Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back to work allowance question..

• 06-06-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm leaving my current job at the end of this week to pursue freelancing in my chosen field (design). I was wondering if this allowance is available to me? I was on the dole about 2.5 years ago and had no issue getting it, however I'd like to remain self employed which this specific allowance caters for.

Must I have been on the dole for 12 months prior to being allowed the back to work allowance? I've been hearing conflicting information about this and I'm not sure which is correct.

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

To qualify for the Back to Work Allowance, you must:
    • Be age 23 or over
    • Have been unemployed for 2 years
    And
    • Have an entitlement to Jobseeker's Allowance.
    You may also qualify, no matter what age you are, if you are getting one of the following payments for 15 months (or 12 months if you are aged 50 or over):
    • You have been getting Farm Assist, Pre-Retirement Allowance, One-Parent Family Payment, Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Carer's Allowance (if you are no longer a carer), Invalidity Pension, Deserted Wife's Benefit or Allowance, Prisoner's Wife's Allowance, Incapacity Supplement, Widow's, Widower's or Surviving Civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension or Prisoner's Wife's Allowance. You don't have to be any specific age to qualify in these cases.
    Or
    • You have been getting Illness Benefit for at least 3 years.
    Time spent on FÁS, Failte Ireland, Teagasc, FIT, Community Employment, Job Initiative, 'second chance education courses' (i.e., Back to Education Schemes) and/or time spent in prison are accepted as periods of unemployment.

From here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_allow.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The short term enterprise allowance does not have a qualifying time period. You are interviewed by a jobs facilitator.

I think you will find it difficult to get them to approve you if you have voluntarily left your job.

Advertisement