Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tracker mortgage @1.6%

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

just got a letter from ptsb with the new repayment , so the interest rate went down (we where on 1.85%) to 1.6% and repayment droped by only 10euro , outstanding amount on the mortgage is just over 200k , i thought it was something like 15euro per 100k borrowed if the rate dropped by 0.25% ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

"...for a typical mortgage..." The remaining term will have an impact as well.

Paying off a 200k mortgage with 20 years remaining will mean that your monthly repayment has a much higher proportion of interest than the same loan over 10 years (and vice versa) and therefore the impact of a rate reduction will be greater (and vice versa)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭transam

we have 27years left...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Sounds incorrect to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

At 1.6% on full P&I that would equate to 760 per month

At 1.85%, it equates to 785 per month

so I would agree with you, sounds incorrect

Are you coming out of Tax Relief?

our repayment was 642 (including trs , and we are not coming out of tax relief until 2017) and the new repayment @1.6% is 631 PM
    could that be correct ?? or ptsb is just taking a chance ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭rameire

what date did ptsb change the rate on your mortgage,
    could it have been a mid month rate change,
    thus meaning for a full month of the new rate the payment will be less again.

=-pmt(rate/12, term in months, balance )

use the above in excel to get your payments.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

TRS shouldn't matter, the bank should be stating the actual mortgage repayment amount not the amount - TRS.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

the date interest rate is being changed is may 31 , i do think something is not right here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Just for comparison I have a 60k outstanding balance on a tracker (11 years to run on that) and with the latest reduction my repayment dropped €8 pm. So €10 seems way off for your (much larger) mortgage which would have a much larger interest component at this stage.

Advertisement