Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Cina wrote: »
    What a bizarre and wrong thing to say.

I've played lots of CoD and Titanfall so you don't need to tell me anything, it feels the exact same as it, for me.

Hmmm, even in the last 2 games,Call of duty ghosts doesnt feel like Black Ops 2, so much so that plenty of people on my friends list won't even play it. to a casual outsider they might 'feel' the same, but if you've played them all for any reasonable length of time, they're night and day different.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I'm finding this interesting that there almost seems to be equal numbers of people in the "It's a CoD clone" vs "It's not" camps. Guess it boils down to personal opinion.

Personally, it really didn't feel like CoD to me. Sure there were similarities, especially with the XP system and the "get X amount of kills to unlock upgrades", but apart from that, it doesn't. I've played a fair amount of MP CoD over the years, and I've found that TF is a bit more forgiving. Because you can jump around all over the place, have a bit more health, and there's only six enemy players, it becomes less of a "who saw who first" game, and more of a "who can outgun the other person" game, which I much prefer.
    The wall running aspect also adds a lot more to how you play, add to that the fact there are NPC grunts, and of course, the Titans, it really feels like a completely different game to me.
    </opinion>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I've played lots of CoD and Titanfall so you don't need to tell me anything, it feels the exact same as it, for me.

Okay, it feels the same to you, but in my vast experience its completely different.

Its not player hosted, the movement system is much more fluid than any call of duty game, there is no kill streak system, there are Titans, jet packs, parkour, the game is built on a modified Source engine, there is a heavy focus on AI + players gameplay and there is a greater focus on game balance than current gen call of duty.

I noticed in the Titanfall beta that there was a lack of camping noobs, etc. Playing call of duty lately I have noticed gamers wearing a ghillie suits hiding in bushes with thermal imaging scopes. Best of luck to someone who tries that in Titanfall, they'll get stood on by my Titan :D

I consider Call of Duty and Battlefield to be different genres of FPS and Titanfall will be added to this. Where gamers normally argue over which is better COD or BF, Titanfall will be mentioned in future discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

If your a casual cod player
    You won't be able too tell the difference
    it will feel the same no doubth

but tbh in my opinion its absolutly nothing like cod only that they share the "fps" genre

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Its as close to call of duty as any other shooter i've played in the last 4 or 5 years tbh. Not saying its a bad thing (The general feel of call of duty games is generally solid compared to most online shooters). I also think its a reason why most cod fanatics think its the best think ever made *Cough* FAILSAFE *Cough* (not a bad thing for game sales... but generally they tend to over hype **** to extremes).

Gunplay feels like CoD with the addition of double jumps etc
    Titanplay feels like a CoD killstreak

Just my opinion from the few hours I've played of it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

RasTa wrote: »
    So €25 for a few more maps making it €85 for the game? lol tbh and same to people saying it's value.

lol at that logic to be fair.

It's not €85 for the game. It's €55 for the game, if you need more maps, they can be bought to extend the games life for €25, 3 different groups of maps. Nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, you have 15 maps on the game you buy, if thats enough for you then high 5, but a lot of people will want more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    lol at that logic to be fair.

It's not €85 for the game. It's €55 for the game, if you need more maps, they can be bought to extend the games life for €25, 3 different groups of maps. Nobody is forcing you to buy the DLC, you have 15 maps on the game you buy, if thats enough for you then high 5, but a lot of people will want more.

Same could be argued for the crazy suggestion of adding the whole game from the start?!

But as long as people continue to buy and for an even more bizarre reason defend these packs, they will do it. It's even announced before the game comes out which is the biggest lol.

At least with some of them you get a whole new single player campaign.

Same could be argued for the crazy suggestion of adding the whole game from the start?!

But as long as people continue to buy and for an even more bizarre reason defend these packs, they will do it. It's even announced before the game comes out which is the biggest lol.

At least with some of them you get a whole new single player campaign.

In an ideal world all games would be free and would consoles would dispense ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Content announced and content made are not synonyms.

• Advertisement

But as long as people continue to buy and for an even more bizarre reason defend these packs, they will do it.

It is a whole game. Titanfall has 14 multiplayer maps and they have announced that there will also be free content/features added as well as paid DLC.
    It's even announced before the game comes out which is the biggest lol.
    A season pass has been announced now because its one of the biggest questions asked by journalists, reviewers and gamers also the release of Titanfall is imminent.

I'd rather buy DLC - (maps) than not have them at all. You assume that if people stopped buying DLC that they would simply allocate resources to making free content, I think that's a bit too much of an idealistic view.

I'd rather buy DLC - (maps) than not have them at all. You assume that if people stopped buying DLC that they would simply allocate resources to making free content, I think that's a bit too much of an idealistic view.

That, was so much better put than this:
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    In an ideal world all games would be free and would consoles would dispense ice cream.

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,462 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are we still complaining about substantial DLC in 2014, as if it's a fresh outrage? It's been around for almost a decade now, and Titanfall seems to be offering a more decent deal than most offer these days. Certainly €40+ season passes are fairly standard in big FPS releases, so this seems reasonable

The game is complete with a seemingly generous amount of content. The creators will spend probably 18 months or more designing completely new maps - no retro map packs for a new IP - and they'll sell them for those who want them. Pretty standard deal, really. They have to release the damn thing eventually - if they just kept adding maps it will never be finished. Wait for the almost inevitable complete edition a year or two hence if you want everything, as you need to give Respawn the proper development time for more top grade content.

I'm no big fan of DLC and only rarely buy it (mostly because I tend to have long moved on to other games by the time the new content comes along), but in MP especially its important to keep the game fresh for the committed players (who, let's be honest, often have money waiting to be spent - DLC above all makes sound business sense). Once upon a time yes these map packs would have been free, but it's been a long time since that was the norm, especially with the ever escalating costs of AAA development and the quality demands of players. This isn't horse armour, it sounds like genuinely substantial content.

You still get a full, complete game when you buy Titanfall. Best to look at the future stuff as optional extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

It is a whole game. Titanfall has 14 multiplayer maps and they have announced that there will also be free content/features added as well as paid DLC.

A season pass has been announced now because its one of the biggest questions asked by journalists, reviewers and gamers also the release of Titanfall is imminent.

Dice in BFBC2 and former comes to mind.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Dice in BFBC2 and former comes to mind.

Hmmm, plenty of paid DLC in BFBC2.

bfbc2_dlc_50_off.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1315609945455

image_1.jpg

Hmmm, plenty of paid DLC in BFBC2.

bfbc2_dlc_50_off.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1315609945455

image_1.jpg

Vietnam was basically a whole other game though. All the maps etc were free. I had the game and didn't pay a cent after I bought it. If you're paying for themes you deserve to lose your money.

EDIT:

Article from them at the time. Oh how money does indeed talk
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/241306/dice-well-never-charge-for-battlefield-maps/

Vietnam was basically a whole other game though.

You needed BFBC2 to play it making it classic DLC, it was only a few maps.

You needed BFBC2 to play it making it classic DLC, it was only a few maps.

7 map packs released for free iirc. Think there may have been a game mode or two added in there too. Vietnam was an expansion not a DLC. Completely separate game based off BFBC2. Even shows up on PSN as BFBC Vietnam.

7 map packs released for free iirc. Think there may have been a game mode or two added in there too. Vietnam was an expansion not a DLC. Completely separate game based off BFBC2. Even shows up on PSN as BFBC Vietnam.

An expansion pack is downloadable content. They have expanded the game and charged you money for the privilege of playing these extra maps. It wasn't a standalone, you needed to own BFBC 2 to be able to play it.

While BFBC2 was great example of paid DLC and free content together it definitely wasn't all free DLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While I would have no issue with paid DLC, I would hope it does not cover maps or game modes as that always leads to a split player base.

Best thing to do IMO would be to introduce new titans, pilots, various weapons or additional types of burn cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

EA cancels Titanfall release in South Africa
    Respawn Entertainment's upcoming first-person shooter, Titanfall, will not see a release in South Africa following poor performance in the region during its beta tests last month, Electronic Arts South Africa announced on its official Facebook page.

"After conducting recent online tests for Titanfall, we found that the performance rates in South Africa were not as high as we need to guarantee a great experience, so we have decided not to release Titanfall in South Africa at this time," the statement read. "We understand this is a disappointment for local fans and will keep fans posted on any future plans regarding the release of Titanfall in South Africa."

Wow, I didn't think market decisions would be made off the back of the beta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Otacon wrote: »
    EA cancels Titanfall release in South Africa

internet connections are horrific in south africa and without local servers or p2p the game would be completely unplayable

NTMK wrote: »
    internet connections are horrific in south africa and without local servers or p2p the game would be completely unplayable

i dont know whether to be impressed with them or not, fair play for not taking the money and running, and passing off the blame on poor internet infrastructure, but at the same time , I feel bad for anyone there who was looking forward to the game.

I wonder was there an issue where the people with the poor connections were affecting the quality of the experience for everyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i dont know whether to be impressed with them or not, fair play for not taking the money and running, and passing off the blame on poor internet infrastructure, but at the same time , I feel bad for anyone there who was looking forward to the game.

I wonder was there an issue where the people with the poor connections were affecting the quality of the experience for everyone else?

i feel bad for them but they're kind of used to it sadly

Theyre connecting to servers so i doubt that and tbh a good connection is still piss poor. friends of a friend in SA connections are about 1mb at best as the pings can be 500+ its also probably not worth the investment by EA/MS to put server infrastructure in SA given the below average attachment rate and the fact none of their neighbours would use servers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Otacon wrote: »

I think its actually very refreshing to see a company make a ballsy decision like that.

I'm sure Respawn have looked at DICE in this respect given they are both published by EA and said nope not having that for this new IP and massive future cashcow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Maybe that's why they have pulled it , we have all played a game against people who lagged hard and it can be annoying . I can honestly say fair play to respawn for saying no we aren't releasing the game here . It shows they actually did use the beta for proper feedback . So instead of giving people a bad experience they have decided they won't get to play the game at all . If a game is going to give a bad experience I would prefer to be not able to play it at all .

Zampella just tweeted that anyone playing the game online before release date won't be banned, but that the servers may be off and on over the weekend ahead of the proper launch. I wonder if the same applies to downloading from the US Xbox live ahead of the European launch?

An expansion pack is downloadable content. They have expanded the game and charged you money for the privilege of playing these extra maps. It wasn't a standalone, you needed to own BFBC 2 to be able to play it.

While BFBC2 was great example of paid DLC and free content together it definitely wasn't all free DLC.

DLC
    v
    Expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

miju wrote: »
    I think its actually very refreshing to see a company make a ballsy decision like that.

I'm sure Respawn have looked at DICE in this respect given they are both published by EA and said nope not having that for this new IP and massive future cashcow

I play mostly online and if I was there I'd be trading in my console/returning it as soon as possible.

Fair play to Respawn for not releasing a unplayable game but that still means that MS released a console that's vastly restricted in South Africa; no azure/cloud and probably even less media services than we get.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Varik wrote: »
    no azure/cloud and probably even less media services than we get.

It's Africa still developing as a continent. Off topic ever look at African TV on Sky Satellite.

It's like going back to the 80's

Advertisement