Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

COYVB wrote: »
    Now that everyone (or most people) has gotten their hands on it and there are no embargoes, id just like to say: this is what happens when you let hype take over boys and girls. Titanfall is a decent shooter, but if it's supposed to be poster child for a generation then gaming is in serious trouble

I've only played 4 games and have had serious lag but so far I'm really enjoying it.

It wouldn't make me run out and buy an Xbox One however but it's a good game so far. I may end up buying it for my laptop yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

But that's just it, it's a decent game, that's all. For the last few weeks and months, it's been as if there were video games, and then there was Titanfall. It was being held apart as some sort of industry wide game changer that'd revolutionize absolutely everything. That was never going to happen, ever. And anyone who had played it knew that, which is why I can't understand this incredible hype machine surrounding the game.

It's a decent shooter, that's as far as it goes. It's not a game changer, it's not a generation definer, it's not a revolution, and it's absolutely NOT going to be a system seller in the way some had been suggesting. It will, however, entertain lots of people for a year or so, and that's exactly what it's supposed to do

But that's just it, it's a decent game, that's all. For the last few weeks and months, it's been as if there were video games, and then there was Titanfall. It was being held apart as some sort of industry wide game changer that'd revolutionize absolutely everything. That was never going to happen, ever. And anyone who had played it knew that, which is why I can't understand this incredible hype machine surrounding the game.

It's a decent shooter, that's as far as it goes. It's not a game changer, it's not a generation definer, it's not a revolution, and it's absolutely NOT going to be a system seller in the way some had been suggesting. It will, however, entertain lots of people for a year or so, and that's exactly what it's supposed to do

Yeh but in all seriousness in what way can a FPS be a game changer? Were you surprised that it's not the greatest game of all time?

It's competition for BF and COD though. I'm not much of an FPS fan simply because it's the same **** with a different skin. There is something about Titanfa that wants me to keep playing at the moment.

Not surprised in the slightest, but the danger is that a decent game will either be held up as a master piece, spawning countless other copycats and leaving us stuck in a big budget loop of cookie cutter games, or it'll review amazingly because everyone will be afraid to look silly, and it'll be savaged by gamers, potentially causing more talented have designers to walk away from the industry

it deserves neither fate

The hype machine annoys the living crap out of me

Not surprised in the slightest, but the danger is that a decent game will either be held up as a master piece, spawning countless other copycats and leaving us stuck in a big budget loop of cookie cutter games, or it'll review amazingly because everyone will be afraid to look silly, and it'll be savaged by gamers, potentially causing more talented have designers to walk away from the industry

it deserves neither fate

The hype machine annoys the living crap out of me

Isn't that what happened with COD?

• Advertisement

They don't know how to balance games though.

3 lvl 14 and 2 5's on the other team. I'm the highest lvl at 4 on my team!

irishmover wrote: »
    Isn't that what happened with COD?

COD was, at the start, actually a game that DID change things. Right time right place? Probably. It's not really until a few games post MW4 that things really started going down the "milk it for all it's worth" path

And I don't know about you, but I really don't want a decade of Titanfalls :o

COD was, at the start, actually a game that DID change things. Right time right place? Probably. It's not really until a few games post MW4 that things really started going down the "milk it for all it's worth" path

And I don't know about you, but I really don't want a decade of Titanfalls :o

I take it you're a massive fan of FPS otherwise it wouldn't bother you so much.

No, I work in the industry and I'd like to see a bit more originality rather than all the money being ploughed into safe, unimaginative franchises that offer little, if nothing, new

No, I work in the industry and I'd like to see a bit more originality rather than all the money being ploughed into safe, unimaginative franchises that offer little, if nothing, new

Well then make your own FPS?

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    Well then make your own FPS?

I'm not a developer. Also there are about a thousand games id rather make than an fps tbh

I'm not a developer. Also there are about a thousand games id rather make than an fps tbh

So then what's the issue?

Im sure you being in the industry would know that it's not easy to make a game changing FPS.

Pretty sure I never suggested it was. Nor did I have a go at Respawn for not doing it. I'm a little confused by your replies to be honest - they've got nothing to do with what I said

Pretty sure I never suggested it was. Nor did I have a go at Respawn for not doing it. I'm a little confused by your replies to be honest - they've got nothing to do with what I said

You were whinging because Titanfall isn't original.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Batmantastic

Does anyone have a spare beta code for PC? I signed up days ago, and people I told about the signup have been selected before me :'(

Haha! If anyone could throw one my way, I'd be more than happy to pay it forward if/when my code arrives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Does anyone have a spare beta code for PC? I signed up days ago, and people I told about the signup have been selected before me :'(

Haha! If anyone could throw one my way, I'd be more than happy to pay it forward if/when my code arrives :)

I'm in the same boat. If anyone has an xbox one code I'd really appreciate it and will offer mine up here when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I feel like the beta gods hate me! I never get in. I only got into the hearthstone beta because somebody had a spare key.

Diablo, Wildstar, Hearthstone, Titanfall.....I apply for everything and get selected for nothing. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Tbf, you have said in the past
    That fps is not your scene.
    So with that in mind, do you
    Think that you should pass judgment on the game?

You said yourself that someone else in your mag was the one that was gonna do a write up about the game.

Btw, I'm still waiting for my beta key. And when I get it,
    After a few hours of playing it I will give my honest view on it, me being an fps hound.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Still no beta key for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

deco nate wrote: »
    Tbf, you have said in the past
    That fps is not your scene.
    So with that in mind, do you
    Think that you should pass judgment on the game?

You said yourself that someone else in your mag was the one that was gonna do a write up about the game.

Btw, I'm still waiting for my beta key. And when I get it,
    After a few hours of playing it I will give my honest view on it, me being an fps hound.

Same here 90% of my gaming is FPS games and i do enjoy most of them and the different things they try and the different ways the developers approach the genre.

just hope I can get a quick blast on this beta as I really want to get the game on launch but money is tight at the minute and I have to be very selective in what I purchase at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

Have registered (twice) for one but not recieved one yet. I would have thought MS would have wanted as many people playing as possible. Word of mouth with some monster ads could make it a big system seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

For me the bots need to become much harder at the min there far to dumb. As for gameplay I would like to see more game styles team death match is only so much fun really I log having an objective to work towards.

I find the game fast and haven't notice people camping much. Playing on an xbox controller is nice too I'm not great with keyboard and mouse just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Played a bit more this morning. I'm level 7 now. I think its already getting a bit boring... the bots really take away from the experience and make it far too easy.

All the people who are mad to get their hands on a beta key, you really aren't missing much. Its an alright game but nothing worth getting super excited over. I won't be buying on release and tbh considering it'll probably be €60 on release, maybe more on consoles, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone I liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Nelbert wrote: »
    Have registered (twice) for one but not recieved one yet. I would have thought MS would have wanted as many people playing as possible. Word of mouth with some monster ads could make it a big system seller.

It's the old 'limiting demand' trick I bet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok ive now played about 5 hours, and it gets worse the more i play.
    People going mad for a key really arent missing anything.
    Im baffled how anyone can enjoy shooting bots over and over, even worse is the bots just stand there or crouch in the middle of the street doing nothing,it really is laughable.
    Dont waste your money on this guys, especially PC gamers who have literally countless better shooters to play.
    Titanfall = shoot mindless bots rinse - repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Dcully wrote: »
    Ok ive now played about 5 hours, and it gets worse the more i play.
    People going mad for a key really arent missing anything.
    Im baffled how anyone can enjoy shooting bots over and over, even worse is the bots just stand there or crouch in the middle of the street doing nothing,it really is laughable.
    Dont waste your money on this guys, especially PC gamers who have literally countless better shooters to play.
    Titanfall = shoot mindless bots rinse - repeat.

It's the beta. You don't like it that's grand, but please shut up for christs sake.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

It's the beta. You don't like it that's grand, but please shut up for christs sake.

Do you really think it will change much from now? trust me it wont, no fps ever does.
    Its a gaming forum, im discussing the game,if you have a problem with that leave or grow a pair.
    Did you get out of bed the wrong side or what? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Its a gaming forum, people are allowed to post opinions be they negative or positive. If everyone was gushing with praise for the game I doubt you'd be telling them to shut up.

Plus what Dcully is saying is pretty accurate to be fair. Its back to BF4 for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Bloody hell, any negative in the titanfall jerkcircle and you'll be flamed.
    Isnt criticism allowed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, what's the point of this forum if not for sharing opinions on games? This whole 'it's a beta' excuse would be fine if the game wasn't weeks from launch. It's a server stress test, nothing more.

As it stands the game is fun but limited and feels empty with few real players and too many dumb cannon fodder bots.

Advertisement