Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land beside oldshopping centre in dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Tis where i learned to drive - wide open space with nothing to hit - within reason. Good to see the space utilised now that the railtrack is gone. If that area behind mourneview was turned into a park or something would be a nice wee place round there in general!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The contracted construction company are slowly but surely taking the old place apart.
    The old escalator will be gone by Monday :(

Meanwhile a load of wino's/druggies have taken residence just outside the temp store building site oppisite Lidl. Another BIG :(

Maybe it was just a day trip out from under Hill St. bridge! Everyone even winos and druggies need a holiday now and again...

The contracted construction company are slowly but surely taking the old place apart.
    The old escalator will be gone by Monday :(

Meanwhile a load of wino's/druggies have taken residence just outside the temp store building site oppisite Lidl. Another BIG :(

That escalator should be taken and preserved as a monument lol. Modern art type thing as a centre piece in the new store:P

Nesta99 wrote: »
    That escalator should be taken and preserved as a monument lol. Modern art type thing as a centre piece in the new store:P
    You could be right on this,the lads on the job just didn't cut the oul escalator to pieces but went about the job in a "dignified " way LOL.
    I reckon it will appear in a beautiful re incarnation somewere down the line.
    I believe the DSC was the first shopping centre in Ireland to have an escalator of this type ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I believe the DSC was the first shopping centre in Ireland to have an escalator of this type ?
    It was a "Flagship" so to speak and that was one of the many talking points about her.

Shame to see her fall into ruin in recent years but I suppose onwards and upwards and this can only serve to rejuvenate that general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I reckon it will appear in a beautiful re incarnation somewere down the line.
    Yep, eBay :P

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Yep, eBay :P

We shall chip in to buy then!! Dya know it is strange how nostalgic one can get over something as simple. I was always desparate to hit the emergency stop button, in a Father Dougall way lol. I grew up round Parnell Park so spent quite a bit of time hanging around that old place (lived next door to one of the security guards so was never moved on:P). The place used to be heaving, bands playing in the foyer, yellow pack biscuits, the fantastic smell of traynors butchers when the sawdust was allowed on the floors of butchers those days. Jewellers at entrance of Crazy Prices...no tat as of recent. Ye could go on and on as in the afore mentioned cinemas, bars, resteraunts, browsing the books in Carrolls, Payphones with those Huuggeee hoods over them so ye could hear (it really was that busy at times). Ah well enough of that and more of this - another 'first' for this site:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/tesco-plans-for-33m-store-being-finalised-26955633.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The escalator is a heap of scrap - I can't see how anybody could be nostalgic about it but to each his own. Maybe it's because I'm much older that I can think of more significant things about the town to lament in their passing.

As for that old news item,the only thing of merit is that the picture shows McDonalds gone.

We shall chip in to buy then!! Dya know it is strange how nostalgic one can get over something as simple. I was always desparate to hit the emergency stop button, in a Father Dougall way lol. I grew up round Parnell Park so spent quite a bit of time hanging around that old place (lived next door to one of the security guards so was never moved on:P). The place used to be heaving, bands playing in the foyer, yellow pack biscuits, the fantastic smell of traynors butchers when the sawdust was allowed on the floors of butchers those days. Jewellers at entrance of Crazy Prices...no tat as of recent. Ye could go on and on as in the afore mentioned cinemas, bars, resteraunts, browsing the books in Carrolls, Payphones with those Huuggeee hoods over them so ye could hear (it really was that busy at times). Ah well enough of that and more of this - another 'first' for this site:

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/tesco-plans-for-33m-store-being-finalised-26955633.html

Ahh the famous brothers,good,sound lads.(btw still there)

Bulldog? was the one i remember and also a gent be the name of Connolly? All good fun 'n games :D

• Advertisement

Ahh the famous brothers,good,sound lads.(btw still there)

Bulldog? was the one i remember and also a gent be the name of Connolly? All good fun 'n games :D

Jimmy Renaghan (spelling)

@Srameen Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Of course its small fry in the context of the town overall but that place was a big part of my youth!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...Renaghan (spelling)...

Renahan, if I recall correctly. There were about 8,000 or 10,000* various brothers, sisters, cousins etc that worked in the Shopping Centre (and the shops therein) in various capacities.

* Might be slight exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,921 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Renahan, if I recall correctly. There were about 8,000 or 10,000* various brothers, sisters, cousins etc that worked in the Shopping Centre (and the shops therein) in various capacities.

* Might be slight exaggeration.

Jimmy and Tommy are still there but they will leave for good when the new store comes into existence I believe.

Jimmy and Tommy are still there ...

Those two and the escalators are going to be installed at the new Dundalk Shopping Centre exhibit in the Louth County Museum!

Those two and the escalators are going to be installed at the new Dundalk Shopping Centre exhibit in the Louth County Museum!

Lol ye never know...There are worse things on display there. Old Ivy marshelled them into the place when it was time to go get a job - she was a brilliant character!!

Lol ye never know...There are worse things on display there. Old Ivy marshelled them into the place when it was time to go get a job - she was a brilliant character!!

She had her head screwed on, that one, right enough!

I believe that there was a partial roof collapse in the old centre today in the Tesco grocery supermarket area.
    Anyone hear anything??

Just heard the same myself. It was during the thunderstorm I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I believe that there was a partial roof collapse in the old centre today in the Tesco grocery supermarket area.
    Anyone hear anything??
    There was indeed, leaks at various points within the Marshes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

• Advertisement

I wonder how many lads were standing under that come claims court?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I wonder how many lads were standing under that come claims court?

There were quite a few attempting to gain entry oddly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Couldnt have happened at a better time in fairness, all they need is a bit of duct tape to last a few weeks.

Whens the shed opening up anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Ah nostalgia!

I remember going to Carrolls Bookshop upstairs with my dad when I was little. When we were heading back down he let me feel grown up by going down the escalators in front of me. I could go up ok, but going down was scary!

I got stuck at the top while my dad was on his way down... with a queue forming behind me. I managed to stumble on, and the man behind me had to steady me; while my dad was on his way back up to rescue me!

It was quite traumatic at the time and my dad felt pretty bad. I was scared of those escalators for a while after that!

When the Center opened in 1974 it had a Penneys.
    The same security man, Francie Callan, is still working for Penneys in the Marshes nearly 40 years later. A nice man.

When the Center opened in 1974 it had a Penneys.
    The same security man, Francie Callan, is still working for Penneys in the Marshes nearly 40 years later. A nice man.

100% correct;and a DundalkFC legend too.
    A gentleman & a scholar.

100% correct;and a DundalkFC legend too.
    A gentleman & a scholar.

Wasnt such a gentleman and a scholar on the pitch so im told, quite able to look after himself shall we say lol:D

But he is one hell of a nice man!

Wasnt such a gentleman and a scholar on the pitch so im told, quite able to look after himself shall we say lol:D

But he is one hell of a nice man!

He played in the old First Division in England for Doncaster Rovers when they were a big team. Was a great player and also spent many years working with Minor league in town.

• Advertisement

Almost there.

Advertisement