Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom D1000 Zyxel modem problem

• 06-06-2013 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

About a month ago I called up eircom because my modem I'd had since 2005 had been a bit dodgy for the past 2 years or so, disconnecting every so often, I finally called up eircom and they sent me out this new Zyxel modem, it is the most annoying piece of hardware I've ever had to deal with, upstairs where I do my gaming on my Xbox and use my laptop has been having problems, the laptop is always fine, but the Xbox constantly disconnects and has issues, is this the modem or is a problem with the Xbox? I've tried everything. Any help would be appreciated. Also can anyone recommend me a good modem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It could be poor wireless but its far more likely to be incorrect config for XBL.

You need to do the following:
    Turn the firewall from memdium to low.
    Try and play
    If you still have problems:
    Add a port forward for XBL, instructions on portforward.com

The D1000s are one of the better units going, tweaked it should work very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Cheeseofdeath

ED E wrote: »
    It could be poor wireless but its far more likely to be incorrect config for XBL.

You need to do the following:
    Turn the firewall from memdium to low.
    Try and play
    If you still have problems:
    Add a port forward for XBL, instructions on portforward.com

The D1000s are one of the better units going, tweaked it should work very well.

Tried port forwarding, was awkward and didn't work, also the d1000 isn't listed there so I had to use a similar one, firewall settings are already on low.

Could be poor wifi reception so, try moving the xbox closer to the router to test it if possible.

It works fine downstairs near the internet but before I switched modems the xbox was working fine where it is now, and my laptop doesn't have many connection problems.

The old one an old silver one with two antennas? You could use it as an access point along with the D1000 and connect the xbox to it.

Before that try changing the channel to see if it improves, if its on one try 11 and 11 try 1.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The old one an old silver one with two antennas? You could use it as an access point along with the D1000 and connect the xbox to it.

Before that try changing the channel to see if it improves, if its on one try 11 and 11 try 1.

Are you suggesting using the old modem? I changes channels, didn't make much difference.

Are you suggesting using the old modem? I changes channels, didn't make much difference.

Nope, the zyxel has better modem parts and can get more out of your DSL line, so keep it, but add in the in 2247 just as an access point.

Connect the 2247 to your computer with a cable.
    Set up a new access point (say if the normal ones is BloggsHome maybe call it BloggsHome2) and set a key(keep a copy to hand.
    Disable DHCP and give it a static ip of 192.168.1.204
    Now connect it to the Zyxel with the ethernet cable and it will now be an access point. Connect the xbox to that and see how things go.

Note, it will try and fail to connect to eircom, but thats fine, it will still host the access point.

Advertisement