Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why people don't pick up after their dogs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,308 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Animals are crapping in our houses and we’re picking it up! Did we lose a war?

I think a lot of it has to do with the whole "nobody else does it so I'm not gonna bother" mentality.

I'll admit that I don't tidy up after my dogs (I really should start) and the main reason is that they stop to pee on or sniff another dogs poop every 10 feet. Another poop in that mine field isn't really gonna make a difference.

You just shouldn't let him stop anyway, he could pick up any number of things from other dogs pi*s and s*it. A could firm pull on the lead every time he tries to stop will keep him moving.

Also other people not cleaning up is not a reason for you not to, maybe its everyone having this mentality that there is so much of it around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Or why do people bother bagging it and then just tying the bag to a branch of a tree or on to some railings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

anaya wrote: »
    Seems like you have experience rubbing it on yourself? :D

No just on others! Fancy it sometime??! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

McDermotX wrote: »
    Animals are crapping in our houses and we’re picking it up! Did we lose a war?

I think its the crapping outside that is up for discussion here. If your dog is crapping in your house that's a whole other kettle of fish!
    Or why do people bother bagging it and then just tying the bag to a branch of a tree or on to some railings?

Never seen that but yeah its ridiculous. I dump it in the nearest public bin. I know you're supposed to take it home but Im a member of the public and its a public bin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Where I live, practically everyone who walks their dogs picks up after them. I'd imagine it's dogs that are left to roam that are the bigger issue in certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Same reason people throw stuff out of car windows and dump refuse sacks full of rubbish at the side of the road, they just couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

if my dog makes motions to go on a path i pull the lead and he stops i wait until we are in the woods or beside a hedge and let him go. i bring bags but if he goes in the woods i just fling it into the shrubery or the hedge. ifs its on concrete i pick it up. simples.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Its like a poop hell, I live in Dublin 15 but its everywhere. Can't step even think of stepping on the grass and even on pathways :( feel like picking it up and putting it on the front door of the dog owners or throw it inside their homes....

In Carpenterstown myself and there's some fúcker around here who bags it and hangs it off fences. Do they expect it to magic it's way to a bin or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

In Carpenterstown myself and there's some fúcker around here who bags it and hangs it off fences. Do they expect it to magic it's way to a bin or something...

Maybe its a kind of protest -
    "There Ive bagged it... my job is done"

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think a lot of it has to do with the whole "nobody else does it so I'm not gonna bother" mentality.

I'll admit that I don't tidy up after my dogs (I really should start) and the main reason is that they stop to pee on or sniff another dogs poop every 10 feet. Another poop in that mine field isn't really gonna make a difference.

And that's why there's dog crap everywhere; because of all the other people thinking 'well, one more won't make any difference'. Shame on you for giving us all a bad name.

I clean up after my dogs and I carry the bagged poo to the bin (the numbers of which declined sharply before the British queen's visit and haven't gone back up).

Now, maybe I should start a thread with sweeping generalisations about people, because of all the rubbish, half-eaten sandwiches, sweet wrappers, and general other man-made detritus that I see littering footpaths every day. Especially the junkie shíte under the bridges on the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,434 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I usually always clean up after my dog. But he was sick a while ago and had diarrhoea. He scuttered a puddle of it onto the grass and I had to leave it. Some woman stopped me and started going mad at me for not picking it up. How the fcuk was I supposed to pick that up?! With a straw?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I usually always clean up after my dog. But he was sick a while ago and had diarrhoea. He scuttered a puddle of it onto the grass and I had to leave it. Some woman stopped me and started going mad at me for not picking it up. How the fcuk was I supposed to pick that up?! With a straw?!!

I don't know why they have those "Ná Scoitear" signs on motorways and never around greens or footpaths. I mean, who walks a dog on a motorway??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

yep same here, noticed about 2 or 3 bags of sh!te hanging up in Riverwood this morning between my house and walk to my kids school. Will be putting this person right if I catch him - we've campaigned for bins long enough with Fingal for some lazy [EMAIL="tw@t"]tw@t[/EMAIL] to make some sort of decoration of them. Sometimes it's just bagged and left on the ground to fester.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Some people think that they are too good to pick up dog ****e.
    Saw it last night in Griffeen Valley Park - kids were doing their GAA training and in come a couple walking their dog, dog stops right beside the kids to take a crap meanwhile yer man in his A&F t-shirt and yer was in her oversized Gucci sunglasses pretend the dog isn't having a gick.
    Luckily I have a stash of dog poo bags, any responsible owner have pockets full of them.
    I walked over, said nothing, handed them a bag and embarrassed the gick out of them to pick up the poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 anaya

No just on others! Fancy it sometime??! :D

hahahaa:D

stoneill wrote: »
    Some people think that they are too good to pick up dog ****e.
    Saw it last night in Griffeen Valley Park - kids were doing their GAA training and in come a couple walking their dog, dog stops right beside the kids to take a crap meanwhile yer man in his A&F t-shirt and yer was in her oversized Gucci sunglasses pretend the dog isn't having a gick.
    Luckily I have a stash of dog poo bags, any responsible owner have pockets full of them.
    I walked over, said nothing, handed them a bag and embarrassed the gick out of them to pick up the poo.

You said everything without saying anything, that's the politest..;)

That doesn't make sense, the hard part is done, why why leaving the easy part undone? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Baffles me too,but nearly every field in my estate has dozens of bags of dog mess tied to the railings and hanging off tree branches.Disgusting looking.

Council usual collect them every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

don't know, maybe you should ask the next dog walker you see walking away from their dogs sh!te

• Advertisement

Not related to dog owners but another thing I've noticed the last few days especially is people throwing bags of rubbish around the special bins provided for bags of dog s*it.

Walked passed one this morning and there were bags of empty cans, food containers etc piled up beside it. Now I suppose I shouldn't complain as most are not leaving there stuff thrown around the place (though some are) but surely when they go to the effort of gathering up they should bring the stuff home/to a proper bin.

That said the council could do with putting a few bins around the area, the probability of people using them for household waste is probably the reason they haven't I'd imagine.

That doesn't make sense, the hard part is done, why why leaving the easy part undone? :confused:
    Baffles me too,but nearly every field in my estate has dozens of bags of dog mess tied to the railings and hanging off tree branches.Disgusting looking.

Council usual collect them every few weeks.

People claim that it's because there aren't any bins nearby. While I agree that there is a woeful dearth of bins, in Dublin at least, why they can't carry it to a bin I have no idea. It's too 'ikky', I presume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

Sometimes there are genuinely no bins around.

I was walking my dog up the canal recently, sunny day so a few people were around, and of course he waits for an audience before squatting to do his business. I picked it up, carried it all the way for the rest of our walk (during which we spied a lovely dirty nappy, empty cans and beer bottles around, and poor doggy cut his paw on broken glass) and there wasn't a single bin to throw it in.

We walked all the way back to the car which was parked a bit away, and still no bin. Ended up having to drive the bag of s***e home with us and throw it in our black bin.

Now I'm not saying this is an excuse for leaving your dirt (dog and otherwise) behind you, but I can see why people wouldn't want to transport a bag of crap in the car on a hot day just because there's no bins around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No need for the picking it up in a plastic bag routine - that's what golf clubs are for!

Rover drops a clonakilty on the grass, take out your 3iron...feet shoulder width apart, head steady, keep your eye on the turd and remember to follow-thru!

*goggles optional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I never picked up a dog ****e in my life

I live out the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

kylith wrote: »
    People claim that it's because there aren't any bins nearby. While I agree that there is a woeful dearth of bins, in Dublin at least, why they can't carry it to a bin I have no idea. It's too 'ikky', I presume.

I guarantee Dublin is one of the best looked after places in that respect. You should see the great chasms between bins here in Laois. And Im sure its the same in the rest of the country. Then when you do see a bin its got a 'no dog poo' sign on it, which I ignore, obviously.

Sad as it is, you're probably right about owners thinking their dogs poo is 'ikky'. If you're not prepared to clean up their sh1t, you shouldn't have a dog. Imagine if parents thought their kids sh1t was too 'icky' to clean up. Social services would be at the door in a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

There's free poo bags along my walk route I grab a few every time I pass them whether she uses them or not so I have a heap of them now, every time I put my hand in my pocket I pull out a poo bag.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Back in the 80s when I was a kid dog crap was everywhere - especially in the little grass verges on housing estates - they were basically latrines for dogs. Stepping in dog**** was an occupational hazard of playing on my street.

The situation had got a lot better from the 90s onwards with new laws and some enforcement to get people to pick up after their canines. But it does seem in the last few years - since the recession - to have relapsed back to the bad old days. For instance, last Tuesday I was looking for a spot to sit down on the green area around the Wellington Monument in the Phoenix Park but there was dog **** everywhere - it was really disgusting!

As usual in this country - lack of enforcement is the main reason people are getti g away with it.

**Vai** wrote: »
    I guarantee Dublin is one of the best looked after places in that respect. You should see the great chasms between bins here in Laois. And Im sure its the same in the rest of the country.
    I don't doubt that Dublin is probably better served. But along the route I usually walk there have been three bins, two regular and one dog poo bin, removed in the last couple of years. There's now about 750m to the first bin on our walk, as opposed to half that a couple of years ago. Walking another route, along the canal, just about the only bins are at Luas stops.
    Then when you do see a bin its got a 'no dog poo' sign on it, which I ignore, obviously.
    You and me both!
    Sad as it is, you're probably right about owners thinking their dogs poo is 'ikky'. If you're not prepared to clean up their sh1t, you shouldn't have a dog. Imagine if parents thought their kids sh1t was too 'icky' to clean up. Social services would be at the door in a flash.
    Absolutely.

That said, there are few things as revolting as accidentally picking up another dog's cold poo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭GoldenLight

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Latest trend around my neighbourhood is to pick it up and hang it in poo bags off the nearest tree/post/gate. Would rather they just left the sh!te there on the ground TBH

I have to agree with this, why would people go to the effort of tidying up after their beloved pet craps on the ground, putting it in a bag, and then hang it in a tree, or throw it in a bush, or on the side of the road? ( I see the evidence to this about 10 to 20 times a day) I would much prefer they left it there to naturally degrade

My only logical conclusion is that the pet owners are waiting for a volcano to erupt and engulf us in fossilising ash, forever engulfing the memory of their pets ****. Grrrrrrrrr

Advertisement