Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

On a side note, is it just me or is the whole friends/party thing on the one still a bit, well, clunky? Un-user friendly maybe?

Still very clunky. The RT to invite friends is good, but you should be able to join friends through that menu as well. Annoying having to go back to home and open up friends to try and join someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Magill wrote: »
    I actually prefered CoD2 + Black Ops over CoD4... but in general what makes these games better is.... well.. heres a list off the top of my head.

- Better maps
    - Far better guns
    - Pure PVP - No need to add bots to keep the games from feeling empty
    - Community based servers
    - Better gamemodes (There isn't even a FFA mode in Titanfall fs !)
    - More customization
    - Solid SP campaign (Plus newer games like BO's had zombie modes which were like a game in themselves)

PC Only
    - Mod tools ( Pro mod enabled CoD to become a solid competitive game)
    - 12-50+ man servers

I mean honestly, i'm not trying to slate you for enjoying the game. I just want to put forth my personal opinions of the game so far, as someone who has spent far too many hours playing online shooters over the past 15 years or so. I'd be happy if it took over from CoD as "The" console shooter of this generation... I just don't think thats very likely, even when the sequel comes to PS (Unless its improved a ton).
    You obviously have not played the game or if you did you played 1 game...

its brilliant at least...

Your points addressed

Better maps - thats debatable but i do not agree

far better guns - the problem with most online shooters is too much customisation look at bf4 a mess and cod is full of crap guns only a few are truly great guns

pure pvp - so pure pvp does that include the buckers that hardscope or no scope or try childish 360 shots and trying to use glitches etc to gain an upper hand?

community based servers - the servers for titanfall are on your doorstep thats a no argument imo

better game modes - how??? All illa say is last titan standing EPIC

miju wrote: »
    We had some truely epic games of Last Titan Standing tonight, I can see that being the competitive mode if any for Titanfall.

Truly epic games miju... and once we got over the initial shellshock from your farting we did indeed bring the pain

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sooooo......

TITANFALL.

To be honest, neither Ghosts nor BF4 kept my attention for longer than a few days. I was utterly bored by BF4 after giving the series a chance.

Essentially, Titanfall is like a persistent highlight reel. It melds two of my favourite shooters - MW2 and Unreal.

- Run along a billboard, jump through a window and kill someone with a kick to the face. Check.

- Simultaneous Titan ejection with an opponent which resulted in an aerial gunfight. Check.

- 200 ft drop onto an opponent for a melee kill. Check.

- Winning a 3-on-1 titan battle. Check.

- As a pilot, shooting and luring a Titan around a corner where 2 of our Titans were waiting. Check.

- Using a plasma anti-titan weapon to snipe someone from across the map *just* as the were boarding the jumpship. Check.

- Dropping my titan onto two opposing titans. Check.

I feel like Rambo, Neo, Chuck Norris, and Jesus all in one when I'm playing as a Pilot. I feel like a monster when I'm playing as an ogre.

I think what separates Titanfall from other shooters can be boiled down to one point.

I'm having a TON of fun playing it.

Sure, it's a little vapid and they badly need to add a few new modes (I'd love a mode like Kill Confirmed from COD), but it's great fun for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

KilOit wrote: »
    Look forward to see what they do with the ip as they've laid some serious ground work here.
    Generic yearly "Titanfall now with new hat" releases is my guess.

• Advertisement

Truly epic games miju... and once we got over the initial shellshock from your farting we did indeed bring the pain

I haven't even got a chance to play this mode yet, it's either been attrition or hardpoint. Looking forward to giving it a 'bash' this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'm having a TON of fun playing it.

Yep, just this.

Really am having fun playing it, probably Halo 2 was the last online shooter I enjoyed like this!

The various burn cards are great. Was playing an attrition match yesterday and was scuttling back and forth across 3 or 4 rooftops picking off pilots - one guy in particular. He was clearly out to get me after the 4th or 5th time killing him, and kept climbing up to get me but I'd have moved to another rooftop and pick him off easily again.

After about the 10th time he finally snuck up on me and killed me, but I had a 'rematch' burn card handy, spawned instantly behind him and snapped his neck. He quit :pac:

I just got to play Titanfall at my cousins place on the X1 and got to play a match against FAILSAFE 00. I shot you in the back while you were running for your Titan. Your revenge was swift and served cold!

Got to feel like a ninja at one point. I was hanging from a building, when two squads of grunts moved into the alley below me. I chucked a grenade at one group, jumped into the other and kicked everyone. Just as I finished the grenade went off and killed the other group. Then I cloaked and ran off.

It's great when your Titanfall kills another Titan.
    Dont give grunts too much attention they give your position away and pilots are looking for people killing grunts..

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I haven't even got a chance to play this mode yet, it's either been attrition or hardpoint. Looking forward to giving it a 'bash' this evening.

Its actually very tactful although meeting enemy head on is fun too

Dont give grunts too much attention they give your position away and pilots are looking for people killing grunts..

Alot of the games I have noticed that if people are not getting pilot kills they are targeting the grunts using cloak / suppressors, thus staying hidden.

Also, it's easily missed but sometimes it feels like your team is winning and the next thing you know the match is nearly over you loose. I was focusing too much on killing human players in alot of the games that I overlooked this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Your advice is sound but I can't help it, it's a guilty pleasure.

I noticed if you hack the spectres they follow you around, so I started a private minigame, seeing how many would follow me at once.
    I got to four before getting killed. Maybe a new game mode called Mr. President could be implemented somehow. :pac: Like domination but with spectres instead of areas.

I'm so easily distracted. . .

I noticed if you hack the spectres they follow you around, so I started a private minigame, seeing how many would follow me at once.
    I got to four before getting killed. Maybe a new game mode called Mr. President could be implemented somehow. :pac: Like domination but with spectres instead of areas.

Oh im not innocent either :D love me some grunt raping :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

M!Ck^ wrote: »

My advice would be to make sure your partied up as you will definitely come up against other clans / partied up players and communication and teamwork is key in this mode as well learned / found out last night :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I just throw 2 explosives in the middle of them and blow them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I just throw 2 explosives in the middle of them and blow them up.

One group was right below me, just had to let go of the left trigger.
    I couldn't pass up an opportunity like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

I feel like Rambo, Neo, Chuck Norris, and Jesus all in one when I'm playing as a Pilot. I feel like a monster when I'm playing as an ogre.

LOL! Best mini review of Titanfall ever!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've not played any Last Titan Standing since the beta, I shall have to remedy that. I enjoy Hardpoint so most of my time has been spent in that and a couple of dabbles with CTF were a lot of fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,099 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've not played any Last Titan Standing since the beta, I shall have to remedy that. I enjoy Hardpoint so most of my time has been spent in that and a couple of dabbles with CTF were a lot of fun too.

My favorite is attrition. I regularly get 70+ attrition points per game. It's great dooming a titan shooting up into the air and landing on another to start again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Any word on how the 360 version is coming along? I thought there'd be something leaked or released about it by now

Q_Ball wrote: »
    Any word on how the 360 version is coming along? I thought there'd be something leaked or released about it by now

It's out this Friday I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Yeah which is why I thought there'd be word about it. Not picking up a One for it but would definitely give it a blast on 360 if it's any way a decent conversion

Yeah which is why I thought there'd be word about it. Not picking up a One for it but would definitely give it a blast on 360 if it's any way a decent conversion

I presume similar release schedule as in US release today, EU Friday? Surprising that there have been no reviews as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Jessbob1987 is my origin . If anyone is up for a few games at any stage invite me .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

It's not out til the 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Having spent a few days with it now and levelled up a bit to 27, I'm kind of bored with it now. There's no real depth to the game, the gametypes are as generic and limited as I feared and the campaign was just pointless. Having a bit of fun with it, but I can't see myself still playing it in a month's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

30 fps and not even 720p apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Blazer wrote: »
    If I fancy something deeper I fire up Bad Company 2..still a few hundred servers out there for it.

Might have to reinstall that, genuinely think it was the best Battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

You obviously have not played the game or if you did you played 1 game...
    Damn... you got me... I haven't played the game at all and am just pointing out non-existent shortfalls to wind you up /sarcasm.

Wise up.
    its brilliant at least...

Im not so easily impressed unfortunately. Its better than average in my book.

Better maps - thats debatable but i do not agree

Completely understandable, how people enjoy multiplayer maps is completely subjective. I can't see any of the maps having that lasting impression that many CoD4 maps have had on people tho, but I guess we'll have to wait some years before making that assumption.
    far better guns - the problem with most online shooters is too much customisation look at bf4 a mess and cod is full of crap guns only a few are truly great guns

Im just not that impressed by the selection in titanfall, the standard AR and SMG's are just that... standard. They feel very uninspiring to me, compared to my favorite CoD games anyway (I haven't played CoD Ghosts or BF4, so I honestly can't really compare to those games).

If this game had a heavy focus on competitive play, i'd be glad that there is only a limited number of guns to balance.. but for something thats all about pub stomping.. i'd like a good bit of variety to keep me entertained tbh.
    pure pvp - so pure pvp does that include the buckers that hardscope or no scope or try childish 360 shots and trying to use glitches etc to gain an upper hand?

What ? Im talking about player vs player, not player vs player + environment (Bots).
    community based servers - the servers for titanfall are on your doorstep thats a no argument imo

Sorry, I should have explained this point more as you probably don't get what im talking about if you've never played older shooters on PC. Community servers are servers run by clans or communities (Boards.ie for example might have had a CoD4 server at some stage). These are dedicated permanent servers that ran 24/7.. you could come and go as you want and you'd typically get regulars that would form the core of the servers playbase... as you could imagine this sort of setup leads to a much more "Fun" environment than playing on matchmaking against strangers that you pretty much never get to know.
    better game modes - how??? All illa say is last titan standing EPIC

Yes, SnD for one was hugely popular for a reason and I guess last titan standing is Titanfalls version of this... as its basically the same without the actual objective. Having no FFA mode is... embarrassing really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Magill wrote: »
    Having no FFA mode is... embarrassing really.

FFA mode = camping and lots of silly snipers and the maps and game style doesn't suit that mode.

Add in titans etc and it makes perfect sense to me why its not included

• Advertisement

miju wrote: »
    FFA mode = camping and lots of silly snipers and the maps and game style doesn't suit that mode.

Add in titans etc and it makes perfect sense to me why its not included
    Fancy a game of last man standing now miju? throw myself into the deep end :P

Advertisement