Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schull Fastnet Sprint

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Heading down this weekend, for my first tri. May as well start with a few sprints and work my way up to Olympic eventually.

Has anyone any tips for a newbie? The swimming and cycling would be my strongest parts. I intend to hang back at the beginning at let the racers on their way.

Doing it in a surf 3/2 suit. I can't justify a tri suit yet as it is only my first one.
    Do you need them race belts I see online for your number? Or is it ok just to stick it on your front and leave it there. One of the lads I know suggested putting it on your back on the bike and spin around to the front running.

For a sprint I presume not much in the way of fuel is required, have a gel or 2 on the bike and in the back pocket for the run?

Finally has anyone done this race that could give some pointers on the course? I looked on the Schull Tri club website and they have described last years course, is the same one generally used every year?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Casula

Yes lad. If this is your first race hanging back on the swim is a sensible move. It should allow you get settled into a rythm. Bike course seems to be an out and back affair. Road surface is fairly bumpy with a bit of a climb followed by a sharp decent as you leave town.After that it's a rolling country road. Put a sports drink on the bike as its likely to be pretty warm come race day. Dont reckon youll need any gels but leave one or two in your trainers at transition. You can then take them with you on the run and use as required. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

swim - course will depend on wind and tides. Should be directly out from the slip (waist deep start), left turn to head of pier and back along the foreshore. little wind forecast so should be ideal. temp was nice last weekend. 2 waves of approx 200 split by approx swim time.

bike - short (200m) v.steep hill out of town in 1st km - 2 fast down hill on way out - have to be climbed on the way back. surface poor on hills.
    the hill back into town has a 90 degree right at the bottom - no overtaking allowed on the down hill - too dangerous.

run is beautiful - back the colla road with views of cape clere and long island. rolling but nothing too taxing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

done and dusted. 1hr 33 dropped a bucket of time on the run as I blistered. The bike was torture couldnt get a rhythm at all due to the climbs. Happy out though especially with the swim 14.55. Overall happy for my first, now to look for a few more this year!

Advertisement