Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭4Dlolz

I'm a PC player but I use an XB controller. I know, I know....blasphemy!

But I play games socially and having one of us play while glued to a screen at the desktop would be a pain in the ass. So I just set it up and we chill on the couch or something.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

EoinHef wrote: »
    Ok thanks, I reckon ill try it at 1080p tonight with crossfire on and see how it goes. Maybe 1440p was making it appear worse

For what it's worth, I'm running it in 1080 Windowed (I have a multi monitor setup and if it's not windowed, I can't see anything on the other monitors).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Frantic, it havent been this frantic since Quakelive CTF.

I have had 10 hours with the Demo and I am liking it, not loving it. The gameplay is very accessible and fun. It’s engine is very stable and consistent. The maps are well laid out, very detailed, and interesting especially when you take the time to stop and take in your surroundings.

I have a few niggles, The two maps in the Demo are very flat when it comes to the Mech play, I would have liked to seen more vertical action rather than the flat Titan v Titan action that depends on using buildings as cover. There are 12 more maps coming that have not been previewed so the niggle could be all for naught. The lack of user servers or custom dedicated servers is a little worrying. There does not seem to be a way to practise wallrunning without doing it while in the middle of a game. Custom servers are always a good and a bad thing. You can try and ban guns/perks that the community think are overpowered or you can have the one server type and adapt to the gameplay rules set by the developer.

A lot of people are giving out about the lack of depth to the game and the attempts to level the the skill balance via weapons and perks. Personally I believe this is true to an extent. It does not matter how good you are as infantry in the game, you will have to work very hard to bring down a Titan. There is an immediate split in the gameplay when a Titan first comes down onto the map. While less skilled players are safer in Titans than on the ground, it offers a layer of tactical skill and choice to a genre not seen in FPS games since the advent of the Quad Damage power up. This maybe a very critical component in Titafall success. The combat and gunplay of the infantry is fast and tight, people my deride hitscan in FPS games but I think it has a place if it is done well. The creep aspect is a fantastic idea and it could lead to some amazing strategies or moments. Wallrunning combined with the one hit kill flying foot melee attack. All of these points and we could see a very high skill ceiling in this game.
    https://twitter.com/vincezampella/status/435479525841846272
    Vince Zampella: We will add private matches after launch

There is hope for a competitive scene and considering that the game is based on the source engine, it can add a lot more features hopefully with ease as other source based competitive games have them.

I’m not loving it though, it doesn’t have me beaming from ear to ear as often as I’d like. It doesn’t have the feeling of taking out a fully loaded transport chopper with an RPG that only Battlefield can give. The darkened husk of what was the chopper’s chassis now on fire as the kill feed shows me my victims. Maybe Titanfall is too different than Battlefield, far more advanced than Call of Duty. Maybe it’s adrenaline rush, advanced movement gameplay is more like Quakelive CTF/TDM and Warsow.

I loved scraping a win in Quake, the sheer relief as you relax after battling to the final second and I loved hitting a higher skill level and efficiently tearing up the map brushing aside the enemy team. The latter has been true in TitanFall but the I have yet to have the sense of urgency when it comes to the final moments in a round.

Currently on the fence about whether to order it or not.

AMD 7990, had to disable crossfire in fullscreen due to artifacts and glitches. No profiles or other settings worked. Still at 120fps, so its no big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Just had 5 games there.Enjoyable enough:)

Tbh havent got a clue what im at but the double jumping and wall walking is good fun especially when you bump into another player.Will take time to learn the maps.

Runs fine on my pc at stock settings.Will mess around with it later to see how far I can push it.

The controls are fine and the sound of the guns are decent too.Havent unlocked custom classes yet so cant comment on loading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

4Dlolz wrote: »
    I'm a PC player but I use an XB controller. I know, I know....blasphemy!

But I play games socially and having one of us play while glued to a screen at the desktop would be a pain in the ass. So I just set it up and we chill on the couch or something.

I prefer the mouse and keyboard now but used a controller for a long time.

I would say your probably at a slight disadvantage using controller on PC though, thats why I decided to stick with the M+K till I got used to it

Your defo right, playing with friends a controller is the inly way for me too

• Advertisement

More than a slight disadvantage - you'll get crucified 1 on 1 against a pilot who can move faster and more accurately (unless you're one of those rare gifted individuals who has some sort of magic super sensitive cybernetic thumb :p)

I enjoy the game as a whole but I honestly believe it can be a whole lot better.

I'll hold off on pre-ordering to get a better sense of whats on offer. Firstly, map design is critical. I'm hoping that Angel City and Fracture are not the best the game has to offer.

For a brand new franchise like Titanfall the tools need to be released for third party modders to bring this game up to it's full potential. Whatever comes next from Respawn comes next - fair enough. But right now the last thing they need to do is keep it under lock and key. Release the mod tools, let the community mess around and let's see what works and what doesn't. It's crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Just thought id post it here first but Titanfall is going for €35 on g2play.net and €33.25 on cdkeyvast.com for pre order. Can post links later if anyone wants. Im gonna hold off till a bit after release but for anyone who wants it at release for PC there fairly good prices I reckon. G2play offer is only for 24 hrs, 18hrs left at time of post:)

If it's the Source Engine, then tools are already available, so it's just a case of them making the assets available.

It's so unusual and exciting to see modding being talked about again in relation to a big game release :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Shiminay wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'm running it in 1080 Windowed (I have a multi monitor setup and if it's not windowed, I can't see anything on the other monitors).

Are you using Eyefinity or nVidia Surround, or are the monitors using extended desktop?

I've got mine on extended desktop and play fullscreen, but the other screen will work normally as if it's windowed and borderless. Sometimes you've got to min/max/alt out and then it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

MadYaker wrote: »
    The only other game where its like this is COD, and I hate COD. Its not half as annoying in BF4, I almost never get knifed. Actually I think the melee might be 1 hit kill in planetside 2, but like BF4 it rarely happens.

The knife attacks do 625 damage and MAX punch - 750, it's not 1 hit kill when your shield is up. A shot or more is needed as well dependant on the class and their upgrades.

Varik wrote: »
    Are you using Eyefinity or nVidia Surround, or are the monitors using extended desktop?

I've got mine on extended desktop and play fullscreen, but the other screen will work normally as if it's windowed and borderless. Sometimes you've got to min/max/alt out and then it works.

I currently have Eyefinity disabled - it was causing stress with other games (and to me, good gods Catalyst Control centre is the biggest pile of shite I've had to use).

So it's currently just extended desktop and normally most games are fine with this. I didn't see a borderless window option, I'll check it later, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

EoinHef wrote: »
    Just thought id post it here first but Titanfall is going for €35 on g2play.net and €33.25 on cdkeyvast.com for pre order. Can post links later if anyone wants. Im gonna hold off till a bit after release but for anyone who wants it at release for PC there fairly good prices I reckon. G2play offer is only for 24 hrs, 18hrs left at time of post:)

Id actually consider it at that price if I can drag a few friends away from BF4 and Dayz to play it with me.

Out of curiosity how much is it on xbox one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

^€50 on Amazon, Gamepointsnow say they'll have digital copies for €45

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Shiminay wrote: »

Off topic, but I found I could fix this by matching the in-game full screen resolution with my desktop resolution for most games.

Names of Maps released:

Angel City,
    Colony,
    Fracture,
    Relic,
    Airbase,
    Boneyard,
    Corporate,
    Outpost 207,
    Lagoon,
    Rise,
    Smugglers Cove,
    Overlook,
    Nexus,
    O2,
    Training Ground

Are they going to open it up to community, allow modding and community run servers etc?

4.jpg
    1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Angel city has I be the most friendly grenade spam start off you could get . Run towards the building of the main indoor area and throw three grenades across the map . You should bag a few AI kills and if you can time it right two to three player kills .
    I can honestly say I find it easier to kill Titans by letting my AI controlled Titan attack them and then flank and rodeo the players Titan .

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I've only played about an hour on X1 but it looks great, ran great and I had fun :)

Will there be more varieties of titan in the full game?
    I wouldn't mind a smaller faster Titan maybe with limited jump jets.

• Advertisement

the smart gun...what a fukking noob gun.Little sh1ts hiding in corners and then following you with it:pac:

in fairness f all camping going on.Probably because there are no claymores and most rooms have 4/5 entrances.

Doesnt seem to be too much recoil on any of the guns so far.

The spawning seems fine although when playing domination it seems you are a bit away from the action but the constant run closes the distance quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

looks fun but so did BF4 and i played that for about 30 mins.
    Going to wait for full reviews on this before wasting a lot of money on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The role of AI monsters looks interesting.
    to hell with monsters , i want dinosaurs.With lasers and sh1t:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

returnNull wrote: »

You'll just have to wait for the DLC like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

returnNull wrote: »

This might tide you over until then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Burgo wrote: »
    This might tide you over until then :pac:

Shocking game. This is all you will ever need for your lazer dinosaur desires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Shocking game. This is all you will ever need for your lazer dinosaur desires.

How could I forget, time for a reinstall I think!

• Advertisement

Anyone remember the Turok series?!?!

Advertisement