Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

The fact that the X1 can't handle Titanfall at 1080p with a decent framerate is shocking. The game isn't even that demanding, and a 5 year old medium spec PC could handle it no bother. This reaffirms my decision to sell my X1 after 3 months, its an underpowered piece of crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The fact that the X1 can't handle Titanfall at 1080p with a decent framerate is shocking. The game isn't even that demanding, and a 5 year old medium spec PC could handle it no bother. This reaffirms my decision to sell my X1 after 3 months, its an underpowered piece of crap.

meh different strokes for different folks. I dont sit down at a console and say Im really not enjoying this game because it's only 720p or 900p or whatever.

Some people do I guess and more power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

miju wrote: »
    meh different strokes for different folks. I dont sit down at a console and say Im really not enjoying this game because it's only 720p or 900p or whatever.

Some people do I guess and more power to them.

Fair enough but ill be paying half the price for Titanfall on PC and in 1080p at 60 fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fair enough but ill be paying half the price for Titanfall on PC and in 1080p at 60 fps.

Yeah but we will be playin as part of a clan and big group you will be on your tod rubbing one out saying oooh graphics yeah baby no pixelation :D i jest i jest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Looking forward to this game coming out so we can set up an Xbox one thread and not talk about resolutions and just play the f*cking game:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's great that you like your l33t pc and all, but I don't have the luxury of faffing around updating drivers, resolving hardware conflicts etc etc when I want to play games. Fair enough, they're cheaper and more powerful, but reading through forums, very few games seem to work 100% as intended straight out of the box. I was a pc gamer for years, and to be honest I don't think I'd ever go back. At least with an Xbox or playstation you know the game you buy in 6 years time will run as soon as you pop the disc in the drive, whereas on a pc, unless you're upgrading hardware, drivers etc, you'll be playing a compromised version.

Ah but will you be happy? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

It's great that you like your l33t pc and all, but I don't have the luxury of faffing around updating drivers, resolving hardware conflicts etc etc when I want to play games. Fair enough, they're cheaper and more powerful, but reading through forums, very few games seem to work 100% as intended straight out of the box. I was a pc gamer for years and to be honest I don't think I'd ever go back. At least with an Xbox or playstation you know the game you buy in 6 years time will run as soon as you pop the disc in the drive, whereas on a pc, unless you're upgrading hardware, drivers etc, you'll be playing a compromised version.
    dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

I was there from back when 133mhz Pentiums were fast, I played doom from a floppy disc, I was blown away by quake, I remember installing my first graphics card, I remember choosing between opengl and d3d, I remember when gamespy was a server browser / matchmaking service. I was there for unreal being the challenger to quakes crown, I used to have flight sticks for apache longbow, I kept pouring money into the sinkhole of pc gaming all the way up to the first crysis game when my rig finally couldn't take any more.

So yeah, I seen some sh1t

Genuinely not out to provoke an argument, but I'm just tired of pc gaming being depicted as an ideal solution to everyones gaming needs, when in reality it isn't .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I was there from back when 133mhz Pentiums were fast, I played doom from a floppy disc, I was blown away by quake, I remember installing my first graphics card, I remember choosing between opengl and d3d, I remember when gamespy was a server browser / matchmaking service. I was there for unreal being the challenger to quakes crown, I used to have flight sticks for apache longbow, I kept pouring money into the sinkhole of pc gaming all the way up to the first crysis game when my rig finally couldn't take any more.

So yeah, I seen some sh1t

And there's your problem... somehow you can see the advancements made in console gaming but for some reason you actually think PC gaming is even remotely similar to what you experienced back in the 90's. PC gaming has never been so simple, as is evident with the ever growing player base on platforms like steam.
    Fair enough, they're cheaper and more powerful, but reading through forums, very few games seem to work 100% as intended straight out of the box.

Come on now.... you don't seriously believe that is true ? I mean.... really ? Im all for playing whatever platform you enjoy more but lets stick to facts.. this sort of ignorance is what some people use to discourage people from delving into what is probably the best gaming platform available today.
    At least with an Xbox or playstation you know the game you buy in 6 years time will run as soon as you pop the disc in the drive, whereas on a pc, unless you're upgrading hardware, drivers etc, you'll be playing a compromised version.

I mean, there is probably some truth to this... most people will probably upgrade their PCs within 6 year cycles.. but its not something that only PC gamers experience...

I can name only a handful of people that still have their launch day/year xbox360's and ps3's.. most are on their 2nd/3rd machine and some even on their 4th console of last generation. I also don't know a single console gamer that doesn't have a PC or Laptop that is older than a few years (Who doesn't own a computer these days).

So lets look at it this way...

Console only gamer
    • Buys the same console more than once a generation
    • Probably buys multiple laptops/computers in a generation

PC only gamer
    • Buys one PC
    • Probably upgrades it at least once

Honestly, there really isn't much difference when you actually think about spending outside of direct gaming purchases(For most people).

PS... im sorry for going all "Console vs PC".. but well... it had to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Playing games at 1440p on PC i couldn't go back to consoles.
    Upgrading and updating a PC is as easy as it's ever been, my 1-2 year old pc wipes the floor with this so called next gen :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Nolars

KilOit wrote: »
    Playing games at 1440p on PC i couldn't go back to consoles.
    Upgrading and updating a PC is as easy as it's ever been, my 1-2 year old pc wipes the floor with this so called next gen :cool:

Playing games on PC at 1080p even I couldn't go back. Downloaded the Beta on my xbox one and forgot about it while I was off playing "Rust" an alpha game on PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Magill wrote: »
    PC only gamer
    • Buys one PC
    • Probably upgrades it at least once

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif

Going back to where the debate started from, tipsy reckoned the Xbox one was an underpowered machine, and in fairness, compared to pcs, consoles will always be behind due to the fact that there's no option to upgrade. (And imo the new consoles should have been higher specced for where we are now hardware wise). But there's no denying that they do exactly what it says on the tin with no fuss.

I'm actually actually agreeing with most of yer points, but the age old hair trigger of what console is better / pc rules all flares up every time.

TL/DR pcs are great but they're not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Nolars wrote: »
    Playing games on PC at 1080p even I couldn't go back. Downloaded the Beta on my xbox one and forgot about it while I was off playing "Rust" an alpha game on PC.

Try 1200p on a 17 inch laptop ! It's pure heaven to have so many pixels on such a small screen .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Plenty of other threads to discuss this stuff, let's reserve this for Titanfall conversation!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The fact that the X1 can't handle Titanfall at 1080p with a decent framerate is shocking.

This is a misconception. And its maddening.

Of course it "can handle" the game at 1080p. But in order to do that, they would have to sacrifice in other areas.....like every other piece of hardware out there. Which is why you get ugly AAA games at 1080p and beautiful games at 240p like Yoshi's Island.

How good a game looks has very little to do with resolution and until the masses start to recognise this, we will see games like the new Thief4 have framerate issues on 1080p because they are afraid of backlash if they do the right thing and render at a lower resolution.

This video doesn't deal with this issue exactly but it makes a good point about the problem with graphical fidelity in todays industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

best place buy titanfall xbox one bundle online?extravision and gamestop are waste of time **** bundles or no bundles at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

brady12 wrote: »
    best place buy titanfall xbox one bundle online?extravision and gamestop are waste of time **** bundles or no bundles at all

You can pre order it from Amazon, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-One-Titanfall-Bundle/dp/B00I9WV32K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393777636&sr=8-1&keywords=xbox+titanfall+bundle

Xenji wrote: »

ya was thinking it best option..be guaranteed get it for launch?

• Advertisement

Both consoles had issues with Amazon and launch day delivery, but if you do not get it one the day, you will have it by Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I can't remember where I read it, and perhaps someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the bundle just comes with a download code for the game, not a physical copy, so if you've bad internet, you'd be waiting a couple of hours once you get it before playing.

delta36 wrote: »
    I can't remember where I read it, and perhaps someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK the bundle just comes with a download code for the game, not a physical copy, so if you've bad internet, you'd be waiting a couple of hours once you get it before playing.

Yeah it is a code and a 50 40 gig download.

jesus 50 gigs on ripplecom will take a day :(

Yeah it is a code and a 50 gig download.

50 GB download? It's "only" 21GB to download for the PC versions.

50 GB download? It's "only" 21GB to download for the PC versions.

Actually 40GB

titanfall_40gb.jpg

Actually 40GB

titanfall_40gb.jpg

That may be the install space required, as opposed to the actual download size. Again, PC has a DL size of 21GB, but will take 48GB when installed.

Still, even 21GB is a fair whack to download, 40GB is an insane amount to download.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

Titanfall 2 will be on the PS4 before my connection finished downloading 50gigs.

That may be the install space required, as opposed to the actual download size. Again, PC has a DL size of 21GB, but will take 48GB when installed.

Still, even 21GB is a fair whack to download, 40GB is an insane amount to download.

Could be, it does seem quite high, say we will know better closer to the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Titanfall 2 will be on the PS4 before my connection finished downloading 50gigs.

no it wont. ea signed series exclusivity to microsoft a little while back

Advertisement