Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem keeps rebooting/No DSL connection

Options
  • 06-06-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Bear with me because I'm bad at explaining technical stuff

We keep losing out internet for HOURS at a time. We have a Zyxel router, when the net drops only the power light and the wireless light are on. The net will randomly work for a few minutes then drop again. We called Eircom a few days ago and they sent out a technician today who fixed it. He was only gone 20 minutes when the net dropped again. This time the power light, wireless light and the DLS light were green but the internet light was red. It has now randomly started working again after around 3 hours. Before we lost net completely a few days ago the router would reboot itself every hour or so persistently, it's been like this for a few months and the connection is considerably slower than it should be. About 5 months ago the phone line went dead (no dial tone). When we called customer care the lady insisted the problem was with our phone's batteries (it wasn't as we even bought a new phone to check) but she refused to send out a technician so we've had no house phone ever since. Since the technician today came out the dial tone has now returned but we can't make outgoing calls!

Is the problem the router? If so why didn't the technician replace it? He didn't even tell us what the problem was, or even that he was finished working, he just left without a word.

EDIT: Phone is currently working

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

ShelTomato wrote: »

We keep losing out internet for HOURS at a time. We have a Zyxel router, when the net drops only the power light and the wireless light are on. The net will randomly work for a few minutes then drop again. We called Eircom a few days ago and they sent out a technician today who fixed it. He was only gone 20 minutes when the net dropped again. This time the power light, wireless light and the DLS light were green but the internet light was red. It has now randomly started working again after around 3 hours. Before we lost net completely a few days ago the router would reboot itself every hour or so persistently, it's been like this for a few months and the connection is considerably slower than it should be. About 5 months ago the phone line went dead (no dial tone). When we called customer care the lady insisted the problem was with our phone's batteries (it wasn't as we even bought a new phone to check) but she refused to send out a technician so we've had no house phone ever since. Since the technician today came out the dial tone has now returned but we can't make outgoing calls!

Is the problem the router? If so why didn't the technician replace it? He didn't even tell us what the problem was, or even that he was finished working, he just left without a word.

Hi
    ShelTomato

Can you PM your tel no: & I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi ShelTomato

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I got your PM and spoke to broadband support I see the engineer was out on the 06/06/13. I checked the report and managers in support have monitored the connection since and the connection seems to be stable now.

Is that the case your end.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ShelTomato

Hi ShelTomato

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I got your PM and spoke to broadband support I see the engineer was out on the 06/06/13. I checked the report and managers in support have monitored the connection since and the connection seems to be stable now.

Is that the case your end.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks for the reply, I haven't been home the weekend to monitor but I've been told there's been no net all weekend and still none today.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been home the weekend to monitor but I've been told there's been no net all weekend and still none today.
    Hi
    ShelTomato

Can you see if someone at home can connect the modem directly via ethernet cable to see if there is any broadband signal.

Thanks, Mark

Hi
    ShelTomato

Can you see if someone at home can connect the modem directly via ethernet cable to see if there is any broadband signal.

Thanks, Mark
    We don't have an ethernet cable to connect to a computer, if that's what you mean? The router goes directly into the box on the wall though, no splitters or anything. Was just on to my dad there he was saying the internet was up and down the way I described in my original post for the entire weekend. He also said he got a text on Friday the 7th asking if the issue had been resolved and he text back "unresolved" and was told there would be a technician out within 24 hours but no one came.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can you tell me if we are under contract and if so, when it expires?

• Advertisement

We don't have an ethernet cable to connect to a computer, if that's what you mean? The router goes directly into the box on the wall though, no splitters or anything. Was just on to my dad there he was saying the internet was up and down the way I described in my original post for the entire weekend. He also said he got a text on Friday the 7th asking if the issue had been resolved and he text back "unresolved" and was told there would be a technician out within 24 hours but no one came.

EDIT: Forgot to ask, can you tell me if we are under contract and if so, when it expires?

Hi ShelTomato

I sent an escalation to managers in technical support yesterday to check the fault report. I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

I can confirm you are no longer under contract.

Mark

Hi ShelTomato

I sent an escalation to managers in technical support yesterday to check the fault report. I will get back to you as soon as I have an update.

I can confirm you are no longer under contract.

Mark
    Thanks very much for your help

Thanks very much for your help
    No problem.

The case was re-sent to the engineers to check your broadband port at the exchange REF: 11784052

I will follow up with him and try insure he is out as soon as possible and will keep you posted.

Thanks, Mark

Just to update, a new router was delivered last week and there's still no internet! I think at this stage we're gonna call tomorrow and and cancel the service, you said we're no longer under contract so we just need to provide 30 days notice is that correct?

Just to update, a new router was delivered last week and there's still no internet! I think at this stage we're gonna call tomorrow and and cancel the service, you said we're no longer under contract so we just need to provide 30 days notice is that correct?

Hi ShelTomato

Did you connect the new modem and call support to advise it has been received and set up?

Here is a link to the full cancellation process - http://bit.ly/H8bvZQ

Thanks, Mark

• Advertisement
Advertisement