Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

It would have been nice to see a new IP buck the trend and maybe release a few maps for free further on down the line.

Would agree with this back when Battlefield BC2 the map packs were all free except for Vietnam expansion.

Altough, not suprised. I'm not 100% happy about this one at all given that its online only

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

miju wrote: »
    Would agree with this back when Battlefield BC2 the map packs were all free except for Vietnam expansion.

Altough, not suprised. I'm not 100% happy about this one at all given that its online only

I remember the glory days when I'd never entertain buying DLC, and you were genuinely delighted to get something for free.

Its not too bad they are giving free stuff. Direct quote from the interview below:
    “We plan to do DLC to support the game,” Zampella explained. “We’re going to do paid DLC. We’re also going to do free updates. We’re going to add in – there’s things that we want in the game that we didn’t get to ship in the final game, so we’ll add private matches and things like that for free. We’re going to do a season pass just because if you buy it up front, you get a deal. We’re not doing micro-transactions. So, you know, a season pass is just, buy it up front and get a better price.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I'm not too happy with the idea of paid dlc . It's just kind of feels like let's milk this cash cow and see how much we can make . I would have liked to see them make a game and release tools so people can make their own maps and use them as dlc . A map is submitted and a vote takes place on the offical website and the top maps get used as dlc . That could be done every 4 to 6 months to make the game feel fresh .

Its not too bad they are giving free stuff. Direct quote from the interview below:

The main issue I have with season passes, is that its often not clear what you're getting for your money, and people dont always want to see reskins of old maps. At least in the case of titanfall, everything they offer extra is going to be new as theres no old maps to be remaking.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    You pretty much confirmed my point. It doesn't look like it's multiplayer whatsoever from that trailer.

Fact, it looks like a sneaky trailer to be honest.

I can't hold interest in this if it does not have single player content unless it finds some way of not stressing me out like COD does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Fact, it looks like a sneaky trailer to be honest.

I can't hold interest in this if it does not have single player content unless it finds some way of not stressing me out like COD does

During the beta, it was rare to see any players behind score wise and it was mainly just fun to play. The beta did get fairly repetitive quickly, but as we know, it was a very small portion of the game.

While it's a pity it doesn't have a direct single player campaign, I'm actually looking forward to how they put together the multiplayer campaign and it will be interesting as to what dynamic that adds to the gameplay and how it will work overtime. I'm kind of glad they didn't just go with the usual single player for a few hours and then multiplayer the rest. COD has gotten to small single player wise, it's just to quick needs way more levels to it.

Perhaps with COD now being a three studio development game and each game now having three years for development each, we should hopefully see longer single player campaigns, but for awhile now COD has been stale, boring and short.

Thor wrote: »
    During the beta, it was rare to see any players behind score wise and it was mainly just fun to play. The beta did get fairly repetitive quickly, but as we know, it was a very small portion of the game.

While it's a pity it doesn't have a direct single player campaign, I'm actually looking forward to how they put together the multiplayer campaign and it will be interesting as to what dynamic that adds to the gameplay and how it will work overtime. I'm kind of glad they didn't just go with the usual single player for a few hours and then multiplayer the rest. COD has gotten to small single player wise, it's just to quick needs way more levels to it.

Perhaps with COD now being a three studio development game and each game now having three years for development each, we should hopefully see longer single player campaigns, but for awhile now COD has been stale, boring and short.

I referenced COD from a multiplayer viewpoint and given there history with the franchise.
    Agree, if they manage to integrate a meaningful campaign into multiplayer component and get the balance right then it might spark my interest although I have become prone to enjoying slower paced mutiplayer as of late (The Last Of Us being a prime example of meaningful teamwork)
    I will wait this one out for a few weeks and look for feedback before making a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Tbh, I'm not too upset that they've said there'll be paid map-packs down the line. The game is apparently launching with a lot of maps, and they've said feature upgrades will be free. I don't think it's unfair for developers to want to be paid for map work they'll do down the line.

25$ for the season pass, not the end of the world really. Not sure if that's for pc or for Xbox one though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

25$ for the season pass, not the end of the world really. Not sure if that's for pc or for Xbox one though

If I can get that for $25 from the US Xbox Store so it works out at about €19, then I think thats reasonable enough for 3 map packs, and as someone who very rarely buys DLC, it interests me.

25$ for the season pass

Saw that and it's definitely a good price for 3 map packs, once that doesnt translate into like €40 in Ireland somehow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Saw that and it's definitely a good price for 3 map packs, once that doesnt translate into like €40 in Ireland somehow

Its £19 in the UK on origin so id expect it to be €25 for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Not bad, not bad at all.

Could we assume 3 to 4 maps per pack?

Probably not as there'd be 20+ eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

NTMK wrote: »
    Its £19 in the UK on origin so id expect it to be €25 for Ireland

Wow. That's a rip off. Nearly half the price of the game again for maps? The worst part about map packs is if you don't buy them, it becomes more difficult to find a match. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's 3 map packs though for that price, which is alright value really. DLC is often 12.99-14.99 per release.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

This is probably going to get amazing reviews and be called the next big step in FPS games despite the fact that it's basically just CoD with wall jumping and robot things that get boring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Cina wrote: »
    This is probably going to get amazing reviews and be called the next big step in FPS games despite the fact that it's basically just CoD with wall jumping and robot things that get boring after a while.

I'm reserving judgement until I actually play the game but I'm hopeful it will be great. At least it's trying something new.

if you boil it down to that level, sure battlefield is just cod with vehicles, far cry is open world cod, and halo is cod in space. They all essentially boil down to 'run around - shoot people'

what kind of advancements do you think would revolutionize the FPS genre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So €25 for a few more maps making it €85 for the game? lol tbh and same to people saying it's value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

RasTa wrote: »
    So €25 for a few more maps making it €85 for the game? lol tbh and same to people saying it's value.

But it's not a few more maps. Season pass gives you all the DLC that will be released. And the game itself launches with a lot of maps.

delta36 wrote: »
    But it's not a few more maps. Season pass gives you all the DLC that will be released. And the game itself launches with a lot of maps.

I guess it depends on the DLC they're planning to release then, anyone have any news on that?

if you boil it down to that level, sure battlefield is just cod with vehicles, far cry is open world cod, and halo is cod in space. They all essentially boil down to 'run around - shoot people'

what kind of advancements do you think would revolutionize the FPS genre?
    I'm not sure how you can use those examples. The point about Titanfall (and I've played the BETA quite a bit) is that the combat, UI, shooting, running, pace etc is basically all the same as CoD. It's like they've decided to make a like-for-like clone of it so that it appeals to the people who love CoD and then thrown in a few little extra things on top to make it feel new to them.

You can't just name other FPS games and say "they're like CoD too!". Farcry and Halo for example have a very different combat feel to them than CoD, Titanfall doesn't.

I've no idea what would, another Half Life or Half Life 2? Or Unreal Tournament? FPS games have stagnated for the last few years largely thanks to people being happy to fork out cash for the same game year after year.

Fawk Nin wrote: »
    I'm reserving judgement until I actually play the game but I'm hopeful it will be great. At least it's trying something new.
    It's not really though. It's trying to be the same as CoD except with a few neat little features on top. Hardly a crime, given the numbers CoD sells and the fact that it's their first FPS, mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

delta36 wrote: »

Well it's multiplayer only so what else can they give you?

It's not really though. It's trying to be the same as CoD except with a few neat little features on top. Hardly a crime, given the numbers CoD sells and the fact that it's their first FPS, mind.

It's remarkably similar to Warframe, apart from the titans. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lukasbolander

I pre ordered off amazon 2 weeks ago, any chance I'll get it day one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Well, as someone who as played COD series to death I can tell you it doesn't feel like call of duty at all, the only similarity is that the game is a FPS. The game feels much more like a hybrid FPS. Titanfall is defining it's own genre.

As someone said the other day Forza is just Mario cart without the red shells :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, as someone who as played COD series to death I can tell you it doesn't feel like call of duty at all, the only similarity is that the game is a FPS. The game feels much more like a hybrid FPS. Titanfall is defining it's own genre.

As someone said the other day Forza is just Mario cart without the red shells :pac:

Lol?

• Advertisement

What a bizarre and wrong thing to say.

I've played lots of CoD and Titanfall so you don't need to tell me anything, it feels the exact same as it, for me.

Advertisement