Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amber teething

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi, has anyone tried the amber teething necklaces or alleges? Would you recommend them?

Teeth seem to be bothering more one the last few days.

Also does anyone where I can get a baby a,ber anklet from, little one is four months old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Nicky987 wrote: »
    Hi, has anyone tried the amber teething necklaces or alleges? Would you recommend them?

Teeth seem to be bothering more one the last few days.

Also does anyone where I can get a baby a,ber anklet from, little one is four months old.

There is an old thread with alot of debate on this - always starts arguements....! But for what it's worth - I use them - bought necklace in local pharmacy - she wears as anklet to minimise any choke hazard. Helped for her second two teeth - not as much for the next 2. It's a leap of faith as its alternative without scientific evidence base but so are alot of old wives tales that worked for me so in short - yes - I'd recommend them :)
    Cue aggressive critism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Guest1111

Thats funny Dublinlady, I know where you are coming from. I have one too that I put on my child when she is drooling alot and I think it helps. I also put it on her ankle. I try and hide it in public as I am afraid some mother will come up to me and give out! My husband thinks its codswallop and hates the thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Guest1111 wrote: »
    I also put it on her ankle. I try and hide it in public as I am afraid some mother will come up to me and give out!

I wouldn't worry too much about that, my son wears his around his ankle too & with the warm weather lately he's been in shorts & sandals with no socks so it's v.visible. I've only had people asking questions as most didn't know what it was & most were intrigued & happily discussed why I used them with no judgement ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Guest1111

Im a chicken : )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think they are complete nonsense but as long as people are not trying to cure cancer or similar with them then they can use them as much as they want. In a safe way. No way would I give out to somebody about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I actually hadn't been using mine lately as was in bare feet a lot in garden and paddling pool etc and was wondering why she been narky (thinking the heat) put it on yesterday and all back to normal. Have tooth no 9 on the way and since using the beads haven't really needed anything else for teething. But as Dublinlady said. They do get a lot of criticism .

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nicky987

I've read the pros and cons and like anything it's worth a shot, it's not going to make things any worse.

Does anyone know where I can pick one up from either in drogheda, balbriggan, donabate, swords??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Nicky987 wrote: »
    I've read the pros and cons and like anything it's worth a shot, it's not going to make things any worse.

Does anyone know where I can pick one up from either in drogheda, balbriggan, donabate, swords??

My son has worn his necklace since be was around 9 weeks if I recall correctly, and it does seem to have eased teething.
    Hushlittlebubba.com sell them.
    Teethingsos.com sell them, but they advertise them as for over 36 months voluntarily.
    Both are Irish companies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Amber beads were recently recalled. They are not approved for children under three due to choking and strangulation risks.
    Linky here:
    http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=103&n=127&a=994

They are pure quackery, popularised by celebs. But, the same as with any other magic beans 'solution', as long as you're not being a total moron, and doing daft things like wrapping them around a childs' neck, or somewhere where they can choke on them, then they are no harm.

Your kid doesn't need them to get teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Of course they do harm, they show people what an idiot you are and set a bad example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Of course they do harm, they show people what an idiot you are and set a bad example.

Unhelpful posting is not tolerated here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

pwurple wrote: »
    Amber beads were recently recalled. They are not approved for children under three due to choking and strangulation risks.
    Linky here:
    http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=103&n=127&a=994

Only 1 specific product was recalled as the link you posted expains not all amber teething products were recalled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Are they are homoeopathic type remedy? I have never heard of them. I can't imagine they do any harm, and go for it if they might do some good.

I found the Teetha powders brilliants. 9/10 times would only use these and so it meant very rarely did I ever have to use a painkiller for the child. I still don't know if the powder being in the mouth distracted the child from the pain or if it actually helps in some way with the teething ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That's harsh, but to be brutally honest, I do look at people who's kids have them, and think.... Sucker. Mainly because it's a waste of money, same way I think sky sports is a waste of money.

So maybe be prepared for that kind of thing. I've seen people get some abuse for them alright.

pwurple wrote: »
    So maybe be prepared for that kind of thing. I've seen people get some abuse for them alright.

I'd like to see anyone try, they'd be picking on the wrong mother!!!

Well everyone has a freedom to do as they please. Like most things are old wives tales but if some people find them helpful then that's good. I know the teeth appear without these that is not the reason for looking to get one. Thank you for everyone with helpful comments. Those without truly show how pathetic some people in this world are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I have used them for 6.5 yrs with 3 children, never had a bad comment from anyone and would not be without them. Have taken them off to see if symptoms reappear and tested again when back on and on 3 different children i have seen results. mine wear them day and night from 4 mths, i am happy to have actually done MY homework re safety etc and i would challenge you to find i single article linking amber beads to any death or injury of a child, I could not, in seven years.
    I do not know why or how they have an effect, but my son, for instance, has no drool, zero, while wearing the necklace and when teething; if i remove it for a bath and do not put in on afterwards he will be drooling and red-cheeked in the morning. Put the necklace on and he back to drool free after lunch. I did not use bibs for him after i gave him the necklace.
    If you read the recall notice it is for one product specifically and it is only because there is no safety standard to cover it, it is covered as a children's toy. So no concerns or issues were actually raised.

Thanks lynski. Where did you find the best place to buy them from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Here's what they do- make parents feel better.

Here's what they do for babies- nothing, except make them possibly choke or inhale the beads.

They are pure quackery, marketed to overworried parents who are getting worked up about a pretty minor discomfort. We all remember "teething" for our adult teeth, and how did that feel? A very mild annoyance at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

MrCreosote wrote: »
    Here's what they do- make parents feel better.

Here's what they do for babies- nothing, except make them possibly choke or inhale the beads.

They are pure quackery, marketed to overworried parents who are getting worked up about a pretty minor discomfort. We all remember "teething" for our adult teeth, and how did that feel? A very mild annoyance at worst.

My son was admitted to hospital for teething.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They don't work op. Here's my reasoning.
    They supposedly work because they get warm they release an chemical into the skin that has pain relieving qualities. So if you're using them, you're giving your baby a constant stream of drugs into their system.
    Now, you know yourself that teething is sore. Babies chew everything and their cheeks become swollen. Now, if there's enough pain relieving ingredients (otherwise known as "drugs") in amber to relieve this pain, that must be a lot of drugs being absorbed by the skin.
    Next time you're sick, have sore back, twisted swollen ankle, toothache etc, try wearing an amber necklace to see if it works yourself

Cienciano wrote: »
    Next time you're sick, have sore back, twisted swollen ankle, toothache etc, try wearing an amber necklace to see if it works yourself

When I said I was getting my son amber beads my MIL said she'd used them in the early stages of her arthritis & found them to have a pain relieving effect but them I suppose you're just going to put that down to the placebo effect so there's no winning!!

Ms2011 wrote: »
    When I said I was getting my son amber beads my MIL said she'd used them in the early stages of her arthritis & found them to have a pain relieving effect but them I suppose you're just going to put that down to the placebo effect so there's no winning!!

I gave my reasoning! Even if it did work, I wouldn't want a constant supply of drugs, strong enough to mask the pain of teething being given to my baby!
    Notice you haven't tried it yourself ;)
    Next time you're in pain, try them.

Haven't had the need???!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I gave my reasoning! Even if it did work, I wouldn't want a constant supply of drugs, strong enough to mask the pain of teething being given to my baby!
    Next time you're in pain, try them.

Equating amber beads to drugs to mask the pain of teething is like equating shoes to drugs to the mask the pain on walking on gravel.

liliq wrote: »
    Equating amber beads to drugs to mask the pain of teething is like equating shoes to drugs to the mask the pain on walking on gravel.

How would you interperate this then:
    Amber has been used to relieve the symptoms of teething in babies throughout Europe for generations. Amber is a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory. When amber is placed against the skin, the warmth of the skin causes it to release the active element - succinite. Succinite is a natural constituent of plant and animal tissue and is involved in the bodies’ metabolic process. The pharmaceutical industry use it today in many products

http://www.teethingsos.com/amber-and-healing.html

I'm not against giving people drugs for pain at all, but give them when needed. But as I said, if amber contains enough of the active element succinite to relieve the pain of teething (which we can all agree is pretty sore) which is absorbed through the skin, what else is it?
    OP, one of my kids is 19 months, he had an amber necklace bought from the above site and it makes zero difference. As I said twice, try wearing it yourself and see if it does anything. If it's strong enough to numb the pain of teething it should have a noticeable effect because teething is obviously very sore. Put it like this, I don't think many doctors would prescribe wearing amber

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

This issue can be and will argued forever and like everything both sides will always have evidence to prove that their theory is correct.

I am closing the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement