Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Titanfall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

It looks remarkably similar to Warframe in many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I predict a raft of 7 and 8 out of 10 reviews

too many outlets far too invested in a 9-10/10 score now after hyping it up so much and telling everyone how absolutely awesome it is from their hands on. If it scores below 8 anywhere expect fanboy meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

COYVB wrote: »
    too many outlets far too invested in a 9-10/10 score now after hyping it up so much and telling everyone how absolutely awesome it is from their hands on. If it scores below 8 anywhere expect fanboy meltdown
    Anywhere that sets it below 8 is going to see a hell of a lot of traffic though.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Anywhere that sets it below 8 is going to see a hell of a lot of traffic though.

True that. Sadly I'm not on review duty for it our end so I won't get to see the fallout over what I would've written :P

True that. Sadly I'm not on review duty for it our end so I won't get to see the fallout over what I would've written :P
    I take it you've played a fair bit and it wouldn't have been pretty.

• Advertisement

I take it you've played a fair bit and it wouldn't have been pretty.

Oh it's decent like, but the superlatives being chucked around are a bit... bizarre. But then I'm not reviewing it for a reason, I don't particularly care for online only shooters

*edit*

and like everyone else I'll be jumping into the beta and seeing how that fares

Good, balanced review here. Sounds like it's a fun game, just not groundbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

6:00
    "The awm-bee-anze"

Nope, close video.

Only 1 minute in so far (will watch more), but "it's much easier to get into than COD or BF4"...Could that be the fact that it's brand new so you don't have the "pros" playing yet? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

6:00
    "The awm-bee-anze"

Nope, close video.

It's Angry Joe, the guy's an idiot and has proven it countless times.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'm sure it'll be grand like, but I don't really see what all the hype is about.

Only 1 minute in so far (will watch more), but "it's much easier to get into than COD or BF4"...Could that be the fact that it's brand new so you don't have the "pros" playing yet? :p

That's typically my issue with online shooters - if you're not in from the beginning and putting stupid amounts of time into them they're absolutely no fun due to the typically awful matchmaking that usually drops you in with guys who do nothing but play the game all day, every day.

Every single online FPS should have a casual mode for people who just want to have a bit of fun for an hour or so a week

MadYaker wrote: »
    I'm sure it'll be grand like, but I don't really see what all the hype is about.

I'm genuinely baffled as to why it's gotten so big pre-release

That's typically my issue with online shooters - if you're not in from the beginning and putting stupid amounts of time into them they're absolutely no fun due to the typically awful matchmaking that usually drops you in with guys who do nothing but play the game all day, every day.

Every single online FPS should have a casual mode for people who just want to have a bit of fun for an hour or so a week

You'd probably still get the "pros" looking for some easy kills.

You'd probably still get the "pros" looking for some easy kills.

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement some kind of system that matches time spent and stats against a maximum level for entry. Played too much or are too good and you don't get in.

If they're REALLY willing to set up new profiles to go online, then let them at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Shouldn't be too difficult to implement some kind of system that matches time spent and stats against a maximum level for entry. Played too much or are too good and you don't get in.

If they're REALLY willing to set up new profiles to go online, then let them at it

Gears of war 3 did that didn't they ???? If i recall there was some kind of rookie mode, it stopped you playing once you advanced a few levels.

calex71 wrote: »
    Gears of war 3 did that didn't they ???? If i recall there was some kind of rookie mode, it stopped you playing once you advanced a few levels.
    I think it did yeah, think it was for people that Gears 3 was their first game, or hadn't done much in the first 2. Don't know specifics as it was locked for me from when I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

come on gimme a break , it doesnt take much effort to become all that handy at any fps.

returnNull wrote: »
    come on gimme a break , it doesnt take much effort to become all that handy at any fps.

It takes at least an hour a day very regularly, which many people don't have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Yeah was gonna say... how the hell can they even make it any easier than CoD or BF lol... I get that some people are just not very good at shooters, but honestly that's the same with any competitive online game. By the sounds of it, its easier because you in a way dont have to PVP to get good scores.

It just needs a solid match making system. CS:GO has a decent ranking system for a shooter, you'll pretty much never be matched against top players unless you are good enough. Call of duty has always had ****ty MM, pretty much just a completely random system so i wouldn't be surprised if this game is the same.

I still have concerns about the bots making those sweet kills less satisfying.. at least after the initial "Honeymoon" period of the game is over. Hopefully get a beta key soon enough to try it out for myself.

Magill wrote: »
    how the hell can they even make it any easier than CoD or BF

It's not a question of easier

Not really, maybe for something with more depth... but these arcade games are very easy to jump into. Games like quake and cs take a long time to get decent at.. but i could jump into any call of duty or battlefield having not played either of the new ones or any other proper shooter in a good while and im sure i'd be doing well almost instantly. Obviously some people need more time, but generally as long as your not terrible at shooters you should be able to do just fine playing CoD or BF casually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Fair enough , but thats not the games fault though .Its not a casual game type. You cant stay in noob lobbies forever :pac:

It's not a question of easier

I know what he meant... giving lesser skilled players the ability to kill horribly designed AI makes it more accessible.... having titans require no actual effort from the player to get etc.

What that is doing is catering to casuals, which is fine, i just can see myself getting bored pretty damn fast if im killing ****ty AI. I enjoy shooters that challenge me.

returnNull wrote: »
    Its not a casual game type

its THE casual game type to be fair

its THE casual game type to be fair

What is ? Online shooters ?

Magill wrote: »
    What is ? Online shooters ?

Yup. How many "3 game a year" guys do you know who do nothing but play FIFA and COD online on their systems? That pretty much sums up the bulk of my casual gamer mates

Yup. How many "3 game a year" guys do you know who do nothing but play FIFA and COD online on their systems? That pretty much sums up the bulk of my casual gamer mates
    Yep. Some people think 'casual gamer' is synonymous with 'plays games I don't like'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

For years and years all I played was counter strike source :o and I'm only average.

It'll probably sell millions due to all the hype, casual gamers will be delighted but more hardcore FPS players will probably find it boring, and that's fine I suppose, they have their target market.

Advertisement