Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying within the US

Options
  • 06-06-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I know you can you a US driving license as a form of ID for flying within the US, but can you also use a state ID? And I don't need to bring any visa approval proof stuff with me if this is the case? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

As per TSA's website:
    • Drivers Licenses or other state photo identity cards issued by Department of Motor Vehicles (or equivalent)

If you are definitely not leaving the country, you don't need to provide visa documentation (unless you happen to be travelling through Arizona!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Thanks! Why Arizona? Should be a direct flight from Seattle to Vegas anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thanks! Why Arizona?

He might be referring to that nutty publicity-seeking sheriff.

I'm referring to the Arizona SB 1070 Act in which it is a:
    state misdemeanor crime for an alien to be in Arizona without carrying the required documents

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

lil_lisa wrote: »
    I'm referring to the Arizona SB 1070 Act in which it is a:

I'm just curious but my NC driving licence states I'm a legal permanent resident. Do all driving licences not have this??? So would we still need to bring a GC for proof in Arizona??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

My Georgia Drivers License doesn't make any mention of the green card status that I had back in 2007 when I last renewed it. I don't think any Irish person has anything to worry about if they go to Arizona, as long as they are in the US legally, and they hold a state issued form of photo ID that all legal resident can easily acquire.

It may not be politically correct to say so, but the AZ law was brought in to give powers to AZ law enforcement officials that will make the state a less attractive place to go if you are one of the of the thousands of illegal Mexicans that cross the border into AZ every year. They won't ever admit that imo, but there you go. Irish people may "have" to carry proof of their legal status with them at all times, but the odds of the average Irish person ever being pulled over and questioned, compared to their Mexican counterparts would be fairly slim imo.

Yes. Unless you are a US citizen, you need to have your documentation with you at all times in Arizona.

Advertisement