Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Building & Upgrading Infraction

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭

I wasnt going to bother disputing this infraction I got in the computer forum but I dont like the injustice of it

It was for a joke which came from a meme

Someone asked about getting water from a monitor and I replied with "Put it in rice and leave it over night and the Asians will fix it for you"

taken from a very funny meme
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84666625&postcount=8480

I tried to contact Solitaire, 3 times infact, first one to say how the hell was that infraction, 2nd one showing where I got the joke from and third one apologising if I offended anyone but it was a joke and not one reply. This infraction happened on the 03-06-2013 19:58 and not one reply from Solitaire which is a pretty disappointing. I hate airing my grievances and I rather talk to the mod but nope not even a reply.

So getting back to my infraction how is this justified that I get an infraction for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Just a quick update that we're looking at this

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I thought I had sent a PM in reply to your third PM a few days back, but judging from this it appears it was not sent successfully. I had a bad feeling it was wishful thinking that the dispute had been resolved when I didn't receive any further replies...

In regards to the offending post: it did not contain the meme image, I did not know of the meme in question at the time, I personally don't find the meme in question that funny, and I'm almost certain that I am very far from being the only human being on earth that feels that way about the situation. The fact that your post had already been reported by the time I found it does seem to attest to that fact.

To someone who has never seen the image before your post does look very like someone has randomly decided to start making rather groan-inducing racist jokes on a perfectly unassuming (and relatively major) B&U thread. Not that putting a bad joke on top of a picture somehow makes it acceptable nor somehow fashionable either. To add to the problem your post induced others to start adding to it; needless to say, you were not the only person to have posts removed.

To be brutally honest, I don't exactly know when calling something a "meme" made it so acceptable to make racial stereotypes and joke about poor people starving in the space of a single bad joke. Yeah, its something you link to your mates or say to them down the pub to make them laugh and/or groan but posting it in the middle of a busy B&U thread isn't really that clever. It only just managed to crawl far enough across the "unacceptable behaviour" line to earn you an Infraction, its certainly not worthy of any other action (you were not at any point banned from any forum for that) and I'm certainly not saying that there's anything wrong with posting the odd gag or meme in the forum but your post was construed to be in decidedly poor taste by more than just me.

You can never assume that people have seen a specific meme before you reference it, you can't assume that the raw text from a meme will really make much sense without the original image, and you can't assume that all memes are really that nice to begin with. To someone who had not seen that specific meme before, the raw text just sounds like an unexpected bad dose of Jim Davidson has been vomited onto the thread.

A single infraction on its own shouldn't instantly ruin your life but if you're really that upset about it I can try to get it removed as it was a borderline case to begin with. Just bear in mind that openly racist jokes aren't really made that much better by widespread acceptance and they don't have a place anywhere on Boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ya remove the infraction please

• Registered Users Posts: 54,323 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im still waiting for this poor judgement of an infraction to be removed

" I can try to get it removed as it was a borderline case to begin with."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

As the mod who applied the card suggested they would remove it for you, I've hesitantly removed it.

I say hesitantly due to the snippy nature of your last two posts here. A grave injustice was not visited upon you, and the people running the forums on Boards are volunteers so you might do well to remember that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement