Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to live near Marrowbone Lane / James' Street area in D8 - is it safe?

Options
  • 06-06-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone, we are 3 girls looking to live on Pim Street, in between Marrowbone Lane and James' Hospital. Does anyone have any advice on the area?

I know the Basin St Flats are 2 streets away, and they have a pretty bad reputation! Is it all talk or should we avoid?

Thanks a million for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Basin St flats aren't too bad tbh, and there is also a halting site next to Pim St btw. I live a 10 min walk away, but walk through there a bit at night, never had any bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

In my opinion strongly avoid it.

Have friends that just moved out of that area, it's a rough unpleasant place.

There's far nicer spots around. If your unsure go there this evening and walk around for 20 minutes, local shops, pubs etc and see what vibe you get .

* awaits offended locals saying its a lovely place and they never had any trouble there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You'll be murdered at least three times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Cousin lives near there and loves the area.

But everyone is going to have a different opinion here,best to check the area out yourself at different times of day/night and decide for yourself.No harm in calling into Kevin Street Garda Station and asking the community Garda's honest. opinion of the area too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hammertime wrote: »
    In my opinion strongly avoid it.

Have friends that just moved out of that area, it's a rough unpleasant place.

There's far nicer spots around. If your unsure go there this evening and walk around for 20 minutes, local shops, pubs etc and see what vibe you get .

* awaits offended locals saying its a lovely place and they never had any trouble there.

Cork St would be a "safer" spot imo, but possibly dearer. Walk around Pim St area in the evening/night you'll find a ghost town, possibly not during the summer as it's bright later and kids on holidays, but the worst you'll see if kids playing ball or teenagers have a few cans on the grass near Basin St.

"Rough unpleasant place"? Meh, I've lived in the Tenters 22 years, my mam has been here 52 and we've only ever had two incidents, one burglary and a window in the car put in. Obviously if you're used to living in Howth, Dalkey or somewhere on par you'll find most of the south inner city "rough unpleasant place".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 cait8

Thanks for all your replies - hmm mixed reports! We are going up there tonight, so we'll have a wander and see how many times we get murdered! Feel bad judging an area like this but at the same time..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Viewed an apartment there once.

Was greeted at the entrance by two biyz on horseback.

Didn't appear to be the friendliest of neighbourhoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

I lived in pim street 18 months ago. Only lived there 3 months. Beautiful penthouse apartment but the area really wasn't great. It's like a ghost town at night time, never felt safe walking around there after dark! Also there were always massive gangs of kids hanging around the green the luas stop after school.... and I won't even get started on that luas line at night. The other thing is that I lost count of how many broken car wondows I seen while I lived there. As someone else said there are much nicer areas you can live in! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Cork St would be a "safer" spot imo

This statement says it all :-D

I work around the area, it is rough but as to what is likely to actually happen to you, probably nothing more than elsewhere in the city.

I would steer clear myself if I was you, THOUGH you should weigh it up to the benefits of living very close to work which are huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 cait8

Hi everyone, well we went to see the apartment, everything everyone said above was true - it was both dodgy and grand at the same time, if that makes sense! It was nice walking along the cobbled quiet streets near Guinness's and the Digital Hub, but seemed a bit sparse at the same time, and wouldn't want to walk there alone at night.

Thought we'd think about it for a few hours, and then before we knew it, it was let by someone else!!! That was our decision made for us!

Thanks for all the replies though, really appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you're working in James's Hospital then the other side of the hospital - Kilmainham through to Heuston South Quarter is just as close and has a large range of apartments to choose from.

Advertisement