Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

No. you get the ogre for the imc campaign and the Stryder for the other side

well for me, I had to complete the imc campaign to unlock the orge
    but already had the stryder unlocked before I even played the campaign
    must of been glitched

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Magill wrote: »
    The thing is... actual AMAZING mp games that aren't MMO's don't need developers to be constantly pushing out new content. Some games, while they may be decent games, just don't have the ability to keep players coming back. I feel that Titanfall in its current state is one of these games. Titanfall 2 will need some major changes.

-Remove the bots
    -make it more rare to get a Titan/ Limit the number of titans on the map
    -Modes without Titans (The gunplay is better than CoD imo, its just that the games getting so boring 2 minutes into the game when half the players on hte map are in Titans).

Honestly, just gets boring when the game is all PVE or Player vs Titan gameplay... imo.

I agree with more modes without Titans. I have no issue with the bots and I find the balance between man and machine is very good. What bores me is constantly steam rolling other teams. I need a challenge to keeps things interesting.

When I say more content I don't mean continuously pushing out content. I just mean enough modes and customisations to keep the game interesting. To bring it up to FPS standard with a variety of game modes.

I like nothing better than a good Titanfall match where the teams are well matched.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,245 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The thing is... actual AMAZING mp games that aren't MMO's don't need developers to be constantly pushing out new content. Some games, while they may be decent games, just don't have the ability to keep players coming back. I feel that Titanfall in its current state is one of these games. Titanfall 2 will need some major changes.

-Remove the bots
    -make it more rare to get a Titan/ Limit the number of titans on the map
    -Modes without Titans (The gunplay is better than CoD imo, its just that the games getting so boring 2 minutes into the game when half the players on hte map are in Titans).

Honestly, just gets boring when the game is all PVE or Player vs Titan gameplay... imo.
    The bots/minions add way too much to the atmosphere of the match. No, I wouldn't endorse their removal whatsoever. The minions serve very useful purposes:

1) Atmospheric filler. Why would 2 oppossing factions invest so much time and energy into fights involving 5 soldiers a side by dropping expensive-ass titans into the battlefield? Now if it's a full on pitched battle with soldiers and **** down there, great.

2) Scoring and Build-time. Players who are newer or lack the PVP skills can kill minions to earn XP and get enjoyment from the game. In Attrition it's also an important strategy: a Player kill may earn around 5 points but each minion is 1 point and they can be killed in DROVES with weapons like the Smart Pistol and Arc Cannon (and that's why I MVP Attrition). Each minion killed also reduces build time on your Titanfall and Core Charge time when your titan is on the field, hence even during non-attrition modes it's perfectly valid to go kill grunts to expedite your titanfall.

3) Cover. During Pilot Hunter for instance a lot of players will strategically blend in with a minion squad, sometimes even donning the Spectre Camo burn card, so the average player will ignore the spectre squad (and the enemy player) as shooting at them may reveal your position on the radar, or if you do engage you'll end up revealing yourself to the blended-in guy by killing a spectre/grunt and not the player, who can follow up quickly with the kill.

4) Tells and Flow of Battle. Especially if you equip Minion Radar, the location of enemy grunts gives you an idea of where the battle lines are drawn on this relatively large map (for pilots; somewhat 'average' size for Titans) as Minion AI tend to migrate naturally toward enemy player locations. Also, grunt chatter can be used to alert you to enemies nearby, eg. "Eyes on hostile pilot; Copy - eyes on hostile pilot!"

As for reducing Titans, no given the match length there is really no need. The average titan life is about 60 seconds, the Anti-titan options for Pilots and other Titans are well balanced, and in the average 10 minute match each player will get about 2, possibly 3 titans, and there are ample periods in the match where there is more than 1-3 titans on the field.

Non-titan modes eliminates the feel of the game really, and you have titan-free gameplay during the initial opening minutes of a match. Without titans, you could criticize the game for being "Call of Duty: Parkour" and with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on the way for people who want that flavor of play without the large robots thrown in, there seems to be no point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I have to say I agree with Magill

I got bored of the game a bit over a month ago. I just needed a bit more of a challenge. Personally I miss gamemodes such as S&D, CoD is almost unplayable now and I can promise you all I wont be buying the new advance warfare CoD, so, as of now, I just dont feel there is a game for me out there. I am enjoying Wolfenstein at the moment, that will keep me busy for a week or two, once I am over with it I might go back to MW2/3 and play some S&D. Maybe if I am really desperate I will try again BF4 (I am assuming all the initial issues are now fixed, havent played it since xmas).

I am also looking forward to Destiny now, hoping it will be something different.

I do miss more game modes in Titanfall, more challenges, I dont know, something more!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Overheal wrote: »
    The bots/minions add way too much to the atmosphere of the match. No, I wouldn't endorse their removal whatsoever. The minions serve very useful purposes:

1) Atmospheric filler. Why would 2 oppossing factions invest so much time and energy into fights involving 5 soldiers a side by dropping expensive-ass titans into the battlefield? Now if it's a full on pitched battle with soldiers and **** down there, great.

2) Scoring and Build-time. Players who are newer or lack the PVP skills can kill minions to earn XP and get enjoyment from the game. In Attrition it's also an important strategy: a Player kill may earn around 5 points but each minion is 1 point and they can be killed in DROVES with weapons like the Smart Pistol and Arc Cannon (and that's why I MVP Attrition). Each minion killed also reduces build time on your Titanfall and Core Charge time when your titan is on the field, hence even during non-attrition modes it's perfectly valid to go kill grunts to expedite your titanfall.

3) Cover. During Pilot Hunter for instance a lot of players will strategically blend in with a minion squad, sometimes even donning the Spectre Camo burn card, so the average player will ignore the spectre squad (and the enemy player) as shooting at them may reveal your position on the radar, or if you do engage you'll end up revealing yourself to the blended-in guy by killing a spectre/grunt and not the player, who can follow up quickly with the kill.

4) Tells and Flow of Battle. Especially if you equip Minion Radar, the location of enemy grunts gives you an idea of where the battle lines are drawn on this relatively large map (for pilots; somewhat 'average' size for Titans) as Minion AI tend to migrate naturally toward enemy player locations. Also, grunt chatter can be used to alert you to enemies nearby, eg. "Eyes on hostile pilot; Copy - eyes on hostile pilot!"

As for reducing Titans, no given the match length there is really no need. The average titan life is about 60 seconds, the Anti-titan options for Pilots and other Titans are well balanced, and in the average 10 minute match each player will get about 2, possibly 3 titans, and there are ample periods in the match where there is more than 1-3 titans on the field.

Non-titan modes eliminates the feel of the game really, and you have titan-free gameplay during the initial opening minutes of a match. Without titans, you could criticize the game for being "Call of Duty: Parkour" and with Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on the way for people who want that flavor of play without the large robots thrown in, there seems to be no point.

Killing dumb bots in a online shooter is just boring. How about just having actual mp battles instead of "filler" as you say ? Why does the player limit have to be 6 ? Aren't we in a new generation, surely the tech can handle bigger teams and why does the game have to cater for noobs?

Honestly the fact that the game isn't challenging because anyone can kill some bots and feel involved is probably one of the reasons people have gotten bored so quickly. A lot of people come back to these games because of that progression you gain from playing more. Players don't need any hand holding in a shooter, if they want to kill some AI, make a SP campaign.

At the end of the day, they really need to shake things up for their sequel if they want to rival the other big shooters because so far this game has not even come close to matching the hype it generated and it's ability to keep players is worse than both cod and bf indicated a boring game as both these franchises aren't exactly nailing it. I like some of the core mechanics of the game, I just hope they put more emphasis on the things I like as I am sure it'll be a better game because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

Titanfall update 4 is now live.

http://www.titanfall.com/news/game-update-4-is-now-live
    GAME UPDATE FOUR
    NEW FEATURES (All Platforms)

Featured Game Mode - We're introducing Featured Game Modes into our playlist rotation. These are game modes that will be available for a limited time only. New Featured Game Modes will be introduced periodically to replace any outgoing Featured Game Mode. Our first Featured Game Mode is Marked For Death, and Wingman Last Titan Standing will follow shortly after.

Marked For Death - A player on each team will be marked for death! Kill the enemy mark while protecting your teammate.

Titan Burn Cards – 14 new burn cards that add amped Titan weapons and enhanced Titan abilities. You won't lose your selected Titan Burn Card if you die as a Pilot, only when you die as a Titan. There is an orange highlight around Titans that have Burn Cards equipped on the Titan Counter HUD and Titans with active Burn Cards have an indicator near their health bars.

Titan Insignias – Want to show off your accomplishments? You can now select from a host of emblems to customize your Titan. Insignias are unlocked by completing challenges but if you've already completed the requirements, that emblem will be ready to use when the update installs. Two emblems come courtesy of Penny Arcade (thanks, PA!) and another recognizes users who completed the "Gooser" challenge the hard way.

Matchmaking - We've made improvements to matchmaking & team balancing. Now, teams are rearranged just before the level loads, to further balance the teams' skill and player counts. You'll notice that you're greyed out in the lobby until teams are set. You'll also notice "Connecting…" as players join a match.

Titan OS Voices – Players now have 3 Titan V.O. options to choose from including the classic "Betty" as well as Jeeves and Lisa.

More Titan OS VO - New helpful warnings and observations from your Titan.

Challenge Tracker – You can now select which challenges you want to work towards and find them easily. You can review your tracked challenges during a match by bringing up the in-game menu.

Lobby Music – The ability turn lobby music on or off.

Updated Menu Art – Menus get a new coat of digital paint with additional art. The Main Menu background movie has been updated as well.

Audio - Killing a Pilot now plays a special sound effect to the killer and unique sounds are played when killing a Pilot or Titan via Titanfall.

Auto-Titans – Your Auto-Titan will now use all Titan abilities. If you've equipped electric smoke, it will deploy electric smoke when it gets rodeo'ed. If you've equipped the particle wall, it will deploy a particle wall when it is under fire.

Rodeo - You now see the name of the Titan you rodeo.

Burn Cards – You'll notice a Triple Burn Card selector on bottom right of the HUD after you die. It's a reminder to use your cards and a convenient way to select them.

Burn Card overflow protection - To protect players who have a full Burn Card deck from losing the opportunity to earn valuable rare Burn Cards, you may now exceed your maximum deck size. However, you must discard down to a legal deck size before you arm new Burn Cards. To make this less obtrusive, the maximum base deck size has been increased from 26 to 46.

Burn Card Deck Limit tied to Gen level – Maximum deck size is increased by 6 cards per gen on top of the base 46 with a maximum of 100 for Gen 10.

Drift Guard - New "Movement Drift Guard" gamepad setting in options.

Unlocks – You'll still be able to unlock the Stryder and Ogre chassis by playing Campaign, but you can also unlock them in normal MP modes. The Stryder will unlock at level 15 and the Ogre at level 30.

Win/Loss Streak – Your win/loss streak for the last 10 matches is now displayed in the lobby over the image of the next map.

NEW FEATURES (X1)

Achievements – If you bought the Expedition DLC for Titanfall you have a new set of achievements to unlock by playing the DLC maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Had a quick blast of this today. The marked for death gametype is cool. Tactical and frantic. The voiceover options are a nice addition and it's cool that you can have a different one for each titan. Theres loads of new artwork and background movies in the menus as well. It actually makes the game feel more complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

titanfall updated 3 times in last 2 days? something up with it?

havent played in months.

Killing dumb bots in a online shooter is just boring. How about just having actual mp battles instead of "filler" as you say ? Why does the player limit have to be 6 ?

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/19783/article/titanfall-only-supports-12-players-for-the-sake-of-fun/
    "It’s pretty clear that more players don’t make for a better game. Remember MAG and its 256 players? Honestly, there’s little about that game worth remembering."

You can also really say the same about Planetside 2. At a certain point you actually get less fun from having a thousand players in the vicinity, the vast majority of hardware can't even render that many players (the Game engine is robust enough to prevent crashing by plain refusing to draw players farther out once the **** really gets crazy) became a real complaint for both snipers and snipers victims, where a sniper with a $3000 machine might be able to make a kill at 1000 yards where most players can't even see out to 250ft say during peak time at The Crown - the ultimate cluster**** location of Planetside 2. But even when you could render everything, say in a biodome, biodomes are no fun to play with 500 people running around, because its basically just forcefield farming.

more:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/titanfall-may-only-have-12-human-players-its-closer-50-characters-ai
    "The higher the player count, the more uncomfortable the game gets," Justin Hendry, the game’s lead designer, told Polygon. "Unlike in most games where you can sit there and guard the two ways in, inTitanfall the guy can come in through the window right behind you, he can come from the window to your left, he can come from straight ahead, he can come in from the stairway and he can come in from the doorway, or whatever. Essentially there are five directions you can get killed from and the higher that player count, the more likely you are to get killed from behind and the more difficult it is to kind of manage your surroundings."

For those who criticise Titanfall, Hendry says "I've watched people come in and play the game that just don't have the twitch reflexes," Hendry said. "They'll get in the Titan and have fun.""It just comes back to what makes the game fun," Hendry said. "If you're making a game and you're making decisions that's not based on fun because you're trying to please someone or trying to match numbers, you're not doing the right thing.

"Why not make Call of Duty 256 players, or Battlefield 256 or 512? Maybe that would be awesome. Maybe that would be awesome for that type of game built around that, but you can't just jam players into a game and say this is what is ordained."

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Played this again today for the first time in a week, still damn addictive and fun!
    Also the Jeeves voice for the Titan is epic :D.

Wish matchmaking could be a bit faster still though, on PC you can be waiting a few minutes to find a team!

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    titanfall updated 3 times in last 2 days? something up with it?

havent played in months.

they just pushed a big update, and the others were likely hotfixes

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/19783/article/titanfall-only-supports-12-players-for-the-sake-of-fun/

You can also really say the same about Planetside 2. At a certain point you actually get less fun from having a thousand players in the vicinity, the vast majority of hardware can't even render that many players (the Game engine is robust enough to prevent crashing by plain refusing to draw players farther out once the **** really gets crazy) became a real complaint for both snipers and snipers victims, where a sniper with a $3000 machine might be able to make a kill at 1000 yards where most players can't even see out to 250ft say during peak time at The Crown - the ultimate cluster**** location of Planetside 2. But even when you could render everything, say in a biodome, biodomes are no fun to play with 500 people running around, because its basically just forcefield farming.

more:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/titanfall-may-only-have-12-human-players-its-closer-50-characters-ai

lol talk about taking a point to the extremes and going mad with it. I'm obviously not suggesting they go and add another 200 players to the gamemodes... my point was if they feel the need to add cannon fodder as "Filler" because the maps are too big for 12 players, then I think it would be better if they just increased the player numbers a bit... make it 8v8 or even 10v10. They'd probably also have to reduce the numbers of Titans and the frequency that players get them, which is another thing that I think will only make the game better and more "Fun". Maybe its just me that thinks the infantry vs infantry is by far the most "Fun" moments in the game, Titan vs Titan is boring and Infantry vs Titan is just a chore... for me.

Just things I hope they change for the sequel, since its obvious that what they have now is not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Battlefield 2 with 126 players was absolute carnage, very enjoyable carnage tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

I'm only new to Titanfall still learning the ropes but so far i find it very enjoyable and a nice change from COD.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

I'm new too and absolutely loving it! A lot of fun.

I'm new too and absolutely loving it! A lot of fun.

Yeah its a great game to dip in and out of, had some great last titan standing matches on saturday night. there's none of the the immense frustration that you can have when you come back from a break from COD / battlefield.

lol talk about taking a point to the extremes and going mad with it. I'm obviously not suggesting they go and add another 200 players to the gamemodes... my point was if they feel the need to add cannon fodder as "Filler" because the maps are too big for 12 players, then I think it would be better if they just increased the player numbers a bit... make it 8v8 or even 10v10. They'd probably also have to reduce the numbers of Titans and the frequency that players get them, which is another thing that I think will only make the game better and more "Fun". Maybe its just me that thinks the infantry vs infantry is by far the most "Fun" moments in the game, Titan vs Titan is boring and Infantry vs Titan is just a chore... for me.

Just things I hope they change for the sequel, since its obvious that what they have now is not perfect.
    Thats the thing, the maps really are not too big for 12 players. The maps fit neatly in this space where the size and scale of the game works best for 12 pilots and/or 12 titans. Minions rarely cause much of a problem aside from creating atmosphere and you might rarely get finished off by one. They playtested numerous team sizes like I referenced above. 5v5, 7v7, 8v8, etc. and they settled on 6v6 I'm sure they had a bloody good reason for doing so.

If your big complaint about Titanfall is you don't like the Titans then this doesn't exactly sound like the best game for you.

Thats the thing, the maps really are not too big for 12 players. The maps fit neatly in this space where the size and scale of the game works best for 12 pilots and/or 12 titans. Minions rarely cause much of a problem aside from creating atmosphere and you might rarely get finished off by one. They playtested numerous team sizes like I referenced above. 5v5, 7v7, 8v8, etc. and they settled on 6v6 I'm sure they had a bloody good reason for doing so.

If your big complaint about Titanfall is you don't like the Titans then this doesn't exactly sound like the best game for you.

Why are you getting all defensive. You were the one that said the bots are "Filler", they don't add atmosphere, they just stand there awkwardly taking away from the pvp aspect. I'd go as far to say they almost take away from the satisfaction of getting a kill on actual players because I've just taken down 10 AI as they all stood their oblivious to me shooting them in the face.

I'm sure they did play test stuff, but you say that like I'm suppose to take it as proof that 6v6 is best.. maybe it is, maybe it isn't.. I would have preferred the option to play vs more players though.

Yeah, I don't like the Titan gameplay... and judging by how often its Titan vs AI Titan... im not the only one that got bored of it very quickly. The most fun time in a Titanfall match is within the first 2 minutes when its mostly ground combat. Whether or not you agree with my opinion is up to you, i'd rather be running around killing other players than running around searching for the 2/3 players that aren't in Titans among an army of AI... but maybe that's just my oldschool shooter preference coming through.

Again, I would just like these options to be in the next game.. I think the PVP combat outside of the Titans is good and pretty fun, would probably have played a lot more of the game if there were barebones modes. Maybe if they actually supported the PC version properly and had some server browsers/customisation the game would still have some decent support. I haven't got one BIG complaint, I have multiple medium sized ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just started playing! What's the reason for the bots?
    I don't know whether I'm shooting other players or bots really annoying.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

oh give me strength :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,005 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

It's all a bit Meh tbh. Thought it would be better considering the hype. Maybe the 360 version isn't as good.
    Reminds me of Halo 4 except it's nowhere near as good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Not a fan if the Titan Burn Cards tbh.I Hardly even use burn cards in general , just totally forget about them during matches.

Not a fan if the Titan Burn Cards tbh.I Hardly even use burn cards in general , just totally forget about them during matches.

I've only played the matches we had the other night since the update, but they seemed very overpowered. I'm always forgetting to use em as well, if they introduced an option to randomly assign 3 burn cards from your deck I might actually remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Agreed, the Titan burn cards were a stupid addition when it comes to Last Titan Standing.

It has completely unbalanced the LTS mode. I don't think they were needed at all.

Its certainly unbalanced the tactical element of it anyway. It was much better when everyone was on a level playing field, I have no problem with the pilot burn cards being available in that mode though. What'd actually be pretty good, is if the only way to earn titan burn cards was by playing last titan standing or ctf, it might be an incentive to get people playing to get cards to use in attrition / hardpoint etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

How do you kill a titan when jumping on?

No matter what gun i use i seem to kill myself :o

dont use anti titan weapons when rodeo attacking, use your rifle / shotgun whatever.

Also, make sure its not electric smoke thats killing you - this is a titans anti rodeo countermeasure. I could be wrong, but since the recent update, it seems harder to hear the smoke being deployed / pilot exiting the titan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Your probably using the sidewinder I'd say are you?.the splash damage from it will kill you if our too close.fastest way is to use the spitfire LMg with the slammer attachment but then ur limited against players.I used to just fire a mag from both my carbine and semi 45 and then just throw down 3 satchels jump and detonate.There really isn't any wrong or right way of doing it, just keep an eye out for the smoke ; )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

nope using my rifle, played a few games earlier and it happened again

• Advertisement

nope using my rifle, played a few games earlier and it happened again

you're probably being killed by something else. Most titans deploy electric smoke when they are being rodeod, and this is a great way to kill the pilot on your head

When that fails I fire a cluster missile at a nearby surface and back up into it, which can also kill the pilot (though it causes damage to you also)

Advertisement