Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting into Jazz

Options
  • 06-06-2013 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

So I'd really love to get into Jazz more, am just looking for recomendations on jazz artists to start out with, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

So I'd really love to get into Jazz more, am just looking for recomendations on jazz artists to start out with, thanks.

Depends really, are you talking about the big band era, Duke Ellington, Glenn Miller, Count Basie & Benny Goodman.
    Or perhaps the singers like Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Sarah Vaughan & Peggy Lee
    Perhaps jazz artists like Thelonius Monk, Gil Evans, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, onto guys like Chick Corea, Miles Davis & Herbie Hancock.
    So much choice, so many genres, maybe just get the music app spotify & browse to your hearts content, see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Lelantos wrote: »
    So much choice, so many genres, maybe just get the music app spotify & browse to your hearts content, see what you like.

+1.

OP, as said above, there is so much music that comes under the name of "jazz" that it can be over whelming. Any of the names mentioned by Lelantos would be a good place to start. Check out a few on You Tube.

Here is a similar thread from the "Jazz/Blues" forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056744643

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

miles+blue.jpg

No better gateway to jazz this this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Philip Larkin the poet was a big Jazz fan. Recently a compilation of his favourite tunes was released. It 92 songs in total and spans more than three decades of music and styles.

Its a great intoduction to Jazz:
    http://www.larkinsjazz.com/

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

There is a big sale in Winnipeg, Canada this weekend of most of CBCs library. Records going for 50c each or 100 for $25. I just got 200 records, mostly Jazz and Soul for only $50 CAD. Sweet as!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

iamstop wrote: »
    There is a big sale in Winnipeg, Canada this weekend of most of CBCs library. Records going for 50c each or 100 for $25. I just got 200 records, mostly Jazz and Soul for only $50 CAD. Sweet as!

I'm guessing that's Canada the country, just a guess mind!
    Lucky you!

Thank yous for all suggestions, looks like I might be busy.

I was thinking Spotify too, usually use Shuffle.fm and think they have genres, so that will be handy.

First album I bought was Nina Simone, loved her. Was at the beach last week and heard some Jazz instrumentals, and loved it whatever it was, so has made me want to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,692 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've been hearing a lot of adverts on RTE Radio 1 for a jazz show "Jazz Alley" on Wednesdays at 7pm on RTE Lyric FM.

May be worth checking that out too?

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/jazz-alley/

Advertisement