I thought this might belong in a language/computer section, but c'est la vie...

Lyotard (taking influence from Wittgenstein) says 'the university is sick' is an example of a denotative statement because it denotes something about the university, namely that it is sick. My question is: if person x is asked did they see person y and they reply 'no', is that negative answer a denotative statement; 'I did not see person y' is a denotative statement. True or False?

Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moved from Literature to English. I reckon you'll get a better answer over there and it's better placed.

My understanding is that denotation (as distinct from connotation) is that the statement describes something (or someone) as accurately as possible, the important bit being that it avoids connotation. Someone else probably has a far better definition though. If I'm correct, it's not a denotative statement as it doesn't describe (effectively, denote) anything.

I wouldn't build a house on what I've just said but I think I'm correct. Happy to be corrected, yadda yadda.

Advertisement