Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

land beside oldshopping centre in dundalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

cargo wrote: »
    I suppose they are afraid of people fecking off for 2 years and not coming back from Dunnes / Lidl etc or wherever they do their shopping in the meantime.

2 Years!!!!! I hope the new Tesco will be built faster than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is that hump back bridge going to be there for ever as I know the story behind it but man is it a pain in the behind.

Does anyone remember the other one on the Alphonous Road (Cant Spell)

The bridge itself doesn't cause any problems - it's only a hill after all, it's the junctions around it that are the problem. Life must be sweet if Hill St bridge is all the pain you have.
    The hill, it could be argued, is a great part of the history of Dundalk. Get rid of it and all you'll hear in years to come is "do you remember..." As you did above about Alphonsus Rd.
    I'm sure it will go when it has to for road development.

As for Alphonsus Rd, of course we remember it. It's hardly a lifetime ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Motor-Ed

The bridge itself doesn't cause any problems - it's only a hill after all, it's the junctions around it that are the problem. Life must be sweet if Hill St bridge is all the pain you have.
    The hill, it could be argued, is a great part of the history of Dundalk. Get rid of it and all you'll hear in years to come is "do you remember..." As you did above about Alphonsus Rd.

Frida Brave Mouthful
    Take a Snickers will ya! :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

There was a guy knocked down and very seriously injured there on the slip road leading down to the Avenue Road a few years ago (2 or 3) and the hill/hump would have contributed to the restricted view of the driver as he came over it and down the slip so it would be a safety improvement.

Also isnt the plan then to run a road from the new roundabout up along the old trackline to somewhere up past Oriel Park or back to the New Roundabout past Paypal on the road out to the Motorway (Inner Relief Road). I must dig out the plans and have a look. It might take some traffic away from the nearby junctions as a lot of people want to go up past the Garda Station/Harp direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

There was a guy knocked down and very seriously injured there on the slip road leading down to the Avenue Road a few years ago (2 or 3) and the hill/hump would have contributed to the restricted view of the driver as he came over it and down the slip so it would be a safety improvement.

Also isnt the plan then to run a road from the new roundabout up along the old trackline to somewhere up past Oriel Park or back to the New Roundabout past Paypal on the road out to the Motorway (Inner Relief Road). I must dig out the plans and have a look. It might take some traffic away from the nearby junctions as a lot of people want to go up past the Garda Station/Harp direction.
    20 year plan.
    Every new engineer has a plan(you wont get employed by LCC unless you have one) for a round- a- bout in Dundalk.The point that the town has has no real snarl up areas is annoying to most of them.Leave well enough alone i say.All work fine.GRMA

• Advertisement

I don't mean to pull this off topic but there is ample visibility to that slip. Only excessive speed would result in insufficient time to see it. The problem is the junction itself.

Yes, there are plans to pull a road through there and, as I said, the bridge will have to come away for road development. But, I reiterate, the bridge in itself is not the cause of the poor traffic flow.

I reiterate, the bridge in itself is not the cause of the poor traffic flow.

Saying it more times doesn't make it any more true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Saying it more times doesn't make it any more true.

You're right. It doesn't make it more true. That's because 'true' doesn't have graduations. Something's either true or it isn't. And what Srameen said is true. So, nothing could make it "more true".

You're right. It doesn't make it more true. That's because 'true' doesn't have graduations. Something's either true or it isn't. And what Srameen said is true. So, nothing could make it "more true".
    I sometimes wonder if people have ever used things they talk about, it's pretty incredible.

So, just to be clear, the steep hill has no effect on vehicles' time taken to start moving or the number of vehicles that get through on a green sequence?
    Having 2 lanes rather than one wouldn't aid traffic flow coming from the ramparts, some of which wants to turn right before the bridge? I've been in traffic backed around to the brewery because of problems at the bridge.

I sometimes wonder if people have ever used things they talk about.....

Not that it has any relevance, but I have used that traffic system 4 times a day, 6 days a week for 43 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's cheap rooms in the Fairways lads.

Not that it has any relevance, but I have used that traffic system 4 times a day, 6 days a week for 43 years!

And you don't think that removing the hill and increasing the number of cars through in each sequence would help? You don't think that being able to widen the road to 2 lanes in each direction would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Is not possible for the bridge to be an already in place overpass where the planned extension to millenium Rd could follow the route of the railway line under the bridge? there is a vacant cottage/house and field across from the b+b that a slip road could be built to access the Milennium road, then there is plenty of space at the Stapleton Place/Stapleton Drive/Parnell Park junction, the cause of the snarl up in that area, to build a round-a-bout (i hear ye 10gb) with a spur that could run along Parnell Park Cresent and joining Millenium Rd from that side. Now there is access to Millenium Rd from Dublin Rd, Dublin St, Ramparts, maybe new Tesco and even Avenue Rd without removing the bridge. Traffic from inner relief rd and that end of town now have a fairly direct route to the M1 (assuming that the Millenium Rd is extended to the roundabout on the Southern Link Rd at Heynestown) and visa versa. Traffic would subsequently be taken away from Hill St Bridge junction. Add in access from Millenium Rd to Ardee Rd and link Ardee Rd to Carrick Rd at Ballybarrack and there ye go, my solve it all in one go traffic plan for Dundalk if money wasnt an obstacle :p

Does any of this make sense?

Now maybe i have space out of proportion eg width of bridge arch, green areas either side of the steps into Parnell Park that could facilitate a road of sufficient size??

Seen a sign today at the old DSC,basically saying Tesco closing on Sunday 8th December and re-opening in the temp store on Monday the 9th December.Traynors butchers also moving then.

Google has updated it's maps for Dundalk recently and you can see all the piles they drove to place the new temporary structures on.

http://goo.gl/maps/GjAUK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Some mess now. Front entrance toppled this morning.

mod9maple wrote: »

They can hardly build the new store without a "mess".

Eggs, omelettes, and all that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They can hardly build the new store without a "mess".

Eggs, omelettes, and all that. :)

When I saw the word toppled I thought the weather had taken it down! Picture clarifies.

I feel a bit sad looking at that picture.
    I had been in that store nearly every day since it opened in the early 1970's.
    I will miss it.

Where was that picture taken from? Can't make out the angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I feel a bit sad looking at that picture.
    I had been in that store nearly every day since it opened in the early 1970's.
    I will miss it.

Where was that picture taken from? Can't make out the angle.

Looks like the Stapleton Place apartments

• Advertisement

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Looks like the Stapleton Place apartments

Top floor apartment, Stapleton Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Top floor apartment, Stapleton Place.

Thought as much, was meant to rent one only I got lobbed with the family dog :P

If you look at the very right of that photo you will see part of the new structure in place already. Bit hard to make it out in the dull daylight but you should see a light grey steel structure coming together.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

Havent been home for a while and the site is completely different from the last time I seen it.
    Hill Street
    4uke.jpg
    Lidl Car Park
    0vc1.jpg

Anyone know the completion or opening dates for the new Tesco?

Anyone know the completion or opening dates for the new Tesco?
    Opening August i believe.

Noticed as i passed by this evening that there are at least 10 new traffic light units at the junction of Iron Road and the entrance to the new Tesco development(Sorry, couldn't get a photo).Rapid progress being made atm.

Noticed as i passed by this evening that there are at least 10 new traffic light units at the junction of Iron Road and the entrance to the new Tesco development(Sorry, couldn't get a photo).Rapid progress being made atm.

Yeah there's a few poles covered up on the entrance to Lidl also. I wonder what the final arrangement is for traffic management here?

Looks like a petrol station going there too.

• Advertisement

Looks like a petrol station going there too.

Yeah that was in the planning application. i must dig it out and have a look at it again. The newly opened Ramparts River looks well in front of the new structure.

Advertisement